U-20 WNT 2012: The Road to Where? [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Mister Crossbar, Jan 26, 2012.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    U know I dont know if it came up in conversation here at the time but the Korea DPR team the U-20s beat in the quarters was pretty much the same team the full team beat 1-0 in the Olympics. They had 10 common players and the same coach.

2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    what u20/year are you talking about?
    Nkorea always goes very young, seems china does the same, trying to find the next stars. 10 people from one u20 team is a lot, but where they playing or mostly reserves?

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Part of it was that they had 5 players get banned for failing drug tests at WWC

still....here's the lines from the 2012 Olympics and 2012 U20 WWC

Olympics
    PRK: 18-O Chang Ran; 2-Kim Nam Hui, 3-Kim Myong Gum, 14-Pong Son Hwa, 20-Choe Yong Sim; 7-Ri Ye Gyong, 8-Jon Myong Hwa, 6-Choe Un Ju, 11-Kim Chung Sim (capt.) (12-Kim Un Hyang, 80); 10-Yun Hyon Hi (21-Kim Su Gyong, 31), 16-Kim Song Hui (9-Choe Mi Gyong, 63)
    Subs not used: 1-Jo Yun Mi, 5-Yun Song Mi, 15-Ri Nam Sil, 13-O Hui Sun

U-20WWC
    PRK: 18-O Chang Ran; 2-Kim Nam Hui, 5-Yun Song Mi, 14-Pong Son Hwa, 15-Ri Nam Sil; 8-Jon Myong Hwa, 12-Kim Un Hyang, 13-O Hui Sun (capt.), 19-Yu Jong Im (20-Kim Su Gyong, 56); 10-Yun Hyon Hi, 11-Kim Un Hwa (17-Kwon Song Hwa, 78; 3-Ri Yong Mi, 105)
    Subs not used: 1-Choe Kyong Im, 7-Kim Un Ju, 4-Kim Un Ha, 6-Ryu Un Jong, 9-Pak Kyong Mi, 16-Ri Hyang Hui, 21-Kim Chol Ok

Not only did 7 play for the full team vs USWNT but 5 were starters on both squads.

South American and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  4. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Soccer announced the next U-20 camp selections here

GOALKEEPERS (3): Kaela Little (TSC Hurricane; Tulsa, Okla.), Katelyn Rowland (UCLA; Vacaville, Calif.), Morgan Stearns (McLean Youth Soccer; San Antonio, Texas)
    DEFENDERS (7): Stephanie Amack (Mustang Blast; Pleasanton, Calif.), Brittany Basinger (FC Virginia; Purcellville, Va.), Mandy Freeman (Orlando City; Royal Palm Beach, Fla.), Hanna Gardner (North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.), Zoey Goralski (Team Chicago; Naperville, Ill.), Kathleen Maughton (Sockers FC; Arlington Heights, Ill.), Cari Roccaro (Notre Dame; East Islip, N.Y.)
    MIDFIELDERS (7): Morgan Andrews (FC Stars of Mass.; Milford N.H.), Isabel Farrell (Washington; Bellevue, Wash.), Summer Green (North Carolina; Milford, Mich.), Ashley Meier (Virginia Tech; Blacksburg, Va.), Morgan Stanton (Colorado Rush; Lakewood, Colo.), Andi Sullivan (Bethesda SC; Lorton, Va.), Allison Wetherington (Concorde Fire SC; Acworth, Ga.)
    FORWARDS (7): Janine Beckie (Texas Tech; Lubbock, Texas), Makenzy Doniak (Virginia; Chino Hills, Calif.), Lindsey Horan (Paris Saint-Germain, Golden, Colo.), Darian Jenkins (Sparta; Riverton, Utah), Makenzie Meehan (Boston College; Scituate, R.I.), Amber Munerlyn (So Cal Blues; Corona, Calif.), Toni Payne (Concorde Fire SC; Birmingham, Ala.)

Namdynamo and Katreus repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Rocarro and Amack r back from the last team. Nice to see Hanna Gardner of UNC on there.

6. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    The U-20's were suppose to play the U18 and UCLA teams in the recent camp. Does anyone know if they actually played and if so, what were the scores?
    As usual USSOCCER teases by announcing the games but never satisfies with the results.

7. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I did actually see the u20/UCLA score somewhere. I believe the u20s scored three goals and two own-goals, making the score 3-2, u20s. It may have been a tweet from US soccer.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    No Emily Bruder?
    She signed with UNC.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Interesting that theyve moved Morgan Andrews to defender.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I guess they thought that if it worked with Julie Johnson....

She was credited with an own goal against UCLA the other day.

12. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Does Andrews have experience at defense? In the case of Johnston, she was frequently called on at SCU to strengthen the back line. Swanson even mentioned it at some point. Who is the u-20 coach? (By the way...)

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Katreus repped this.
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Who coached them in the UCLA scrimmage?

15. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a very interesting pick! Hope she does well. Leaving aside the upcoming players, I'm very excited to see that some upcoming coaches are challenging themselves as well, getting experience at coaching in the pros and internationally and not just collegiately.

16. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So Jill and April pick another female coach of a particular sexual orientation. Unless your name is BJ Snow don't expect any male coaches with US Soccer on the women's side in the near future.

17. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I don't think it's just the two of them picking all U coaches... I'm sure Sunil has a say, etc.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I still feel bad for Swanson. He lost his best offensive player right before the tournament, still won a WWC and gets a pink slip.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Would he have quit his job at Virginia to take a full time coaching position with what is I am sure is less job security?

Ask yourself what the longest tenure of a Nat coach has been.

20. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh. If he wants to leave UVA to full-time coach U20s, I'd have no problem wih that either. Not sure he wants to though.

21. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I think he completed the mission, he's got a full-time job.

goaleemama repped this.
  22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Swanson definitely wanted the job Sermanni has now.
    It would have been great for his resume, his career, and is a coaching dream job for him.
    He could have gone back to coaching a high level collegiate team (at the very least), after his stint as national team coach.

23. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Don't know how Frenchie will do as the U-20 coach but wish her all the best. As a Washington Freedom player, she coached my young daughter at a clinic one summer and was outstandingly patient and upbeat. She overcame some pretty stiff health problems a few years ago. Interesting choice and I hope she does well.

goaleemama repped this.
  24. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Does sexual orientation have anything to do with anything? Do we have to accept comments like that?

25. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Well, people in these types of positions tend to hire others that they know and with whom they are comfortable. Men do it all the time. Not saying it's right but it is what it is.. Who hired Swanson? He took over for April after she left UVA, no? How do you know April didn't push for Swanson to get the U20 job originally?

Anyway, the most important thing is that French appears to be qualified for the position--a former top player, with extensive coaching experience. If that weren't the case, then there would be cause for concern.