U-19/U-20 International Friendly matches USA vs Japan

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by blissett, May 23, 2017.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1 blissett, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Two friendly matches have just been played between USA and Japan at U-19/U-20 level: Japan U-20 beat USA U-19 by 1-0 on 19th of May and USA U-20 by 2-1 on 22th May.
    The tour ends on 26th of May but I am not sure if other matches are scheduled.

Did anyone have the chance to watch any of the matches or have any additional info about them? :cautious:

Edit: I see from USWNT website that it's the annual invitational tournament, and that there is one more match scheduled on 24th of May.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they being streamed? I don't know where to watch them. Usually the US YNT twitter account provides some info, but all it has is a link to the article on the USSF website as the twitter account is sort of taken over by U20 WC coverage at the moment (as it should be...the boys' opening match was an exciting one!).

The U20 and U19 teams actually overlap camps, and both are playing the Japan U20 team. The next game is against the U20 team (so I guess the U19 team only played Japan once.) I find this a bit confusing, but below are the two camp rosters:

U.S. U-20 WNT Roster:
    GOALKEEPERS (4): Amanda Dennis (Penn State; Palmetto, Fla.), Brooke Heinsohn (Duke; Norfolk, Mass.), Laurel Ivory (West Florida Flames; Surfside, Fla.), Amanda McGlynn (Virginia Tech; Jacksonville, Fla.)
    DEFENDERS (8): Sydney Dawson (Internationals SC; Akron, Ohio), Julie Doyle (San Diego Surf; Laguna Niguel, Calif.), Emily Fox (UNC; Ashburn, Va.), Samantha Hiatt (Stanford; Newcastle, Wash.), Tara McKeown (San Diego Surf; Newbury Park, Calif.), Isabel Rodriguez (Michigan Hawks; Canton, Mich.), Karina Rodriguez (UCLA; Torrance, Calif.), Sophia Serafin (West Coast FC; Glendora, Calif.)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Tierna Davidson (Stanford; Menlo Park, Calif.), Savannah DeMelo (USC; Bellflower, Calif.), Jaelin Howell (Real Colorado; Windsor, Colo.), Taylor Kornieck (Colorado; Henderson, Nev.), Brianna Pinto (CASL; Durham, N.C.), Viviana Villacorta (Beach FC; Lawndale, Calif.)
    FORWARDS (8): Amirah Ali (PDA; Voorhees, N.J.), Belle Briede (Tophat SC; Alpharetta, Ga.), Mireya Grey (Crossfire SC; Seattle, Wash.), Abigail Kim (California; Vashon, Wash.), Civana Kuhlmann (Colorado Rush; Littleton, Colo.), Adrienne Richardson (Minnesota Thunder Academy; Oakdale, Minn.), Sophia Smith (Real Colorado; Windsor, Colo.), Kelsey Turnbow (Santa Clara; Scottsdale, Ariz.)

U.S. U-19 WNT Roster:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Hillary Beall (So Cal Blues; Laguna Beach, Calif.), Brooke Bollinger (Orlando City; Melbourne, Fla.), Zoe Clevely (Irvine Strikers; Huntington Beach, Calif.)
    DEFENDERS (8): Kerry Abello (Eclipse Select; Batavia, Ill.), Malia Berkely (Florida State; Liberty Township, Ohio), Naomi Girma (Central Valley Crossfire; San Jose, Calif.), Samantha Hiatt (Stanford; Newcastle, Wash.), Tavia Leachman (Utah; Long Beach, Calif.), Julie Mackin (Clemson; Castle Rock, Colo.), Kaiya McCullough (UCLA; Mission Viejo, Calif.), Kiara Pickett (Eagles; Santa Barbara, Calif.)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Samantha Coffey (Match Fit Academy; Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.), Kristina Fisher (Miami; Jupiter, Fla.), Zoe Morse (Virginia; East Lansing, Mich.), Natalie Winters (Iowa; Plymouth, Mich.), Taryn Torres (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Sydney Zandi (Penn Fusion; West Chester, Penn.)
    FORWARDS (7): Theresa Boade (Real Colorado; Castle Rock, Colo.), Jordan Brewster (Internationals SC; North Canton, Ohio), Emina Ekic (Javanon FC; Fairdale, Ky.), Wrenne French (Tennessee SC; Franklin, Tenn.), Cecilia Gee (Stanford; Orinda, Calif.), Tziarra King (N.C. State; Sicklerville, N.J.), Cameron Murtha (Bethesda SC; Kensington, Md.)

Game report from U19 game v Japan (on May 19): http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...pan-1-0-at-us-soccer-national-training-center

I don't see a report for the U20 May 22 game yet. The website hasn't even been updated with the result yet.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, the May 24 game is at 5 pm PT in Carson, CA if any one is local and wants to attend.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was wondering myself about that, because I would have liked to watch the games, but apparently they weren't aired anywhere, not even by Japanese TV (nor did I find any highlights).

If the May 24 game would be up anywhere, I would gladly watch it!

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    As would I. Are these the Nike invitationals? Ussoccer usually shows those.

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not Nike invitationals. They seem to just be friendlies for the teams during camp.

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    On Nadeshiko Japan's thread we referred to these friendlies as the usual invitational tournament in USA for youth teams (not sure if it's sponsored by Nike or not) that this year happened to not have other teams excet USA and Japan. But we could be wrong about that.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been a NTC invitational in the past for the U20 USWNT. Last year it was in the autumn at the NTC leading up to the U20 WWC (an invitational that Japan did not play in), and then prior to that, there was one in the summer of 2015, I believe. I can't remember if it was held prior to 2015 though. However, USSF has no reference on the website or twitter account or elsewhere to these matches as an invitational tournament. Perhaps in the planning phase, it may have been meant to be the invitational tournament, and they couldn't get other participants. Who knows? But regardless, with just two teams (I guess three if you count the US U19 team, but they are only playing Japan once), its simply friendlies.

blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Anyway, no hope of watching the last match, I suppose? :unsure:

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently only if you're in California. ;)

blissett repped this.
  11. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Wish someone could explain to me why the USSF is so sure it got it right in 2016 u17/20 WC that they have to recycle these kids into the next cycle. My opinion was several of these kids didn't display the technique and soccer IQ necessary to respond to the limited time and space they were presented in Jordan/New Guinea. Yet the coaches believe they should be elevated one or two age groups (or even to the full national team- ridiculous) into this next cycle.

Give some new kids a real look! Support your rhetoric of looking for the most technical kids in the US by putting them on the field. What you did in 2016 didn't work so we are going to just do it again for 2018. Didn't Einstein say essentially: the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. ummm...

We are celebrating a kid for launching a long ball? (see the write ups on the USSF site) Not that I am saying that is never a decent option, but prove to me that the option of playing through the midfield was also considered viable at some point in that game-Probably wasn't. The YNT midfields have been terrible the last two years.

Namdynamo and ziggy1010 repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Meanwhile, the last friendly match of the batch, the 24th of May's one, ended 2-2.

13. HeloBubba

HeloBubba New Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Olelaliga, was the midfield bad or just not utilized at the 17/20s last year. Its hard to say particularly with the 20s. I felt flank play was the focus and when times got hard our backlines struggled to find the Midfield and then resorted to playing it long in hopes our forwards would make something happen.

The U17s (new cycle) just beat Japan 2-0 this morning. They are trying to play through the midfield and look at more technical players.