Tyler Adams - the best non-Christian Pulisic prospect in the USMNT pipeline

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scoachd1, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't get me wrong, all that matters, but these were the same things people said were reasons why Zardes was going to be a big help to our NT, and he never has been.

These things are great, but the talent and game to game performances is a prerequisite. So far, Adams has not shown the best performances IMO, and I'm not sure he's as talented as other big names in his age group. I feel like he's getting propped up partially due to his intangibles. Lets wait until the performances and talent match the intangibles before we compare him to Pulisic.

2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    A 6 needs different skills than an 8 who needs different skills than a 10. The higher the level the higher the quality of those specific skills are needed to succeed.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There are different types of players for different positions.

Busquets has different skills than Kante, for example.

I don't think Adams is bad, I am reiterating that for the millionth time, but I see a relatively low ceiling and poor performance. If you are going to be elite with his type of game, you better be Kante because its a relatively low impact game, unless you are just an absolute monster at breaking up the game in midfield.

Among U-20's, I personally prefer Chris Durkin right now as the eventual US #6, and I also think EPB, McKennie, Booth, Sands are potential #6 candidates, although they might be best at another position.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Between youth NTs and RB Adams has been exposed more than any prospect in that pipeline.
    So far there is no verifiable interest in him, but only self generated RB hype, which is understandable as their decision to let Dax go was obviously idiotic and they are using any excuse to cover their asses.
    Five years ago they had a budding superstar in Connor Lade. Good thing he is still with them.

5. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Victor Wanyama is the type of player you're looking at. Monster breaking up the play. Not a great passer who's going to ignite the offense but whose physical skills dominate the pitch. If Adams is anything like that he's a huge win for the US development philes.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think he's as good physically. Wanyama is like five inches taller, incredible athlete. I think Adams is a good athlete and is fast, but we are talking about a 5'9 player who isn't a physical beast (like say EPB, McKennie, Wright are).

7. Techsan111

Techsan111 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wouldn't mind sending him to Salzburg and seeing if they can turn him into a more defensive version of Keita

8. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    The 8 skill set is closer to 6 than it is to 10, though. A quality 8 already has most of the skill set required for the 6, the big issue when moving the players between the spots tends to be positional discipline.

nobody repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How anybody could put Adams above Durkin is beyond me. I cant wait to see Durkin play in India in a couple of months.

The op quotes Matt Doyle as saying about Adams:
    "I've spoken with some very smart folks who think he is the best non-Christian Pulisic prospect in the USMNT pipeline. I need to see more of Weston McKennie and Andrew Carleton before I buy a ticket for that particular hype train, but I'm in the process of getting my wallet out just in case. The 18-year-old was outstanding in his first 90-minute MLS performance."

but last time I heard him talk about RedBulls he was kind of equating Adams with Sean Davis level.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Doyle has mostly really good opinions, but then some absolutely horrible ones.

I like Durkin's game, also. Think he could help DC United right now.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    omg, d.c........what a buzz killer. Let's hope Euro scouts pick him in India.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And if you add EPB in the mix.........Adams is falling fast.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Gacm32 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  14. gtstock

gtstock Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Young players go through growing pains, it's only normal. He still has a ton of potential and still has a lot of room for growth both physically as well as from a skill perspective. Also, being a high quality 6 is not an easy position to learn and just step into from day 1. There is a reason why someone like Dax McCarty is playing his best soccer at age 30 at the position despite not being a super athlete.

I think he'll be a very good player, he has the skillset, but the consistency is going to take time to get up to speed.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    What a surprise.

Gacm32 repped this.
  16. Techsan111

Techsan111 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Stock falls due to one bad game? Seems pretty harsh to me

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he might've just phrased it wrong.

If you are sending a scout to go watch a player who you have interest in (but not necessarily ready to chuck money at) and they put in a bad performance, it might lessen your interest to purchase them then, especially if they only just turned 18, and you can come back in another 6 months and see if there's progress.

I think this is very much a pattern with Adams. I think his stock has fallen because of his performances with the U-20's and NYRB this year, not because of one game, and I don't interpret that tweet exactly as it reads.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Adams had a WS of 5.7 in that match.19 y/o Yangel Herrera had an 8.2.

Gacm32 repped this.
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol this is great.

20. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Which is why Yangel us signed with another light blue colored club with a similar name...he is a very good prospect.

21. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Is there really much debate right now that the answers are EPB and Weston McKinnie? There are a ton of good young players in the pipeline but Tyler Adams' name shouldn't be among them at this stage. That's fine, he's got time to grow, mature, and improve but personally I'd take Akale, CCV, Miazga, Wright, and a host of others first.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't think Adams is in my top ten.

Besides Pulisic, EPB's #1 right now, IMO. I think he's more than earned than spot. EPB is NT ready, and he's been excellent everywhere he's played the last few years.

Carleton 2, Wright 3, McKennie 4, Carter-Vickers 5. I won't quibble about 2-5, think those four could go in any order, and it would be acceptable.

23. Techsan111

Techsan111 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #223 Techsan111, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    I thought he had a strong u20 tourney before he gassed out vs Venezuela. I'm certainly no scout though.

Plus I really hope scouting isn't so strict that one bad game can derail your chances. If a team has real interest, watch practices and take in 2-3 games. That's just my opinion though.

24. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to bump this very old thread because:

1) Adams is my favorite USMNT player
    2) News regarding his rehab/return has been cryptic and hard to come by

Regarding #2... the most recent article I have seen was posted in mid-August and said he was two to three weeks out w/ regards to returning to full training. Furthermore, a new video was just posted that walks you thru a day-in-the-life:

The footage appears to have been shot during the most recent international break. You see him get treatment but there is no footage of actual football practice. So I am still clamoring for updated news on his return. He mentions being frustrated with not being able to play and I am certainly frustrated with not being able to watch him on a weekly basis. If you find any info please post it here.

Marko72 and gogorath repped this.
  25. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    The names from two years ago show how much can change in that timeframe. Lol, Pomykal could be a dud by 2022. Someone will rise that no one expected great things from.