U-21 Call-ups for 3 day Training Session

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, May 4, 2007.

1. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Aquilani and Chiellini are automatic picks considering that they've already received previous call ups to the Azzurri squad, and they're already playing regular first team football with their respective clubs. Other very solid shots are Pazzini, Rossi, Curci, Montolivo, Potenza, Andreolli, and Rosina. Actually, if you stop and think about it this is such a talented group that they all pretty much have a shot at star status down the road.

If I had to pick a certain few names though I'd say Aquilani, Chiellini, Rosina, and Pazzini. These four are playing so well now that they might even have a solid shot at next year's Euro!

2. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So I guess Lupoli didn't make the cut and will just be a part of the new U21 side.

3. forzaitalia06

forzaitalia06 New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    IMO Curci, Potenza and Chiellini are not NT material and I would say the only 2 that should be on the senior squad for Euro 08 are Montolivo and Rosina with Aquilani and Pazzini being pretty close and if they improve maybe making it also

And trust me, Criscito>Chiellini

If he is given a chance at Juve next year I expect Criscito to make the Euro 08 squad

4. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    hopefully he stays at genoa one more season on loan :p

5. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Curci and Potenza are not NT material. Agreed there. However, Chiellini has a bright future as a CENTRAL defender. As a fullback, he is too tall and lanky and just doesn't have the skill to get down the wing consistently. As a central defender he has the size, speed, vision, and enough skill to be a star there. Hopefully Juve will keep him at CB and he will shine.

6. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    By the way, has anyone noticed that Nocerino is CAPTAIN of Piacenza? He's been amazing this year for them. I don't ever recall an U-21 player being captain of any team. He's got a non-stop motor but also great skill to finish.

He's a star in the making. I'd do cartwheels if Juve gets him.

7. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yep, good talent, like you said he can win balls ala Gattuso but is also very gifted technically and can score.

Juve are planning on sending him out on loan this summer, with several Serie A sides interested.

8. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    uaglio

well I don't know if this counts, but nesta was captain at lazio when he was 22 I believe, so he was still eligible to play for the u21s at that time, but no I can't recall anyone being a captain while still playing for the azzurrini. that is iirc. maybe nesta didn't get the band at that time.

9. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nocerino and Criscito. Both born in Naples, both owned by Juve:( . If only Napoli could keep the talent that comes out of our city ...