[U-20] Korea vs Ireland [R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Korea_Fighting, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    [Four nation U-20 tournament in Quatar]Korea vs Ireland [R]

Republic of Korea vs Republic of Ireland
    21st January 00:15 Korean time

Broadcast by SBS (korean station)
    You may watch the match here

Oh pilseng Corea~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :) Oh yeah~~~

2. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    thanks for the link!

3. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    I hope we beat those stuck Irish, potato eatin', Guinness stout chuggin' mick pigs.

Juss kiddin'

It should be a good match.

4. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Half Time

U-20

S.Korea 1-1 Ireland

S.Korea is missing some starters. I don't know about the Irish squad. In the earlier game, UAE tied France 1-1. I do not know if the squads of both sides are all first-team.

5. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Pretty disappointing display in the first half. Too many turnovers, no combination play in the middle, lack of movement at center, not moving the ball around very well, no tight marking...

Well, it looks like the fans might have lots of things to say after this match. I am just hoping for the better display in the second half.

6. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Traditional Korean style of non-thinking kick-and-rush. How I missed you.

7. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Oops... I think this four nation tournament is held in UAE, not Quatar as I wrote in the heading of this thread.

8. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Game over.

U20

S.Korea-Ireland

2-1 (FT)

Jokook Jung
    Dong-hyun Kim

can someone post the name of the Irish player who scored the first goal of the game?

9. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    overall I'm not happy at all.

Yea we were missing some key players especially in the midfield and yea maybe that was the reason we lacked the midfield play, but the kick-and-rush was too much.

When Ireland was leading 1-0, I thought to myself 'it's good if we rather lose this coz all the hype over this U20 team will be gone.'

Somehow the players managed to score but neither of them were the coach's work. Both were the players' individual effort and for that I say this coach so far has dissapointed me badly.

We should wait more, but I'm not too bright about this coach. In the coaching level, we need European coaches in all our age levels.

10. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It was not a full strength Irish squad. Several of our top young players are regulars for their clubs in England, and were not released for this tournament.
    (eg. Sean Thornton played for Sunderland v Everton).
    The Irish goal was scored by #9, I think. That might be Stephen Elliot of Manchester City, but I'm not certain.

11. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ireland goal was in fact scored by Liam Kearney of Nottingham Forest.

12. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Thanks. Korea was not their full squad either.

13. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    The Irish players showed great movement and displayed tactical maturity. They all had great technique expected of very good Irish team.

Korea showed total lack of midfield possession in the first half. After the Irish goal the equaliser came in the route of free kick. In the second half, Korea was able to dominate the flow of the game, but still not to the extent that I would hope for the team of this much individual calibre and potential. The winning goal in second half was good team work by forwards.

Several basic observations; (1) Wingers like Lee Jong-Min were very effective in penetrating Irish defence in the second half; (2) The distance between three-back defence line and the rest are too great, it is almost like they are of separate units rather than one working team; (3) I coudn't help notice the height difference of two teams, how come Irish players were relatively shorter??.

I think we need to strive for short passing and attacking route via midfield rather than that pathetic relay of kick-and-rush. I give credit to very good Irish team, which lacked several key players. Korea was also missing several key players like Kwon Jib in the midfield. Our U-20 team shows promise but this match didn't convince me of guaranteed success in World U-20 Championship.

14. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    One good news I'm hoping for is that scouts from European clubs may well have noticed the performances of players like Jung Jo-Guk, Kim Dong-Hyun and Choi Sung-Kuk in this match.

15. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Republic of Ireland: Henderson (Aston Villa); Brennan (Newcastle United), Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Paisley (Manchester City), Capper (Sunderland); Kearney (Nottingham Forest), Ward (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Potter (Liverpool), Foley (Liverpool); Elliott (Manchester City), Zayed (Bray Wanderers).

Subs: Deane (Charlton Atheltic) for Kearney (74 mins), Keegan (Leeds United) for Foley (74 mins), Gilroy (Middlesbrough) for Ward (89 mins), Doyle (St Patrick's Athletic) for Zayed (89 mins)

16. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Korea: Kim Young-Kwang (Chunnam); Jo Sun-Yoon (Sung-Shil Uni), Im Yoo-Hwan (Hanyang Uni), Kim Chi-Gon (Anyang), Park Ju-Sung (Suwon); Kim Dong-Hwan (Ulsan Uni), Lee Jong-Min (Suwon), Kim Young-Chul (Chunnam), Choi Sung-Kuk (Koryo Uni); Jung Jo-Gook (Anyang), Kim Dong-Hyun (Hanyang Uni)

Subs: Hahn Jae-Woong (Busan) for Jung Jo-Guk; Baek Ji-Hoon (Chunnam) for Choi Sung-Kuk; Kim Hyung-Bum (Gon-guk Uni) for Kim Young-Chul; Lee Gil-Hoon (Koryo Uni) for Kim Dong-Hwan; Kim Chi-Woo (Joog-ang Uni) for Park Ju-Sung

*Note for non-korean fans: In Korea surname is read first then given name. For example, Kim Young-Kwang means his surname is Kim and his given name is Young-Kwang.

17. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
  18. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Trivial question for readers:

Q: How many players have the surname of 'Kim' in Korean U20 squad?

19. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    A: Just a tad too many than the Lee's

this shows why korean coaches sux

kick and run and hope the attacker can get his head on the ball tactic

well maybe Park Sung Hwa decided to do that cuz it seemed the koreans were a tad taller...
    however if the game was not going the way he wanted in the first half he should have changed his tactics but Park (i thought he spent some time in england to learn some coaching skills.. guess not) nonetheless kept with the kick and run

and the defence.. the last line of defence and the midfielders were too far apart to be doing any serious pressing in midfield... reminds me of the Korean-US game in the WC.. too many open spots in the middle

and whats with all the kids falling down with cramps??
    the SBS guy was blaming the grass.. actually he was blaming the grass for everything.. dumb Aholes.. thats why i hate SBS...

anyhoo... the ireland players seemed fine.. why is it that the korean players always end up getting a cramp??
    too much kimchi and not enought meat served for dinner??
    what the hell is the problem??

koreans maybe good soccer players.. but they suck as coaches

20. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
  21. Sukhwa

Sukhwa Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Korea
    Does anyone know how many goals Kim Dong Hyun and Jong Jogook scored at Under 19/20 level? Thanks.

22. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Highlight clip

mms://cmswm06.bcst.yahoo.co.kr/PubShare03/ykorea/yksbs/13/3654662.asf?StreamID=3654662&pl_b=003FFAD04AD31C6008000001A63E2DB2D8&ru=playlistRUPERIODyahooRUPERIODcom

23. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.