Tyler Adams

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Nov 9, 2017.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TimB4Last repped this.
  2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He was bad for U17's which was an unremarkable group apart form Pulisic.

For u20's he was useless as a mid and was pushed up the pitch in hope of finding some scarce goals leaving the midfield defending to some guy at Atlanta's academy, who was nefver heard from again, and Eryk "Williams who is at Maryland and had a much better cup than Adams. This in spite of the fact that EPB had to go into cb because Justen Glad was recovering from injury and a strong midfielde presence was necessary. Not that it helped much because Adams could do nothing for the offense which relied on Delatorre and Lennon and Sargent, who had been called up from u17's because our strike force was so bad.

Yet Adams is on the USMNT. Bidness. If Adams is such a qualified midfielder, I wonder why he wasn't tasked with playing midfield/rwb against Penaranda of Venezuela for U20's and we used Eryk Williams instead? Penaranda starts for Malaga in La Liga.

This isn't to say Adams is a bad player. He can actually handle a wb role but the hype train is so unstoppable in MLSUSSF that we keep having to see him time and again trying to do stuff he cant do. They are determined to stuff him down our throats come hell or high water and want us to go along with their fantasies even as the water is up to our nostrils

Greg Heaney repped this.
  3. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Looks like another passable product groomed by USSF. Looks like he's about as tall as Pulisic? What's with the lack of height in soccer athletes today?

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Since his matriculation into grownup soccer, Adams has been solid to brilliant at defensive midfield, central midfield, wingback, and rightback.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, they thought Adams would replace Dax but were losing one game after another and the decision to put Adams in dmid cost them dearly this year. When they switched Felipe into the position and put Adams at rb/rwb, a position he could handle, they started winning and were probably as good as any team at the end of the season.

ussoccer97531 and Gamecock14 repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sean Davis was the putative replacement for McCarty. There was also the failed experiment with the 4222. The Royers injury also hit the team hard.

When not using the 4222, the team's regular and postseason records with Adams starting in central midfield was 5 wins and 2 losses. This includes the 1-0 victory over TFC

Sources: mlssoccer/matchcenter lineups and football-lineups.

Patrick167, Dirt McGirt, Zinkoff and 3 others repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He doesn't play CM well right now. He is prone to be bossed centrally, I thought more times than not he was bossed with the U-20's playing centrally. Doesn't have the passing game or presence right now as a midfielder.

As a wing-back, I think he can do a very good job. He's athletic, crafty and works really hard on both ends of the field. He's also versatile, can play on either side, and while I don't think he's a good CM, he has played there a lot.

But I also do agree with Excellency that he has been rather bad in the youth tournaments I've seen him play, all four major youth tournaments, U-17 WCQ, U-17 WC, U-20 WCQ, U-20 WC. He was one of the youngest players for all four tournaments, and maybe thats why, but its not impossible for younger players to do well at higher levels. I think he has shown well as a wing-back, and he brings a skill-set and versatility our player pool doesn't have much of. He will probably be a very useful player for our NT, I'm not sure though that he's some rising star, like US Soccer wants us to think, as Excellency mentioned. Him and Sargent are their poster boys, which doesn't make much sense to me, but a lot of the things they do don't make much sense to me.

8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I like this kid. He got some speed, skills, and bite to this game.

However, this kid really need to get the hell out of MLS and over to the Bundi or Erevidisie to develop his game further before it's too late.

Right now, he's the biggest hype by MLS/SUM/USSF.

Not too along ago, Agudelo was the next savior of US soccer. He was hyped out of this world.

Hopefully this kid get some brains and make the necessary moves to grow his potentials significantly.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #9 IndividualEleven, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    NY had a good record with Adams in central midfield.

Again, what do youth tourneys have to do with grown-up soccer? Adams is a senior professional now.

And how is he a big hype? At the beginning of the season, more of the youth hype on these boards was dedicated to Andrew Carleton. The media went all in for Kelyn Acosta.

Adams has played 1994 minutes this season. Agudelo has yet to hit that number in any of his nine MLS seasons. The former's work ethos has been praised by his teammates and coach. Agudelo, by his own admission, has only recently embraced a thoroughgoing pro's lifestyle.

10. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    This kid is a much closer amalgam to Jermaine Jones than McKennie, with the lung busting runs, the athleticism, and the zero ********s given attitude.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They put Sean Davis on the bench for Adams and had to bring Sean Davis back when Adams didn't work out as the dedicated dmid. Davis has the first few starts because it was "his turn" and he didn't do so well as Dax's replacement. In the end it was Felipe who proved the man for that spot and Davis became an 8/6 type with "Adams moved to rb/rwb where he was very good.

Not sure why there has to be so much sugar coating, to be euphemistic about it.

I can see the same thing happening to Adams as they did to K.Acosta altho I think Adams will survive because he has some talent .

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yet again, NY had a good record with Adams at dm and cm when the team weren't using that experimental 4222. And:

The 30-year-old McCarty was considered expendable by the Red Bulls because of the emergence of 24-year-old Sean Davis late last year after the Duke product was inserted into the starting XI when McCarty was injured.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...rty-trade-set-tone-fire-red-bulls-aspirations

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    NY had a record of 5w and 2l with Adams at d-mid and cm when not using that 4222.

Physically Adams and Acosta are nothing alike. C'mon, you can do better.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it would help if you'd quote posters individually. It seems to me like you are responding to two different posters (myself and smokarz), but your comments can very well be mixed up. Reading this the first time, I thought the whole thing was in response to me.

