Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I think Nagglesman is playing Adams at RWB and RB because Mukiele just cannot play there and with Klosterman and Halstenburg filling in at CB because of the Konate and Orban injuries there simply is no one else.

It’s a miracle that RB Leipzig is where it’s at in the table. I’d like to think that Laimer would be on the bench if Kampl was available. I don’t understand why they didn’t get back line or CM help in the transfer window.

Timo Werner has carried these guys on his back. He’s the second-best striker in the league BY FAR (Haaland included) and arguably one of the ten best on the planet.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I’ve seen him play about 5 games and I’m not very impressed. I’m sure he’s good but I just don’t see anything that many top strikers can’t do. He’s fast but his skills are good, nothing special. He can’t really take people or at least I haven’t seen it in my admittedly small sample size.Poulsen has looked good when I’ve seen him.

theboogeyman repped this.
  3. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he reminded me a bit of Marcelo in the sense of playing a "back", but being everywhere in the second half. Up left, back right, up right, center. Not sure how effective he was but he seemed to play well. Not perfect, but the competition was class. Davies got the better of him most of the first half but Tyler held his own later on.

what an entertaining game, even with a 0-0 tie. As stated above, it was good. After watching Bremen and Schalke this gave me hope there is some quality in the BL! Leipzig absorbed the pressure first half and had some great chances in the second. It was an intense game with quality players, and it was awesome that Tyler was a significant part of that.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because buying players who are going to improve those situations is expensive, and that isn't their ethos.

Dani Olmo is their second-most expensive signing (and most expensive outside of Red Bull Global) ever.

They'd have to spend at least double what they spent on Olmo to make a meaningful immediate improvement in defense or CM, and they're not going to do that. Any player cheaper than that is either going to be a quickly-redundant depth piece or a project for the future.

dougtee repped this.
  5. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I don’t think it would be hard or extremely expensive to find a CB better than Klosterman or Halstenberg as CBs that would allow one of them (especially Klostermann) to play his natural position. The ugly chain reaction that the Orban, Konate and Kampl injuries created could’ve been mitigated.

This is clearly the last year they’ll have Werner. They topped the table at the break and made the UCL knock-out rounds. They needed to suspend their modus operandi for what is probably a once or twice a decade opportunity. I know that there aren’t many of them outside of Leipzig itself but I’d be pissed if I was a supporter.

I’d argue that acquiring a decent CB who wasn’t seeing game action every week would be an improvement over what they’re doing right now- if they couldn’t find a club willing to part with a CB starter.

I think Olmo was a terrible signing.

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Adams is at right back or RWB because there is no one else. But it is making for an interesting learning experience. It is stretching him to be consequential going forward whilst also defending the likes of Davies. While he has not been completely successful, he has shown well. I love his recognition on the "not" penalty. If he develops more on the attacking end, it will be a net positive. Nagelsman really does seem to be giving him a great deal of freedom. Which does mean there is room at the back for counters. But 0-0 says a lot. RBL certainly had their chances, and for a game that seemed 60-40 or 55-45 for Bayern, RBL certainly punched back hard sometimes. Anytime you have a Yank on the field and turning in a credible performance is a net positive. Tyler's experience today will have positive effects down the road. They will have easier competition down the road, where they can play a little looser, more Red Bull again.

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    based on what olmo showed yesterday it looks like player recruitment personnel at rbs might need a promotion too

wsmaugham repped this.
  8. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    This was regarding his general play, not specifically yesterday.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Given RedBull's overall team speed, they should be the ones going for Dest.

Might as well double down on horsepower.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what kinda wages is Adams on?

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    euros

ATX1, majspike, frankburgers and 6 others repped this.
  12. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Perhaps to play RW to push or succeed Sabitzer. He would be a terrible fit stylistically for RB or LB.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I just want RB to have the fastest players they can get at every position and watch the hurly-burly.

14. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    So this weekendTyler Adams was 18th in the Bundesliga with 12 KM covered, 5th in the Bundesliga with 42 sprints and 4th in the Bundesliga with 99 intensive runs. That’s pretty close to no 1 in running/effort up there with with Lars Bender, Fortunas Berisha, and a couple others.

LouisianaViking07/09 and DHC1 repped this.
  15. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kicker gave Adams a 4 in the game against Bayern. I though he had a good game, nonetheless.

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams was out of position because he played 2 positions; right back and attacking Right Center mid. Davies exploited the space created when RB attacked. Then Werner moved to a the right wing and RB played without a center forward, Pretty much neutralizing Davies for the 2nd half. You can say he was caught out but he didn’t adjust at the half so I think he was doing exactly what the coach wanted...more attacking pressure - yes please.

it was fun to watch the games within the game. Sabitzer and Werner will be kicking themselves though. I thought our boy was balling.

17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a very bogged up game. Nagelsmann did well to clog the middle while still being able to jump out and attack.

The thing to take away was Adams was part of a good team display that held Bayern Munich scoreless

Woodrow, EruditeHobo, dougtee and 2 others repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    While I get Adams getting a 4, I don't get him getting rated the same as Laimer. WTH.

LouisianaViking07/09 and adi21 repped this.
  19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate the versatility and energy/engine required to play this role, coming inside into CM but also being asked to be a RB against the likes of Davies... but man. Did not seem like a good performance for me, overall.

Davies in that first half especially was an absolute beast. And what a luxury for a club like Bayern, to buy the likes of Davies and play him at wingback in order to also deploy all of Goretzka, Muller, Lewa, Gnabry, and Thiago.

This too isn't an unfair overall view of things, IMO.

Dr.Phil, striker and taylor repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm trying to figure out what Laimer did wrong to get the beat down from BS. He kept the clean sheet @ Bayern. He was doing what Nagelsman wanted. He seems like the right guy to play with Adams in cdmid, like Sean Davis at RBNY.

21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just give little credit to these ratings overall. I thought it was one of Laimer's better games of late. I also think Adams did pretty well save the two times he was beat in stoppage time... also, one needs to take into account that he had to be gassed by that point considering the ground he was asked to cover.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    While Laimer is normally good, he was caught out of position often and was less productive in attack than Adams. If he got a 4, then Tyler should have got a 3,5.

23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Tyler's on a steep learning curve if this is going to be his role the rest of the season. Their league schedule should be a little easier going forward and their out of the cup already. It's really just the UCL knockouts, with Tottenham up first, where it could get interesting. He's getting to try some different things, and I think he's better, more comfortable in the middle, but he definitely has to step it up. They'll need him their run of games down the stretch.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    4 means "meh".

striker repped this.
  25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Laimer was not supposed to attack. They started in a 532 and played it very safe up the touchlines. As the game progressed with the score at 0-0, Nagelsman got more aggressive in the 2nd half but it wasn't like Adams wasn't chasing a lot of tail at that point.