U-20 WNT 2012: The Road to Where? [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Mister Crossbar, Jan 26, 2012.

1. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
  2. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
  3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Göteborg is moving the players around a lot so the only ones that havent recently played in at least two different poistions are Press and the goalkeepers.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I wondered about that. If she was getting time as attacking center mid it would raise her stock a ton.

5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    That is unlikely to happen in Göteborg, even when they played 4-5-1 Press was always the sole starting forward. She is their main attacking force and Göteborg is a far less dangerous team without her at the top.

necron99 repped this.
  6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Jan, have you watched Press play with Goteborg? What are your thoughts?

7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Not live, and only a few on them on television. But she is a very good forward one of the five best in Damallsvenskan and all of the other of comparabel quality (Mittag, Bachman, Marta, Melis) have all been playing for their WNT for years.
    Swedish commentators have been surprised most of the years that she haven actullay played in th USWNT yet and that Pia only had her as an alternate for the Olympic games.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  8. LeftCoastLondoner

Oct 29, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Thanks, Jan. :) Now I'm seriously excited about seeing what she can do with the national team next year, assuming, you know . . .

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    the Mayans weren't right?:confused:

Gilmoy, Katreus and newsouth jr repped this.
  10. LeftCoastLondoner

Oct 29, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    :laugh: . . . that she gets selected, was what I ellipsed. But, hey, the Mayans. That too, for the end-of-days fans among us.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Here's an ironic note about Christen Press. I couldnt remember how tall she was so I checked the player pool on USSoccer.com. Not only has Pia forgotten about her but she isnt even listed in the player pool. Poor girl gets no respect :)

12. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Equalizer, who r usually pretty good, had the U20 victory as the 11th most significant women's soccer story of the year. Guess it was a really big year for soccer.

14. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I look forward to Pia's failure in Sweden. Without the fit athletes and upfront fire power of the USWNT, her lack in coaching will be exposed with the Swedish NT.

15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    They will lose in the Quarterfinal (on home soil) in the Euro tournament coming up.
    The honeymoon will be over after that. She'll still be the coach of course, but the criticism will begin.

16. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yo they have Lotta Schelin one of the best strikers in the world. They have Nilla Fischer & Josefine Oqvist who are no scrubs. Sweden has some up and coming talent that just need more experience playing international comp.

If they lose to Germany there no shame there. Germany are the reigning European champions. If Sweden loss to any other team some criticism will probably be fair.

17. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Stay classy there big guy - so, if Sweden overachieves (gets to the final four of Euro/WWC) will you admit you've been totally wrong about her?

Let's just say I for one am not holding my breath on that one. I just hope the great job Pia did here won't be exposed by a reversion to the mean under Sermani. I think he can keep it going, but it's going to continue to be a very challenging environment for the WNT.

Not to mention the same "fit athletes and upfront firepower" wasn't as successful under pre-Pia, which sort of makes your point kind of sorta not too logical in the first place - I mean, do you think other coaches have won WWC's/Oly's withOUT talent?

18. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the USWNT won WCs without Pia, so they were a level above before she arrived? How many did they win with Pia? I give them 1 Olympic medal because that Japan game with those penalties and handballs in the box which didn't result in kicks for Japan was an abomination. I have to agree with Sinclair on their road to glory in the last Olympics.

Baby Horse and Wambach (I prefer Fullbach, but some members don't like that) are 2 of the top 3 forwards in the world. I put Marta at 4 now, because of a horrible 2012. It's nice to have those two on the same roster. Then, add Sydney (doesn't have the caps but cause the same type of disruption on the pitch like Morgan) and Cheney ( can give you a goal or 2 against anyone in the world when she is HoT). I would say they roster 4 of the top 20 attackers in the world. It would have been even more nastier for opponents if Pia remembered Press, who could possibly be top 10 in the world right now without one cap:ROFLMAO: , but that's for another thread. MF was horrible, but so fit they could run their way out of problems. Back-line was a mess, but anchored by the #1 defender the world up until late 2012. I think she got tired late in the year after all those caps since Pia basically couldn't sit her.

That being said, I can only come up with Germany being comparable to this team. Japan has a nice hold and chase us game, which seems to offset the USWNT's fitness level but really has nothing up top to match their forwards.

Lotta Schelin? I can't remember her being ranked top 3-5 in anything. Ok, they got one forward, who I'd bench against Horse and Wambach. They probably have a better ball control mid-field which is anchored by the lady who played for WNY but who doesn't against the USWNT? Pia needs BIG TIME fit athletes in her system. Oh, and who do they have to anchor their back-line?

She gets exposed in Sweden.

19. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    newsouth

Japan has a strikers that can play against the US backline. Yuki Ogimi formerly Nagasato matches just fine against our backline. She goe up against good backline all the time in Brauen Bundesliga and Champions League she's one the best in the world.

Lotta Schelin is top notch striker one the best in the world. Do you not follow club football? Of strikers you mentioned Schelin an Marta are the only striker that played club football. Just because Morgan, Sinclair and Wambach didn't play club and only played international ball doesn't diminish Schelin & Marta club seasons which were very excellent.

Schelin won the Treble. Marta role was spent more in Midfeild that doesn't take away from her striking abilities.

Sweden players are more technically sound than our current roster. Look at those players in at their club team or just a year ago. With the correct tactics and motivation Sweden could be right there challenging for trophies and seen as a top women team.

20. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Sweden is excpeted to get to Euro semis so that is not overachiving, even the most critcal can hardly find more than three better Euro teams. Germany is for a fact, France may very well be and in a strecth even England could be considered better than Sweden but what would be the fourth team?

Namdynamo and Katreus repped this.
  21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It will be interesting to get a look at Sweden at Algarve and see if they r tactically different as opposed to just more familiar with Simon & Garfunkle.

22. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Even with that goal tending? :p

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    hahaha...mawahaha.
    i'd say more highway 61 revisited or blood on the tracks than sounds of silence.
    but i'm excited to see that game...