Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This seems like it will lead to an increase in the Tyler Adams to Leeds chatter.

2. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    It would make sense and Tyler would fill that gap. However, would be a major step down in "prestige."

Overall, I think he would face better competition week in and week out and the hit to his pride would be the bigger issue. That said, Leeds is not a relegation team when healthy and hopefully they can use this windfall to add some much needed depth.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point in history, I'm not sure that going from a rotational player at the 4th-placed team in the Bundesliga to starter (assuming that's the case) at the 16th-placed team in the EPL is really a step down in "prestige". The EPL is flying that high right now.

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also have another entire set of Cup Matches in the England and the EPL plays 4 more games in a season than the BL. IMO, Leeds has a rather rich football history... albeit most of that was in the past. But if Tyler comes and and pairs with Aaronson to help Jesse bring Leeds back to mid-table plus then I think there would be plenty of prestige WRT the move.

theboogeyman repped this.
  5. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TIL Champions League QF 3 years ago and consistent top 4 bundesliga team isn’t a step above a team that just survived relegation. That team is also losing their best players.

I guess Tyler Adams is taking the same path as Jesse.

wsmaugham and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big shoes to fill.

Tom Collingsworth and Deeneaus repped this.
  7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not arguing that the football is better at Leeds than RBL. We're talking about prestige here. The EPL has a massive advantage in "prestige" over the Bundesliga, 4th place or not. The money is there, the players all dream of going there. The EPL is so ridiculously far ahead in the UEFA Country Coefficient it's not even funny. Spain is not too far away, but the rest (including the Bundesliga) are just miles away. So, yeah, I'll stick by my statement that being a starter at Leeds isn't a step down in prestige from being a backup at RB Leipzig.

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped,quoted,on vacay so too lazy to post a GIF.

9. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Losing their best players this transfer cycle means that there is a good chance the step down may not be prestige but might be to the championship.

usnroach repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Eventually nearly all end up in the Championship one way or another. I guess I have to make my peace with it and use a Jedi mind trick to convince myself that the Ch'ship is awesome.

It seems to work for many in here.

usnroach, Ray Shoesmith and majspike repped this.
  11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    iTz ThA 6xHt mOaSt BiGgeSt LeEgUh iN dA WoRlDdd!!!!!

usnroach and majspike repped this.
  12. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I am following what you are saying but strongly disagree with it.

Separately, at least It will mean more minutes for TA. I just don’t see him growing as a player in that situation.

tomásbernal repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Are folks so certain he'd be a straight starter at Leeds?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

15. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Freakin sucks for Jesse.

At RB, they sold some really good players and handicapped his start.

This looks like it will be worse with Phillips and Raphihna leaving and he only has 3-4 weeks to integrate any new players which are underwhelming compared to those 2 (sorry Brandon, show me).

They need to give Jesse at least $100m here to buy/compete. Last year’s squad was skin of teeth good enough…and the owner wants to milk the transfer difference? BS…INVEST! and give your coach a chance (and don’t wait until Jan!!!)

majspike and Deeneaus repped this.
  16. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    There is English TV brainwashing at work here also.

It‘s the dominant soccer league, peddled by those who are in it, so it‘s all much better than it really is.

The irony is if foreigners had not taken over all of England‘s ownership, coaching, training and tactics all the money in the world wouldn‘t save them from themselves. They were decades behind the rest of the continent and SA and fought the foreign invasion (many called it that) tooth and nail.
    That being said, even though it was way behind it was a lot more fun to watch, which was the PL‘s saving grace TBH.
    Essentially the culture and openness is what attracted people.
    Calcio was brutal. Bliga couldn‘t be watched anywhere easily. LaLiga was a Spanish thing and who cared about France?

Usually the quality on the field attracts people, but this was environment over substance.

Now the EPL has become the monster most there were desperate for it to be, but almost in spite of them!

The CShip has now been elevated to a point I simply don‘t comprehend. I just have to stop watching those matches, because most are garbage, but if they tell me enough they aren’t I guess I will change my mind.

I thought Klinnsy was a fool and a devisive manipulative politician (it’s how he covered up his own obvious shortcomings} but he was dead on about the CShip IMO. He thought it was crap. i think it‘s slightly better. Oh well.

Gonna be hard in Leeds.

Dizi, adi21 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I wouldn’t get too upset for him without knowing what’s going on behind the scenes.

Leipzig sold two center backs and an important midfielder, and mostly replaced them with young prospects. It also seemed like Sabitzer’s transfer was a bit of a surprise. I believe they actually had a negative net spend. This was on top of following up a top manager who probably overachieved in Nagelsmann.

with Leeds, it seems like they’ve been expecting to sell Phillips and Raphina, and they’re definitely targeting more quality transfers. Aaronson is a young player from a smaller league, but he’s also 30% more expensive than the most expensive player Leipzig bought last summer. Adams would represent another pretty expensive transfer, and he’s a somewhat proven commodity (and he has played for marsh before). They will need to bring in a player like Adams to make up for losing Phillips, but if they can do that and bring in one more quality starter, I think it would be a pretty good window for them.

Dizi repped this.
  18. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    The bolded part is the main point though. You can’t ignore the fact that money has been poured into the EPL over the past couple decades, and that it’s added a bunch of quality to the league. Much of it has been wasteful, but other leagues don’t have a 16th-placed team like leeds routinely buying players forv30 million dollars. And it shows in their play, as clubs like Leeds and Everton have a lot more talent than a club like Augsburg.

19. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one love striped kits, especially vertical stripes, and per capita the Championship is off the charts in those.

Dizi and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I like hoops. Reminds me of a more traditional, calmer time.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  21. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I absolutely do NOT want to see Adams there.

Leeds has no shot whatsoever of making Europe. It is career move down for him, and an unnecessary one at that.

Not to mention, Leeds could easily be again relegation-fodder, which is terrible type playing atmosphere to play higher level football.

Finally, if they would relegate with Jesse as coach and 2 American key purchases- Americans players and coaches would get skewered once again vía press and reputation. Adams would have messed up his career BIG TIME.

Stay away, Tyler, please.

If Jesse can get stabilize Leeds above relegation zone this season and 2- it would be major, major accomplishment. Would love to see him leave for a better gig after that

If Tyler can’t get a better offer than Leeds, he should fire his agent and get a new agent working on a deal…even if it takes until after World Cup/January window.

22. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I saw the points per game that Leeds gained when Jesse was hired if he kept on that pace for a whole season he would of finished with Leeds well out of the relegation battle. I do not remember the exact number.

23. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    The bottom of the Bund is just brutally bad. Tyler will have to be on top of his game every single week to compete in the PL, there will be no days off. As long as he consistently plays and Leeds don't get relegated (big if) I'd have to think that it would be good for his development as a player.

I'm not arguing its a good career move for him or not, just that he could end up a better player in the long run if things work out for a couple of years at Leeds.

25. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    #5050 ebbro, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022