U.S. Administrator Imposes Flat Tax System on Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ian McCracken, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ahhh, the beauty of starting from scratch! Sometimes, often times really, I wish we could scrap our convoluted tax system and start all over. Good luck, Iraq! You don't know how lucky you are not to be burdened with liberals!

U.S. Administrator Imposes Flat Tax System on Iraq

By Dana Milbank and Walter Pincus
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Sunday, November 2, 2003; Page A09

The flat tax, long a dream of economic conservatives, is finally getting its day -- not in the United States, but in Iraq.

It took L. Paul Bremer, the U.S. administrator in Baghdad, no more than a stroke of the pen Sept. 15 to accomplish what eluded the likes of publisher Steve Forbes, Reps. Jack Kemp (R-N.Y.) and Richard K. Armey (R-Tex.), and Sen. Phil Gramm (R-Tex.) over the course of a decade and two presidential campaigns.

"The highest individual and corporate income tax rates for 2004 and subsequent years shall not exceed 15 percent," Bremer wrote in Coalition Provisional Authority Order Number 37, "Tax Strategy for 2003," issued last month.

Voilà! Iraq has a flat tax, and the 15 percent rate is even lower than Forbes (17 percent) and Gramm (16 percent) favored for the United States. And, unless a future Iraqi government rescinds it, the flat tax will remain long after the Americans have left.

"It's extremely good news," said Grover Norquist, head of Americans for Tax Reform and a Bush administration ally. Bremer's vaguely worded edict leaves open the possibility that Iraqis could face different levels of taxation below 15 percent, but "they told me it's a flat rate and it appears as though it's a flat rate," Norquist said. The tax fighter added: "It might be a hint to the rest of us."

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    There's insanity...and then there's insanity.

And then there's this: Conservatives cheering about a fvcking flat tax in Iraq!

You know what would really solve the mess in Iraq? Tort reform. Trust me on this one :rolleyes:

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like a parody.

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Post of the year. Great comedy, Ian.

5. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Did Iraqis ever pay tax before under Saddam?

6. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the reactionaries ever stop lying? We already have a flat tax in the Unites States, and surprise surprise, it's roughly 18%. Proof here, here and here.

You know so little about so many things, Ian, that it's downright frightening. Educate yourself about anything before blowing your load about it here.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    liberal

SYLLABICATION: lib·er·al
    PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: lbr-l, lbrl KEY
    ADJECTIVE: 1a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry. b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded. c. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism. d. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States

i don't know ian, iraq strikes me as a place that could benefit from such people - since when did being liberal become such a bad thing?

8. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    So if you hate America so much, why don't you move to Iraq?

9. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Re: U.S. Administrator Imposes Flat Tax System on Iraq

They didn't have any money. How do you think he built all those palaces?

10. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We're talking about Income Taxes here, obie, but thanks for playing. And, the original article (NY Times) that your data is based on had a gazillion holes blown thru it.

11. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, so I don't have to pay FICA or Medicare or state or property or sales or excise taxes? Thanks, Mr. Emancipator.
    Prove it.

12. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    How many holes do you want, punk?

[​IMG]

13. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, go for as many as you want. I'll give you two to start:

-- If you add back in welfare payments or other government expenditure programs, the bottom quintile moves to a lower percentage. But the other four remain pretty much the same.
    -- If you add in retirees, everything goes screwy because retirees typically have no wage income but high wealth, for which interest income is taxed.

Neither of those two things repudiate my assertion that the highest wage earners do not, on average, get soaked nearly as badly as supply-siders and reactionaries would have the general public believe. And it's based on government stats -- if you or Ian can come up with some plausible reason why our own BLS is bullshitting us, go right ahead. But whatever it is, it has to compare somebody earning money right now in, say, the middle quintile vs. someone earning money right now in any of the other quintiles.

And how someone can complain about high federal marginal income tax rates while ignoring all of the other taxes we pay is totally amazing. It's like complaining about your canker sore while there's a massive malignant tumor growing out of your forehead.

14. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I used to trumpet the flat tax until I did the math. F that. A flat tax would crush me financially.