U-20 WWC: USA-Nigeria [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by keeper1031, Jul 25, 2010.

1. keeper1031

keeper1031 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Cbus ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody see this shootout? USA's GK made two saves that were called back and the nigerian scored on the third try.

2. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Yes. The US goalkeeper Henninger was a step off her line on every Nigerian penalty kick, and had any of the others been saved by Henninger, probably would have been retaken as well. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Henninger was off her line with a Nigerian missing the goal, but it didn't happen.

The AR kept her flag at her side the entire time.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw it and the referee was within her rights to have the kicks from the mark retaken for the movement off the goal line.

What is of more interest were the antics of the Nigerian player, I believe it was Sunday that went out on the field with a broomstick and had to be restrained by her coaches. Was she going after a US player or the referee crew. She should receive a lifetime ban for that nonsense. What a complete idiot.

4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised no one else saw the video and match. Pretty outrageous behavior.

5. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    There wasn't enough shown to figure out exactly what was going on.

6. mkoenig_1

mkoenig_1 New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Connecticut
    I went looking for a link of this but failed to find anything but brief highlights. Can you (or anyone else) provide a link?

Thx

7. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
  8. keeper1031

keeper1031 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Cbus ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, where did she get a broomstick?
    But i couldnt tell what set her off, it looked kinda scary from the quick video i saw of it.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcX1WeCD8p8"]YouTube- USA - Nigeria Elfmeter Krimi U20 FIFA WM 2010 Women[/ame]

The retakes were correct calls.

IMO, the US keeper should have been carded for persistent infringement.
    She moved forward on all 6 kicks.

BTW, I knew #19 was going to miss before she took her kick. She had the look of desperation on her face as she looked to the sky pre-kick.

I don't know what the broomstick was for, but if she had it in a threatening manner, she should be banned.

10. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Where do you get a broomstick anyways? Did she bring her own?

11. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    It was probably a flag pole.

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    You can clearly see the threaded metal tip.
    It may have been a flag pole, but it certainly looked like the poles that twist into a push broom.

13. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was in her right to have them retaken, but they were pretty close to trifling to me...

[​IMG]
    Save 1

[​IMG]
    Save 2

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    but when you move EVERY SINGLE TIME the ref is going to be looking for it.

Let me ask, can it really be called "trifling" when it allowed her to make the save? Certainly, on the second one, if she doesn't move early, she never makes that save.

15. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched soccer for as long as most of you so I may easily be wrong but I agree with chrisrun - sure looks trifling to me.

The goalkeeper is allowed to move side to side, isn't she? Her moving early by itself shouldn't count against her and the amount that she's coming forward off her line certainly appears to have little to do with making that save.

By the way, I'm not blaming the ref for the USA losing the game. They didn't play well enough to win through extra time - once it reaches PKs it's a crapshoot so I can't complain too much. But it did seem extraordinary to let the penalty taker have 3 cracks at it. The TV commentator thought it was, too.

16. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This shouldn't ever weigh on your conscious when you're assessing whether or not a referee made the right call. It'll just lead to awful terrible pain.

That being said based on those pictures...I definitely wouldn't have called it.