As for what I believe is addressed towards me, I'm not sure NY's record with Adams as a CM matters, given I don't think he profiles well centrally. And while I agree that once a player is playing consistently in MLS, their youth resume matters little, I was using that as a further data point for his struggles centrally. I've remarked multiple times that he struggled centrally in MLS. I've yet to think he's struggled out wide in MLS, I think he brings a very interesting skill-set as a wing-back on either side, also capable of playing full-back, and potentially wide midfield, in a pinch.

As for his hype, he's been playing up in higher age groups for years. He played up with the U-17's, he was the only '99 on the U-17 WCQ roster, and was one of two 99's on the WC roster (other was 3rd keeper Lopez). Only two 99's who Williams gave any significant runout that cycle were Adams and Lara (who Williams feuded with and ended up pushing out of the program to the Mexican set-up). Gonzalez, Pomykal, Taitague, Scott, all these 99's people talk about now got minimal or no caps.

At the U-20 level, he was a starter from day 1. Gonzalez was on the same U-20 WCQ team, Adams was a starter, Gonzalez was the last man or two on the bench. I thought Adams had a poor qualifying tournament playing most of the tournament, while I thought Gonzalez showed okay in very limited minutes. There was no discussion about whether Adams would make the WC team, there was similarly no discussion about whether Gonzalez would make the WC team, the difference is that they weren't discussions for different reasons. Adams was a lock to make it because of what US Soccer thought of him, Gonzalez was a lock not to make it because of what US Soccer thought of him. At the U-20 WC, he was a starter, despite what I considered poor play during that tournament.

Now with the NT, he's been called up. In all three situations, I think he probably did deserve a call up, but they've been very cautious with promoting some players to different levels, yet they keep promoting Adams to higher levels, despite poor play for lower level YNT's. He's their poster boy, they continuously hype him up. I think he's a good player, but I don't really understand the argument that he's not being used as their poster boy. I don't understand your comparison to Carleton and K. Acosta, at all. Fans might hype Carleton up more, but that has nothing to do with what I was talking about (US Soccer). K. Acosta wasn't really hyped up, and he's four years older than Adams. He got talked about in the media, it was because he was actually performing as one of MLS's best players. K. Acosta got relatively little hype as a youth player despite having a similar or better trajectory to Adams. He needed to play great in MLS to get talked about, Adams has yet to play as well.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his ceiling would be highest if he immediately started developing as a LB. He's young, spend from now until March whipping in crosses off his left. I like his right, would have good potential cutting inside and blasting on goal with it.

His up and down style and work rate and the bit of skill he has would translate pretty well into the least-filled with quality position in this game. As a mid I don't see him projecting as high. As a RB/RWB maybe. As a LB I could see him as a legit top league player within 2-3 years.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The team's non-4222 record with him at CM matters less than your opinion? OK.

But NYRB's record matters less as a data point?

In what way? In addition to the team's record, his WS when played centrally was over 6.9, number which includes the games played in 4222.

superdave repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Are we giving opinions here or not? Throwing a team's record at me doesn't validate or invalidate the point, its just another consideration.

WhoScored is very flawed. From what I have gathered, they tend to over-emphasize the contributions of guys who pile up large interceptions, tackles, clearances, etc numbers, along with guys who contribute big flash plays, and under-emphasize quietly good and reliable play. Adams is a player who packs a lot of action into his minutes.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #18 IndividualEleven, Nov 9, 2017
    A team's record and a player's WS matter less than your opinion which is backed by your reminiscences of his youth career.

Deadtigers and superdave repped this.
  19. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    His relentless playing style and motor are exactly what the USMNT need more of, no matter the position. Its something that Adams, Mckennie and Gonzalez all have, and Im looking forward to seeing how they work and compete with each other.

Namdynamo and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know why you are making this about what matters more. What does "matters" have to do anything with it? Its a forum, we give opinions, I didn't claim my opinion matters, at all. You are muddying the waters by claiming "what matters more" has anything to do with this discussion, thats irrelevant, it just distracts from the actual discussion about the specific considerations.

DHC1 repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #21 IndividualEleven, Nov 9, 2017
    I'm dealing with attempts to substantiate opinions.

Youth career is not particularly relevant when discussing a senior professional's performance at senior level. Posters brought up his youth record as evidence of his lack of class, as though that period were more relevant than his senior professional career.

When not using that 4222, NY had a good record when Adams played cm. Posters claimed NY were losing with Adams in CM.

Sean Davis was the NY's projected replacement for Dax McCarty. Posters claimed Adams was the projected replacement, which was obviously false.

If someone wants to post that Adams doesn't have a 'high ceiling' at CM or whatever then that's cool. Again, I'm only dealing with attempts to support opinions.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  22. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Exactly. His run all day style is a good midfield complement for our more technical CMs like Gonzalez, Mckennie, Parks and Hyndman. We're not going to joga bonito our way through decent teams anytime soon, so a guy that can cover immense amounts of ground like Adams is going to be of use.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the games I've seen, which is admittedly only a handful, I think I agree. I see him with a higher ceiling as an outside back, especially for the USMNT. Better work rate, decent enough defender and passer.

24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Not a bad idea.

I do like his speed and crosses. Having a Yedlin's look a like on the left side isn't a bad idea for the US.

Though he seems to be sending in decent crosses from that right side, perhaps he's more comfortable on that side.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone here knows we're desperate for a legit LB and Adams has the motor, speed, and a maturity beyond his years. I'd be all for a long look at him back there.

ussoccer97531 repped this.