U-23 Callups

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Eski, Carrol and Stokes have all been called up for the match on Wednesday against Haiti, according to some E-mail I got from United..

Sachin

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing wrong with that because Stokes, in particular, is not getting a minute of playing time. Eski has gotten some, but its tailed off, and Carrol has been in the same position.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I guess we should thank Mooch for not calling up Warren and Convey for this game and risking them getting hurt before United's biggest game since MLS Cup 99.

4. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    This will be the only call up for these three, once the full pool is available Mooch has better options sadly.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Article on the call up as well as an interview with Myernick. He seems high on Esky and says that he didn't call in Convey because they don't want to "overtax him". He also says that Warren would have been called in if he a) wasn't starting and b) if DC wasn't in such a tough race.

Akwari, Buddle and Martino were all called up from Columbus.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/NationalTeams/20031014110712/view

6. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Sounds like some of you think they won't be back for Sunday. They will be, "All three players will be back in time for United’s next match, a crucial home fixture against the Columbus Crew on Sunday, October 19th at 4:00 p.m. D.C. needs only a draw to lock up a playoff position for the first time since the 1999 season."

http://dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=209358

7. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Re: Re: U-23 Callups

Big problem with that, mostly because I think our guys should be getting playing time before they're considered for the U23s. Don't we have enough guys under 23 that are getting playing time to build a game around guys that get to play?

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: U-23 Callups

No.

Also consider that the Euro players weren't called in and that the Fire and MetroStars, which both have a large contingency of U23 players, have the USOC Final tomorrow and are thus unavailable.

9. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    According to Jordan Stone, who's writing on 3rddergree.net all three of our guys are starting the game. I just noticed that Sandon on the Youth board expressed surpise in Carroll and Stokes starting, both over guys who have been playing in MLS (Akwari and Trembly). Maybe our kids aren't so bad....

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    We would know that too, if Hudson ever played them. Seriously, those players combined have less than one half of actual MLS gametime. Why in the hell didn't Hudson play them sooner?

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For the record, I don't think they're bad.

The reason I was surprised they were starting over guys who are getting lots of minutes is that in the article that has Mooch quoted, he emphasized the importance of playing for your club and, as we all know, Carroll and Stokes haven't played a minute in an MLS game while Trembly and Akwari each have started several games.

That Stokes and Carroll are starting over them tells me that they have game and that Ray really should have played them earlier this year. But, I've already argued that ad nauseum on other threads on this board and I don't want this to get too off topic.

12. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I expect Ray to come out with some BS about these callups hurting us because he was really planning on using Carroll or Stokes this week. :rolleyes:

13. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    I thought it interesting that Casey Schmidt is on the team. Does he have any experience with the youth teams? Is this his first shot?

14. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    starting positions

If you look at the US Soccer website, you'll see that for the most part, Carroll and Eskandarian have started in most all of the U23 games. They have pretty much had the same group of guys at this age group for the last 5 years - U17s and U20s. I believe Eski holds the most goals for the team in their matches so far this year, and Carroll has also scored several goals. That might help you along with why Mooch is starting who he is starting - he has actually SEEN them play in numerous games and knows what they are capable of. But far be it from me to suggest that Ray made a mistake this season - wouldn't want to beat a dead horse:)

1. U.S. SOCCER: Myernick calls up 18 players for U.S.-Haiti U-23 friendly

U.S. under-23 coach Glenn Myernick called up 18 players -- 16 from
    MLS and one each from the A-League and college ranks -- for the
    friendly against Haiti Wednesday in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

The game is a tuneup for the second-round series in Olympic
    qualifying Nov. 15 and Nov. 19 against St. Kitts & Nevis.

Missing are U-23 candidates from the Chicago Fire and MetroStars, who
    meet Wednesday in the U.S. Open Cup final at Giants Stadium.

Haiti clinched a spot in the second round of qualifying in the
    CONCACAF region with a 1-0 victory the Dominican Republic Sunday at
    Miami's Orange Bowl.

U.S. U-23 ROSTER:

Goalkeepers -- D. J. Countess (Dallas Burn), Josh Saunders (San Jose
    Earthquakes). Defenders -- Nelson Akwari (Columbus Crew), Nat
    Borchers (Colorado Rapids), Ricky Lewis (Los Angeles Galaxy), David
    Stokes (D.C. United), Chris Wingert (St. John's Univ.). Midfielders
    -- Kyle Beckerman (Colorado Rapids), Brian Carroll (D.C. United),
    Kyle Martino (Columbus Crew), Jordan Stone (Dallas Burn), David Testo
    (Richmond Kickers), Seth Trembly M Colorado Rapids). Forwards --
    Edson Buddle (Columbus Crew), Landon Donovan (San Jose Earthquakes),
    Alecko Eskandarian (D.C. United), Eddie Johnson (Dallas Burn), Casey
    Schmidt (Colorado Rapids).

15. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Interesting that he called up Martino but not Convey and/or Warren. Maybe Columbus isn't in a "tough race"

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That struck me as odd, too. Especially since he says in the article that Martino is fragile.

17. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Convey is U-20 captain

18. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Well I can understand Convey not getting the callup. The kid is burnt to a crisp, at least with DCU. I just hope that being at the U-20 Youth Championship gets his love of the game back.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: U-23 Callups

Well, being that this is under the DC forum, i was looking at it from DC's perspective, not from the u-23 perspective. And from DC's perspective, there is nothing wrong with them going to play for the u-23's, because they weren't going to play for DCU anyway this week.

20. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    I think the "overtaxing" comment had to do with Convey playing for several US teams this year. He was with the U20s, USM, starting or playing in most. I know Martino was called into some of the USM's games, but I don't know about the U20 teams.

21. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to continue beating the dead horse by saying:

Carroll played well last night against Haiti. He combined with Wingert well through the midfield and sent in a few nice through balls and crosses. He richly deserves some minutes at DCU.

Stokes also played surprisingly well. He is very confident with the ball at his feet but needs to continue to increase his speed of thought as well as his his poise/patience. He had several one-on-one defending situations last night and mostly came out on top. He also deserves minutes and has a ton of potential.

22. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Geez, that really puts things in perspective.