U-21 Qualification

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Area 51, Aug 28, 2015.

1. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Holy cow Goncalves dribbled 5 Bosnian players on that 2nd goal... pretty impressive. The defenders were like statues but ... still ... he gets a pretty spectacular solo goal.
    On the other hand, our keeper on that last goal... holy cow what a horror-show.

2. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Goncalves goal was brutal.

The Bosnian keeper wasn't much better, the first goal was a major "frango" and even in the Goncalves goal he looked way too slow too react, although it was difficult as the ball could easily have gone both ways.

I wouldn't be too surprised if someone made a lot of money from betting on this game.....Then again, it's probably nothing.

3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A selecção portuguesa de futebol de sub-21 vai defrontar a Polónia no play-off de qualificação para o Europeu de 2019, cuja fase final se realiza em Itália e São Marino, ditou o sorteio realizado nesta sexta-feira em Nyon (Suíça).

Portugal, finalista vencido em 1994, frente à Itália, e em 2015, perante a Suécia, vai discutir o apuramento com a Polónia em dois jogos, em casa e fora, entre 12 e 20 de Novembro de 2018, enquanto a outra eliminatória vai opor a Grécia à Áustria.

Os dois vencedores dos play-off juntam-se às 10 selecções já qualificadas: Itália, anfitriã da fase final do Campeonato da Europa de sub-21, entre 16 e 30 de Junho de 2019, Bélgica, Croácia, Dinamarca, Inglaterra, França, Alemanha, Roménia, Sérvia e Espanha.

https://www.publico.pt/2018/10/19/d...nta-polonia-playoff-acesso-euro-sub21-1848151

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Rui Jorge announced his squad for the upcoming playoff vs. Poland. Gedson Fernandes, who was previously called to the Senior Team, is included:

Goalkeepers: João Virgínia (Everton), Joel Pereira (Vitória de Setúbal), Diogo Costa (FC Porto)

Defenders: Diogo Leite (FC Porto), Fernando Fonseca (FC Porto), Francisco Ferreira (Benfica), Ivanildo Fernandes (Moreirense), Jorge Fernandes (Tondela), Pedro Amaral (Benfica), Yuri Ribeiro (Benfica).

Midfielders: André Horta (Los Angeles FC), Gedson Fernandes (Benfica), João Carvalho (Nottingham Forest), João Félix (Benfica), Pereira Lage (Clermont Foot), Pêpê (Vitória de Setúbal), Stephen Eustaquio (Desportivo de Chaves), Bruno Costa (FC Porto).

Forwards: Diogo Gonçalves (Nottingham Forest), Diogo Jota (Wolverhampton), Rafael Leão (Lille), Heriberto Tavares (Moreirense), João Filipe (Benfica).

5. SportingPT

SportingPT New Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Nov 12, 2018
    Virgínia

Fonseca
    Ferro
    Leite
    Yuri

Eustáquio
    Gedson
    Horta
    Félix

Leão
    Diogo Jota

6. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Portugal just beat Poland 1-0 in the first leg. The second leg is Tuesday in Chaves.

Diogo Jota scored the only goal on a counter in the first half from a Joao Felix assist. I only tuned in after halftime (on my phone via a Reddit stream), and Portugal was solid in the back. There's wasn't a whole lot of the match played in the middle of the pitch, so there was a lot of defending to do in the final third.

Fortunately, Poland didn't create anything clear-cut, though it pumped plenty of crosses into the box. Joel Pereira tipped one long-range shot over the bar and his best save of the half came on what would've been an own goal. The cross hit off a Portuguese defender's leg and was headed for the corner, but Pereira got down at the last second to swipe it away.

Portugal's attack was mostly on the counter, and left a lot to be desired. Jota came off pretty early and his replacement Tavares almost assisted a second goal, cutting back near the end line and sending a nice pass across goal to the onrushing Joao Carvalho, but he didn't have a great angle and sent it at the keeper's chest.

Other than that Portugal did a poor job holding possession in the Poland half, dribbling too much, etc. That said, Portugal was focused on keeping the 1-0 advantage and never sent more than two or three attackers up field. There were some potentially dangerous counters that fizzled out to nothing, but Poland deserves some credit there. Both defenses covered a lot of ground and did a good job at preventing dangerous opportunities. They didn't let the attackers settle with the ball.

Gotta score first on Tuesday and put this thing to bed.

7. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    HandofAbel repped this.
  9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Should have had a pk or 2 the referee doesn't really understand the rules and allowed play on to continue despite not having advantage and despite only a goal being scored waves off a pk.

10. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My bad

11. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    JoseEmidio repped this.
  12. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    great pass he looked up saw were our player was running were the defenders were and just placed the ball into jota to tap in

13. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'm unable to find a stream of the match, but Poland scored in the fifth and eighth minutes to make Portugal's first leg away goal immediately meaningless. Nice work, fellas.

14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    3-0 Poland within the first half hour. What a disaster...

15. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Same here, the stream I had went off. Incredible how you go from a comforting away win to being crush at home. Jota is junk and so is the keeper.

16. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    The approach has been much too soft and casual. There has been a few dramatic results lately so let's hope these kids are able to turn things around in an equally dramatic fashion.

17. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    There's one link on the Reddit page for soccer streams, but it's not for mobile (which does me no good). Not that I care to watch unless Portugal can get a goal back soon.

It seems like this Portugal squad must have thought it could just show up today and get a positive result on home soil.

18. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    At this level you never know. A senior level game like this would basically be done and dusted at this point, but under-anything matches are a bit less predictable.

19. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    http://www.sportcategory.com/c-1.html

Two of the four links on here work for me but it is Polish.

Portugal started too relaxed, Poland came out with purpose two oportunities and two goals in the first 10 minutes. When we were getting back into the game Poland scored again (24th minute).

This Poland team was unbeaten before that 0-1 Home loss, we had lost twice before that in the group stages.

20. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Thanks. The first link I tried is working on my phone.

21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Portugal already should've scored, but Andre Horta, with tons of time and space, sent an uncontested shot from eight yards out and straight on directly at the keeper, who was just standing there flat-footed. The keeper has since made a diving save.

Might've been nice to start the match this way, guys!

22. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    1-3 let's see if we get to see a remontada

23. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Goal. Cross from the right, Diogo Jota heads it down and into the net.

3-1, 53rd min.

24. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    If Portugal can keep applying this pressure the match is going to seem awfully long for Poland, who, to its credit, is still looking eager to counter.

Diogo Goncalves provided the assist, BTW. I didn't realize he was lining up as a RB for this Portugal squad until today.

25. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Another excellent chance for Portugal, but it's blocked. Then a cross from the left gets to Goncalves' right foot at the back post, but his side-foot deflection is wide. Actually, I think it hit the post too.

This is really close to being 3-2, one might even call Portugal unlucky to not have a second already. That said, I'm prepared for Poland to get a wide open counter that ends with a clinical finish.

Nice response either way. Just under a half hour remaining. Portugal starting to look tired.