U-20s vs Brazil [R]

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by dheck, Aug 29, 2002.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cronin was named the goalie of the tournament.

2. Scrandal

Scrandal Member

Nov 5, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    General Thoughts

Rongen deserves some credit for putting the team together as he has. After some average performances in Texas the team excelled here in Spain, especially the defense. I'm impressed that they played so well as a unit over the last week. One would wonder if Rongen might leave a Whitbread or Simek off the qualifier squad as they haven't trained a great deal with the squad. There's a lot to be said for combinations of players knowing what each one does and the insertion of a new player (s) might through that askew.

The offense really came alive this week with Magee, Johnson, and Johnson all impressing for the articles. Here's to hoping Magee signs at Ajax asap. Just training with the Ajax 1 and playing perhaps for Ajax 2 squad is better than half the Dutch Eredivisie.

As for the midfield it appears as though Barclay is starting to turn into another Bennie Olsen and Ricardo Clark sounds like another Chris Armas.

Can't wait to see these guys in Charleston at what I hear is a great stadium.

Can't forget Cronin in goal as well, you got love a keeper who has the ganas to come up for corners at the end of the game and has strong skills out in the pitch.

The pieces seem to have fallen together nicely for this squad. I just hope college ball can keep some of these guys sharp for November.

Thanks to all you guys, D26 especially, for finding and getting this info to us all.

3. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

May 18, 2002
    2nd Half Formation Change

One small side note. It is interesting that Rongen switched to s 3-5-2 for the first time in the tournament in the second half. Though no goal resulted, it sounded like the formation change gave the tactical advantage to the U.S. as well as the better shot opportunities.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    does anybody know who won the Golden Ball award (MVP if I have the wrong name). And anybody have any guesses as to who our best player was? from reading the reports my guess would have been Eddie Johnson. He seems to posses awsome athletic ability, with skill, a deadly header. Literally a complete forward

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Dunno who won the awards and didn't see the competition, but IMHO Johnson is the best US player of this group. If you had included Santino and Convey, Johnson would still be my pick. He really is the complete player. He even plays defense well.

Why he hasn't seen time on the pitch for Dallas is beyond me. I know they're doing well and all, but it's a travesty to let him rot on the bench, and it's a disservice to the US Nats IMHO.

The Burn should trade him to DC United for the first overall SuperDraft pick. At DC he'd play a lot, and I'm sure Jeffries could find someone very good with the top overall pick.

-Tron

6. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    http://www.panorama-actual.es/Deportes/not79516.htm

This article discussed (before the semis) the best players in the tournament as seen by the technical committee led by the German U-20 coach Uli Steilke.

Mike Magee, Ruben Olivera (Uru), and Marco Tavares (Bra) all finished with 4 goals.

The technical staff was most impressed by Olivera (Uru), Daniel (Bra), and Caca (Bra).

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Dallas would want more than that first overall pick. Probably a second or third rounder and a mid-level player.

However, I think it's moot as I'm guessing that Jeffries will slowly increase EJ's playing time.

And, for the record, just because he's not playing a lot for the Burn does not mean he's rotting, as his performance in Spain would indicate. Remember, we've been sort of jaded by seeing teenagers starting for DC United. But, keep in mind that that is an abberation. Tino and Convey are getting regular PT basically because United sucks and has sucked the past 3 seasons.

By contrast, the Burn are a playoff team and this season are in a legit position to win 3 pieces of hardware. Playing time is tough to come by on a team like this, particularly an 18-year old.

The amount of PT that Johnson has been getting is more typical of how young players get minutes than what is going on in DC.

Johnson's time will come but just because he isn't playing doesn't mean he isn't rotting or developing.

8. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It basically applies to anybody that signs a contract, whether they are in the reserves or not.

As far as signing a player, say in mid-September, and letting him train with you, I'm not clear on how that would be interpreted by the powers that be. Your premise sounds good, however. I could see Magee doing this.

IIRC, he trained with Ajax, Cafe Opera (Sweden) and Viking (Norway). I don't think the clubs in Sweden or Norway whould pay him for four months, when their season ends in November (IIRC). Norway and Sweden play the same time as MLS. I just don't think they would do it. Ajax could and Magee would end up in their U19 squad at the beginning of the year.

I think short term - looking ahead to the U20 WCQ - he might be better off training with Chicago Fire. I don't know when Chicago Sockers play, but I would imagine he can get a game with them if he wanted to. I think training with Chicago Fire would be just as good as training with any club in Sweden or Norway, though probably not better than with Ajax (unless he only trains with their U19's).

9. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Nice Result

Actually, Magee might really, really luck out. Because the 31st is a Saturday, the Bundesliga (and I imagine the other leagues) are only closing the transfer window at 12 Noon on Monday... which just happens to be the 2nd of September. ;)

As for the Brazil game, look at the "intangibles": Corners 5-2 in favor of the U.S., Fouls 12-24 in favor of the U.S. (if you view less fouls as "favorable"). Sounds as though we totally stepped up the pressure in the second half, forcing a number of great saves.

When's the last time you saw a Brazil team, at ANY level, resort to fouling TWICE as much as their opponent to keep up with the pace of play? That, in and of itself, is plenty impressive. :D

10. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

May 18, 2002
    EJ's Playing Time

I know I sound like a broken record, but here goes again. EJ's playing time with the Burn is based upon two factors - the quality of his practice time and the performance on the pitch (when he gets in). EJ has always performed well with players of his own age. He has consistently disappointed when he has stepped on the pitch with older, stronger, and wiser players (at least until now). For example, look at the old threads about his performance as a starter in the earlier U.S. Open Cup game. EJ will be a star for the U.S. National Team one day. Just give him time to mature. And, like Sandon says, his playing time with Dallas will increase - just not this year.

11. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: EJ's Playing Time

I think Bethlehem hits the nail on the head re EJ. I saw him play in the U17 World Championships last year and he was, in my opinion, far and away the best US player. He has also appeared to excel at this recent tournament, against players roughly his own age. On the other hand, on the 3 or 4 occasions I have seen him play with the Burn, he appears tentative. He played the last 10 or 15 minutes of a game that was the MLS Soccer Saturday game on ESPN2 a month or 2 ago, and Dave Dir (I think) was the color guy and he mentioned the same thing - that EJ had been tentative in his recent outings with the Burn. Sure enough, EJ, while showing flashes, was basically too tentative and was a non-factor. Also, keep in mind that he was injured at the beginning of the MLS season, so he didn't play much the 1st half of the season, and with the Burn playing well, PT was hard to come by.

I do think, obviously, that he needs to find a situation in which he plays more. While it was pointed out above the SQ and Convey get a lot of PT with DCU b/c DC "sucks", I think those 2 would get lots of PT with most MLS teams. I also think EJ would get more PT with most MLS teams, just not Dallas. WHile EJ may not be "rotting on the bench", he certainly is not thriving and improving by sitting.

12. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

May 18, 2002
    GNK's Comments about EJ

You are correct. EJ is not rotting on the Burn bench but he is not improving quickly. And he would get more playing time on many other teams. We need to be patient. EJ is the real deal. He will just develop more slowly because of his maturity (or somewhat lack thereof).

13. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    They might take Santino for EJ. No way they take Bobby Convey. And DC can surely use this high-quality SD pick more than the Burn can right now. After all the pro-DC bias over the years in this league when it comes to allocation of young stars, the Burn are going to keep the ace that is dealt to us, thank you.

I was at the US Open game, and Eddie hasn't broken through yet, but it's a matter of time...in many ways he appears to be a better A-mid than striker, since his passing and ball control seem to be ahead of his striking proficiency at the senior level. The kid really is really VERY good NOW, just not at scoring. When that comes, watch out.

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    RE: EJ

Also remember that he missed a good part at the beginning of the season because of a high ankle sprain (which was almost a broken bone). So he had also been recovering from a painful injury.

15. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    EJ may one day develope and its far too early to give up on him yet. I've heard he suffers from maturity and commitment problems. It's cool to live w/ you parents until you're ready to move on, after all, Michael Owen lived w/ his until he turned 18 and he turned out just dandy.
    I'm in favor of the burn shipping Qaurantana for EJ, but they'd prob want something else-like a 2k3 1st rounder-that might put him out of our price range.

Just how good is this youth team anyway? We seem to be going in the right direction but the only footage I have is a 30min snip on a crusty tape from last
    yr where the US lost 5:3 to France in the toulon. EJ looked unstoppable and Santino was great in the set up. I've never seen mcgee & there was an article on soccer365 about our youth in england being denied by Arsenal a chance to join the team. Are they any good or are they just Kirvosky clones? I saw that DC paired him w/ etchescary in the middle. Were or will these matches be televised? I mean, we did capture 2nd place.

16. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    OK, you guys are misunderstanding what I was saying. Let me try to be more clear. :)

The ONLY reason I was suggesting moving EJ was because he was NOT getting playing time.

EJ was drafted #18 overall in the same draft that Santino was drafted #8 overall. Santino is LOCAL to DC (Baltimore) and puts people in the stands. Santino has produced wonderfully for DC and he will not be traded ... there's no reason. In fact, Hudson thinks he's the most talented player on the team and too talented for MLS. If Santino leaves it will likely be for Europe, not another MLS side.

United gains nothing by trading a promising young striker for another if they are equally talented. That wasn't the point.

If EJ and Santino were traded, Santino would then sit on the bench for Dallas. That lack of playing time is THE PROBLEM, and it wouldn't be solved by exchanging young phenoms.

My proposal was to get EJ time on the pitch, not take Santino's time and give it to EJ. They BOTH need the time on the pitch. If Dallas cannot afford to play EJ, then they should trade him to a team that will play him. Right now,the biggest opportunity for playing time for forwards exists at DC United. After the offseason acquisitions and SuperDraft, I'm fairly certain that Hudson will have filled that void, and the window for getting EJ to a side that will play him may have closed.

There is no trade rumor. I am just trying to emphasize that EJ can do the "sit the bench and learn" thing for much much more money in Europe. Why should he stay in MLS if he's not playing? With that in mind, I was suggesting getting him some freaking PT. Play him or trade him to somebody who will.

-Tron

17. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    OK then can we all b!tch and moan about how Convey is not seeing time as the central midfielder for DCU and how DCU should trade him?

18. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

19. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Sure. I agree Convey should be in the center of the park, but I think that playing on the flank for 90 minutes almost every game is a tremendous benefit to his development, even if it isn't his best position. You can also make the argument that Santino Quaranta is a right winger and not a forward, but the fact that he's seeing time on the pitch is really the most important thing IMHO.

It isn't uncommon for players to play multiple positions. For example Donovan plays forward and attacking midfielder, and whatever experience he gets helps him at both positions. The same for Clint Mathis. Similarly, Ben Olsen has played right wing mid, right back and forward, all of which aided his development.

I hear your concern Wanderer, and I agree that it would be best for Convey to play centrally, but if he's getting this much playing time as a winger, I'm not going to complain too loudly. Of course, you're welcome too, and I'm certainly not going to be upset if you do. :)

-Tron

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The player you're speaking of is Frank Simek. He's a good, young defender and the reason Arsenal wouldn't release him is because he was still recovering from a knee injury and they didn't want him to reinjure it at the start of the season as Arsenal's youth squad has won their last 2 Youth Championships in England.