U-20 WNT 2012: The Road to Where? [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Mister Crossbar, Jan 26, 2012.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No, I didnt think he would leave Virginia for anything less than the big job. Im not really sure I believe the U20s and U17 need a full time coach.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I'm reading, the job is bigger than coaching the "current" group and finding potential new additions to the group. As I've suspected from earlier information provided by USSF, their intention appears to be to start pushing coaches "out there" to work to produce the kinds of players the WNT system wants. It sounds like the YNT coaches are going to be spending a good deal of time on the road doing exactly that -- getting out there and telling coaches (college and club?) what they are going to be looking for in selecting players for the YNTs. E.g., "You want your players in competition for YNT and WNT positions? Then you better start training them to be able to do this and to play in this kind of system and alignment. Otherwise, girls from your system aren't going to have much of a chance."

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wouldnt that fall more to Henrichs, Ellis and Kater? I know one thing Henrichs mentioned was they wanted to go with more of a "small country" model but it was tough cause the US is so big. She said in small countries the whole staff meets on a weekly basis. Full time coaches certainly plays towards that.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I feel dumb and a lot better now than I did when I initially saw the news. I saw a tweet and thought they hired a French coach that was in Seattle.:oops: