U-20s CONCACAF Championship/U20 WCQs

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Dec 16, 2009.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link. I didn't find a roster list on the ussf site when I was looking for the game schedule. Still don't see it when I go back now. sigh.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I don't think there is a story on the ussf site.

such is the emphasis on the u20 team.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there is even less coverage now, with the fancy new website than there use to be. @ssholes.

eta: some days I wonder if we got all the fans of the women's game that post on bigsoccer to overload the ussoccer site w/ requests for info on the usa women (and the various UXX teams) if that would do any good. But I know it won't improve the level of coverage. @ssholes.

5. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    You think all ten or so of us are going to overload the USSOCCER site? ;):D

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CONCACAF qualifing starts in two weeks. Has anyone heard anything beyond that SoccerAmerica piece that Cliveworshipper kindly posted?

7. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    They are in Gainesville, FL this week playing intersquads and cutting down from 24 to 20. The usuals you would expect are playing well (Leroux, Nairn, Quon, Mewis, etc). Vicki DiMartino is playing wing fullback.

1 person likes this.
  8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the 411. Can/will you post more info as you know it? Or suggest alternative places for me (and other fans) to look for info as I've seen nothing on the ussf site about this team/camp/qualifying prep. @ssholes.

9. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
  10. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    can u copy and paste this for those of us who can't access the page..?

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

I am not. The YNT blog doesn't cover the women/girls game much at all--it is a joke, really. Their all over the boys' game (developmental academy showcase, U17s, etc) and young men (U20's, etc). Hell, we can't even get decent pics of the WNT in training at the same level of pics and such of UXX male teams. @ssholes. Sometimes I really think the ussf does not want people to actually follow the team.

12. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, I am totally frustrated as well.....could they have said anything about the December camps, scrimmages with U-23s etc, or was it a private showing for the pro GMs and coaches? There is zip/zero information on the top level WNT teams......

13. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    I don't follow the youth blogs much and didn't realize the gender bias. Sad because the cause is just and the players so deserving. I really enjoy the WNT blog. Whoever looks after it should be made the in-house champion and educating other staff.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My problem with the WNT blog is that so very little actual soccer/training info comes through there. We get silly little off the field stuff, which is fine to a point. But when there is no other information available via the ussf site, including actual on-field soccer information, then I expect the blog to provide it.

And they don't. Instead we get "guess the ponytail" crap. How can I guess the freaking ponytail when ussf doesn't actually give us other pictures from training so that we can freaking recognize players. They are at training at least some of the time. Every now and again we'll get a pic of the team all standing around Pia. Or w/ gift cards. So I know the blog folks are there.

How the fu@k hard is it to take some pictures of the soccer team PLAYING SOCCER and then put up a flickr stream or you, know, post pics on the ussf site like you do for the freaking developmental academy. IT IS THE D@MN NATIONAL TEAM. @ssholes.

And yes. I do feel strongly about this matter. I'll go get my caffeine now and maybe I'll calm down.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qualifying roster announced AND posted on the ussoccer site.

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bianca Henninger (Santa Clara; Los Gatos, Calif.), Taylor Vancil (Louisville; South Elgin, Ill.)
    DEFENDERS (6): Amber Brooks (North Carolina; New Hope, Pa.), Vicki DiMartino (Boston College; Massapequa, N.Y.), Crystal Dunn (Albertson SC; Rockville Centre, N.Y.), Kendall Johnson (Portland; Portland, Ore.), Toni Pressley (Florida State; Melbourne, Fla.), Rachel Quon (Stanford; Lake Forest, Ill.)
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Zakiya Bywaters (UCLA; Las Vegas, Nev.), Elizabeth Eddy (So Cal Blues, Costa Mesa, Calif.), Kristie Mewis (Boston College; Hanson, Mass.), Samantha Mewis (Scorpion SC; Hanson, Mass.), Christine Nairn (Penn State; Bowie, Md.), Teresa Noyola (Stanford; Palo Alto, Calif.), Jenna Richmond (McLean SC; Centreville, Va.), Casey Short (Florida State; Naperville, Ill.);
    FORWARDS (4): Maya Hayes (Aristics Club; West Orange, N.J.), Sydney Leroux (UCLA; Phoenix, Ariz.), Morgan Marlborough (Nebraska; Raymore, Mo.), Tiffany McCarty (Florida State; Laurel, Md.)

DiMartino is listed as a defender.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

As is Kendall Johnson, who has never played there in College or prep that I know of.

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i don't know hayes and marlborough, but leroux and maccarty should be a handful up front.

in the middle, the mewis sisters were money in the u17 wc, passing the ball around the field very well, rather than just kicking and running.

however, in that wc, the japanese were just money, playing like wenger was their coach. it was a thing of beauty. i hope to see that same team now graduated to the u20 world cup put on a show.

18. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    It's strange that the list shows Teresa Noyola on the U.S. squad. This article says she's playing for the Mexicans.

19. bekairos

bekairos New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Noyola is playing for the United States.

As for the article, CONCACAF has made gaffes before (such as saying the last U20 WWC was in China...).

20. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    concacaf.com is streaming all the games live.

Fox Soccer is showing the first two U.S. games.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the info on watching games.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The YNT blog is now making some posts from Guatemala City.

23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    they usually do.

you can go back via youtube and see kelly ohara (#10) work her magic on concacaf teams in summer 2008 where dicicco played her on the right side before he left her off the final world cup team (she was supposedly the one he spoke about as a cancer in the locker room).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFYweYig1Q4&feature=channel"]YouTube- TRI v USA 1st Half U-20[/ame]

i believe her being kicked off that team might have been the fuel for the unbelievable fire she showed in the 2009 season.

you can see noguiera in those concacaf videos as well. she, of course, was also left off the final team.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, the 2008 team won, had the golden & silver ball winners, the golden & bronze shoe winners, the golden glove winner, and won the Fair Play award. Clearly DiCicco didn't f-up the team selection by leaving them off. I don't think Leroux & Morgan would have had the tourny they did w/ the other two on the team. I'm not a huge DiCicco apologist but it does appear that he was right in leaving the two off. If for no other reason than to give them a needed wake up call so they can progress in their careers & reach their potential. Any way, this is old news and we all need to move on as I'm sure the players and coaches have.

Let's focus on this cycle's team. Here's an article from ussoccer on Narin.