U-20 roster

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by SoulflyTribeFC, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    So no Gaven, maybe he is with the nationals.

2. E. & P.

E. & P. New Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Is my mind playing tricks on me, or was there an outfielder in the mid-1980s named Marvell Wynne, with the Pirates and Padres I believe? If so, is this Marvell Wynne his son?

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't rule on the wisdom of it one way or the other, just that they really aren't candidates for the U20 team.

Personally I wouldn't do it because there really are so many players to look at that each spot in camp is very valuable. But Sigi more or less knows what he's doing. Peculiar that the competent youth coaches for us usually wind up at the U20 level.

5. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Agreed there are others that could play. I guess at times i let my belief that Zimmerman is one of the better prospects for the future cloud my thinking.

i totally understand he needs to keep eligible for the U-17 world championships, but curiosity has the best of me in his case. I personally like the idea of grooming the younger players so we are stronger in the future. In the past, especially the Men's National team has seemed old and had little changing of the guard. This past World Cup, i felt like a few of them didn't deserve to be there. I'd prefer not to name names.

I'd much rather start using some of the young talent and young legs. Seeing what we may have to look forward to in the future. just my thoughts

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm pretty sure they're not the same.

7. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
  8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Freddy Adu
    Danny Szetela
    Quentin Westberg
    Guillermo Gonzalez
    Arturo Alvarez
    Michael Bradley
    Jay Denny

- All Pro's
    But we need Eddie Gaven, Craig Capano, and Jonathan Spector.

"One other professional was also expected to be in camp, but Craig Capano (Chicago Fire) fell ill earlier this week and was unable to make the trip."
    - Soccer 365

Many of the College players have games I understand that, but Gaven would be best player in the midfield definitely, and Spector would be a brick wall in the defense. Either would make a great captain or co-captain.

9. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    And there's also a Robbie Rogers from California, but he's a forward and was born in '87. Any word on the Calif. Rogers? There was some talk that he might have a trial at Bayern Munich.

10. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Hadn't noticed the U-20s assistant coaches before this:

U.S. U-20 MNT Staff
    Position Name Residence
    Head Coach: Sigi Schmid Manhattan Beach, Calif.
    Assistant Coach: Dave Dir Addison, Texas
    Assistant Coach: John Harkes Fairfax, Virginia
    Assistant Coach: Mike Lapper New Albany, Ohio

That's an interesting group that should be able to pass on in playing experience whatever that lack in coaching experience.

11. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Update on a couple of players:

Eddie Gaven has a hernia injury. Craig Capano is in the hospital from some sort of illness. Neither is in camp with the U-20s.

12. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Gaven's injury not expected to keep him out of the December camp prior to the January qualifying tournament. Here's hoping.

From what I understand the opposition at Lockhart are bringing pretty much their first choice teams, so you may expect the U.S. to take some lumps in these matches given the number of players unavailable. I wouldn't read much into the results, but it will be interesting to see how some of the young guys do. I watched Robby Rogers play in the Virginia State Cup final for Reston FC a few weeks ago and this weekend he may line up for the USA against Honduras or Mexico. That must be pretty cool for Robby, as well as for the 17s that are there.

13. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that the same Robby Rogers that was "linked" with Bayern and was a "favorite" of Klinsmann? Or am I thinking of someone else?

14. AdamT

AdamT New Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Washington DC
  15. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    I don't want to be an Adu basher, but i don't see him picking up the slack. I personally believe he's a great player and very young. To me he's missing one key element to his game and that's being fearless. Being fast and crafty is one thing, but against men the mindset is a bit different. Until he's willing to mix it up even being on the small side, he's just not going to be effective enough for my liking.

Again, he has the tools, but the size to me is an issue until he get's stronger. Feel free to bash me if you like. Until he can start in the MLS, which isn't even close to the top leagues in the world. He will just be the young guy with talent in my mind. There are reason he didn't start and played limited minutes for DC United.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    From the article:
    Adu is both in MLS and a foreign-based player? :D

I know what the guy meant, but if I didn't it would be a bit confusing.

Speaking of the foreign-based players, I'm curious to see how Jay Denny does with this group and what Sigi thinks of him and how he uses him. The guy seems to have made a lot of progress at Stoke and I'd like to think he could be an assett for this squad, particularly minus Gaven and Capano.

17. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002

18. Paul Kennedy

Paul Kennedy New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    No. Robby Rogers, who was called up, is an 18-year-old black defender, who is a h.s. senior from Virginia. He's born in '86. The elusive Robbie Rogers (different spelling) is a forward and was born in '87, making him eligible for the '05 and '07 WYC.

19. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

20. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    I think adu is pretty fearless against 20 year olds, now that he has mls experience, hell even before in the u-20 world cup last year

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Are we to assume this one is white?

22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, we know that Robbie Rogers, the white forward from California who is NOT at the tournament is an '87. But my question is, "What's become of him?"

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 goal 1 assist

24. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    I don't deny his ability or what he may become. In the 1st game it took the coach telling him to be more agressive and part of the game and then he became more effective.

I did't mean it as a bash. He's very very young. I'll sort of give you the assist against mexico, mishandled ball by the keeper and a put in. I don't really consider the pk anything special. I was however more impressed with him against Mexico. He seemed more involved. Oh and so you know for the weekend, it was 2 pk's and that thru the keeps hands assist.

He's magical for the most part, but small and not always the toughest on the ball. I believe he'll only get better. Just like I believe when many of those U-17's get older our national team will be very very good.

Talk to me next year when he may star in the MLS, until then I won't be sold on his overall toughness. I am sold on his abilities now and always have been. :)

25. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    he created both penalty kicks