U-17 or O-17 That's the Question

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by metz, Feb 19, 2012.

1. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Where we are after 17 significants changes:
    Albright, Angel, Boyens, Borman, Chinn, Chirdgaze, Buona, Da Luz, Hall, Kandji, Mendes, Petke, Ream, Sassano, Stammler, Tchanmi and Sinisa.....

You really think that with the bunch of octogenarian players that we have and with the multi millionaire pay roll that we spend, are we better than yesterday...

I Don't think so

2. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Albright - old
    Angel - old
    Boyens - sucked
    Borman - not great and was traded for DeRo
    Chinn - unimpressive
    Chirdgaze - was hurt. now he is trialing again and looks like he'll be re-signed
    Buona - not goo denough
    Da Luz - bad trade. should have kept him
    Hall - who was he traded for? McCarty?
    Kandji - never lived up to his potential with us
    Mendes - We have better (younger) guys now
    Petke - He RETIRED!!!!!
    Ream - do you really blame him for making the jump to England? he's making like 5x as mich $ now
    Sassano -never liked him. he was a pretty unimpressive player
    Stammler - RETIRED. what would you have us do? force him to come back and play?
    Tchani - He was pretty good, but it seemed to me like a good move when he was traded for DeRo.
    Sinisa - he was never really more than a bit player. who was he traded for? i don't remember.

At most there are like 4 guys on that list that could improve or even make it onto today's roster.

3. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Pele. Garrincha are old, but in they time they were ginus....

But the question still, are we better now than yesterday./...

4. pooh

pooh Member

Mar 6, 2003

Yes

5. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Yes with out a argument is something like to hide the true....

7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You never made an argument that we were any worse than we were compared to two seasons ago, all you did was continue to whine that we got rid of players who for the most part have failed to do anything at another club, without giving any credit to the guys who have come in. You whine about Connor friggin Chinn moving but don't give any credit to Backe for bringing in Rodgers?

8. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    What argument do you want, Henry, Rafa, Linpere, Richards, Keel, McCarty, Conde, Miller, Solli, Teemu, Ballouchy, Cooper, Rodgers, all or starters are 30 years old or close, isn't that a enough argument????....

9. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    No, it isn't argument enough because the question isn't "is our team too old?". The question you posed was "are we better off than we were a few years ago?". Those players that you've mentioned are more talented than the young players that we've let go, and we've got a stronger looking bench to start the season with compared to last year so hopefully the inevitable injuries won't impact our season as much.

Now if you want to argue that keeping a core group of players together is difficult with such a high average age, then that is entirely reasonable, but that's never the argument you make. You have this odd mindset that right now, at this very moment, a player that is older than 28 is somehow incapable of being a better player than someone younger than 24.

You are honestly going to tell me that a squad made up of the players you listed in your first post would be better than the current squad we have? The funny part is that almost all the players you listed were given decent playing time under Backe, so you can't even make the argument that he doesn't give players a chance.

10. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    What the ******** you think I have been fighting for the youngest players for, because if we don't keep them that will not help us to keep any stability if we don't develop our players we are of this business, because this old gout will be out of business after three months, they never will last the whole season....

11. senorhenriquez

Aug 5, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Da Luz is out of contract with D.C. so if Backe really wanted him, he could pick him up.

12. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I was under the impression Da Luz wouldn't exactly be excited to come back here, but I thought he did a good job filling in for Lindpere and our only depth at outside midfield right now is Ballouchy and I guess Dax...

13. senorhenriquez

Aug 5, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I think of Da Luz's time with NY, the first memory that comes to mind is when he scored that fantastic goal vs Portland at JELD-WEN. I for one wouldn't mind his return but like you said, who knows if he'd be willing to rejoin.

14. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He failed to latch on with RSL and we would need to trade something for his rights which lessens the chances of him coming here by a lot.

15. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Is there some trophy for having the youngest team in the league that i am unaware of?

16. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    While i was angry when he was traded... in that same game he was beaten like a drum defensively repeatedly and IIRC pretty much responsible for creating a number of goal scoring opportunities for Portland.