Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Fabian really never made it out of the group stages? I could have sworn he had.

2. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Could it have been Onyewu with Malaga? Frankly, I don’t even remember his time there. But, this popped up when I was thinking of him: they were top of group when he was there though perhaps they never played him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20570415

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Not Hejduk. He played 5 Champions League matches in the 1999-00 season, and another 1 the following season, but all in the group stage.

Not Friedel, he only played in the UEFA Cup/Europa League.

Not Fabian Johnson. He played 5 games in the 2015-16 season, and 5 more the following season, but all in the group stage.

Not Onyewu. He played 3 group stage matches for Malaga in late 2012, plus one group stage match a few years earlier for Milan, but none in the knockouts.

I've racked my brain long enough at this point that I'm going to say it's probably Thomas Dooley's 1991-92 European Cup appearances, under a very relaxed definition of "Champions League knockout stage" matches.

(Like I said, it could also be Rossi, but that would be a mistake, since there's no criteria I can think of that would include him and wouldn't also include Neven Subotic, unless you limit it to American born players, in which case you'd have to exclude Jermaine Jones and then you're back down to 9.)

4. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Damn, you guys are harsh. Yes, he did get caught out of position once or twice. One led to a good scoring chance. A couple of missed passes. But he made a lot of good passes and didn't look tentative and all. He moved up into the box once, but his teammates covered for him. Really, he was OK. His D was generally good. The whole team looked in synch.

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. However I also agree with the rating- he was one of the worst RBL players out there . . . and yet he was still pretty good. RBL had a good day. Spurs did not.

6. maroonlaw

maroonlaw Member

Mar 26, 2015
    You can add Tony Sanneh and Robbie Russell to the group stage only list.

7. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    #2432 Dervos, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    And David Regis too.

Boca played (and scored) in qualifying for both Rennes and Rangers I think, but don't think he ever made it close to that deep.

Gooch played in the group stages for both Malage and AC Milan. Milan made the knockout stages that year, but Gooch was broken by then.

Thought it was Horvath - but his excellent run was all group stage I think?

This is fun! Can we pretend it's on topic?

(and someone should eventually tweet Carr and see his list, which probably is just wrong :p )

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    been waiting for this ^^

9. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The relative glut in midfield has to be a factor, they already shipped out Demme, as well as a relatively weaker RWB position has meant an opportunity for minutes comes at a less than ideal position. He does have a great deal of freedom. It's just that some of his instincts for defending and passing are a little off. Playing middle out to spring wingers and backs is a different than trying to cross or pinch in to find passes. He needs to get better connecting passes in traffic. But I think given his recovery and the relatively small number of matches he does need work hard on that, because situational opportunities to move back centrally are going to be much rarer for now. He should enjoy the opportunity to attack freely and work to improve, and also remember to track back, he still lets players get into space behind him, the easiest thing is to play the passing lane and try to win the ball without running too much, but if that doesn't work he needs to hustle back with some urgency. I'm not to worried, chalking it up to rust and the positional switch. RBL move the ball so well on the ground, that he is able to mesh with his teammates is a testament to his talent.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thought out post. Much appreciated. My major concern now is that we are quite deep as a team (USMNT) at RB and he looked like a phenom at CDM for RBL for almost half of last season before getting hurt.... Really want him getting time at CDM... but it looks like Laimer and Sabitzer have a current hold on those duel positions. But any starting time in the Bundesliga for him is a net positive so I am just hoping he stays healthy and on the pitch... that is while the Bundesliga stays open.

11. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Exactly, filling in (and hopefully doing well at) the RWB position can be good for him. Of course, if everything is grinding to a halt, how is that going to affect his recovery? It could actually be good, but who knows.

12. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I know it is slow around here, but I was surprised no one is talking about this hour long interview Herculez Gomez posted with Tyler:

13. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Does it bother anyone else how many idioms Tyler uses wrong or just says wrong? Every interview with this guy I walk away thinking that. Lol. It’s like when Pulisic used to do that thing where everyone he answered a question he would shake his head all over the place.

I do really love his attitude, though.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So you're saying he's not the sharpest tool in the socket?

Gacm32, TarHeels17, bungadiri and 9 others repped this.
  15. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    No, no.

He is one sandwich short of a yogi bear.

bungadiri repped this.
  16. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reading possible May 9th for the Bundesliga.

18. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's proving that a MLS transfer can be successful in Europe. Yedlin had sort of proved that before, kinda, but Adams is proving it better.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    didn't McBride and Dempsey and Friedel and Howard already prove that or did you mean in Europa/CL?

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I don't think the question is "can be successful" as there have been numerous MLS players who have moved up the ladder but rather "is highly likely to be successful" and I think MLS has a ways to go before they earn the trust of elite teams that other developmental leagues (and really individual teams) have earned.

Adams and Davies are good examples but I think what intrigued their buying team is their raw potential and off-the-chart athleticism. I'd also point out that they were sold as teens, which i believe is very important. I'd argue that Almiron wasn't helpful for MLS - certainly not at the price he went for.

Let's see where the next wave of MLS players (Pomykal, Cannon and Long) go to and at what price. Who knows what will happen after Covid19....

22. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two words- Ryan Nelson.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I mean recently. And American. How many recent Yank field players have we had move from MLS to a Top Five™ Euro league and do well there?

Yedlin is almost stretching it.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Kiwi's biggest football star prior to Chris Wood

25. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that’s moving the goalposts quite a bit from your written statement above.