Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I’m not much of a DIY guy.

superdave and onefineesq repped this.
  2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    US players who have won the DFB Pokal:

1990 - Dooley
    2017 - Pulisic
    2018 - Chandler
    2021 - Reyna
    2022 - Adams

Who else? Technically, Jermaine Jones played for Schalke in the early rounds in 2011, but I don't think he's considered a winner because they sent him out on loan to Blackburn for the second half of the season.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds stays up; rumors begin.

4. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams at Leeds would be tasty

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams Aaronson midfield is instantly must see tv

Mt Stone@ repped this.
  6. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Yeah, like when you burp and get a bit of vomit in your mouth.

March gets till Christmas with a nearly relegated team. On this off chance they are not leaking goals and heading for the bottom three then Adams gets a hardcore workout as a CDM which is never a bad thing.

Likely scenario is March is canned and Adams is added to that list of yanks who go to crap EPL teams to devaluate and end up in MLS to Jupiler league.

But maybe he needs that cash

russ repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why go from a CL level team to one that barely stayed up? I think he should go to a team that is already in European Competition that plays a 4-3-3 so he can shine as a single 6. Preferably a team that views Adams as “the guy”.

8. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    From Jesse's perspective and budget, I could see where Adams makes sense.

From Adams perspective, I think its bad career management and an unnecessary step down.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do you really think that poorly of Adams?

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s more a statement on (perceived) decision-making at English clubs.

golazo68, USA-Zebuel and Winoman repped this.
  11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'd rather Adams go elsewhere as well, TBH.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The "likely scenario" being one in which Adams gets so devalued that he goes from Leipzig -> Leeds -> MLS is an indictment of Adams, first and foremost.

If you think he's a good player, a bad career decision wouldn't send him running back to MLS at 25.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  13. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Not at all.

I think he has the chops to have a respectable career in the top 5 leagues.

However, that has to be a curated career which means avoiding pitfalls like Leeds United and opting for a smarter trajectory into the PL.

That may mean another year at RB and more CL time instead of a regulation fight with no CL time.

golazo68 and jnielsen repped this.
  14. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    The problem comes when a players wages outpace their perceived value. The risk is getting stuck at a club unless the contract is craftily written for outs. Unfortunately, PL wages are such that it could be a one way ticket for some amount of time which could destabilize a career.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Some people are just obsessed with England.

onefineesq, golazo68 and usnroach repped this.
  16. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, that Leeds squad was better than that showing and with a few more quality guys and a bit better injury luck, they should survive comfortably. The stumble you suggest seems even more unlikely -- if Leeds suck and everyone loses their job he won't have to head to some lesser league with his tail between his legs. There will always be high level suitors for a guy with his profile and skillset.

I think we can all agree that things as they stand currently at Liepzig are not great and if he wants more minutes and a bigger role, he's gonna have to leave.

HScoach13 repped this.
  17. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d go for Adams to Leeds. At the very least, it would make for more convenient Yank Abroad watching. However, if Marsch spends 50 mil on two Americans, he better produce results.

I don’t think Leeds are going to be in danger of relegation… they had some terrible injury luck. And are better than their final standing in my opinion.

Mt Stone@ repped this.
  18. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Lol at the first sentence. But why so confident that a train wreck is coming? Seems like there is way too much uncertainty between now and Christmas to justify that prediction. Is Leeds underfunded or just historically bad at roster building? Or is this just your vote of no confidence in Marsch?

19. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't understand why people want him to go to Leeds. Even if you want to look at last year, when everything went right and they finished in 9th but not in European places. Even if they don't lose their best players in Raphina, Kalvin Philips, and Bamford. Some think they are going to out perform Tottenham, Arsenal, United, or Leicester to get to a European place? Or is it not important play in continental competitions as long as it is the Prem?

I think TA is good enough to play on teams that play CL or EL consistently and are a top 4 league.

20. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    It is a vote of no confidence with PL tendencies to fire coaches at the first sign of trouble. Hence March’s appointment.

I maybe gun shy but every time a coach gets sacked out yanks have a tough go with new staff.

Probably a lot of projection of fears on my end to be fair

dspence2311 and Winoman repped this.
  21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys should obviously go to the situation that best fits them, but it’s not hard to see the appeal of England for both players and fans. It’s the best league in the world, players get paid better than other in leagues, it’s the easiest culture/language fit in terms of places to live in Europe, and it’s the most followed/most accessible European league in the US.

It’s not right for every US player, but I can definitely see why a lot of them might prefer it.

jnielsen and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  22. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is also two Cup Competitions which means more chances to play... but I think the 3-sub rule might take away from that a bit. But overall... I agree. There are a lot of reasons why playing in England would be attractive to US players. In Adams' case... I think going to Leeds would be a step down. I think he is good enough now to be starting as a single 6 on many teams in the CL/EL in top 5 Europe. That being said... I don't absolutely hate the idea. If Jesse does well next season then there would be a lot of minutes available to Adams. And it would be kind of cool to have Adams and Aaronson making waves on the same EPL Team.

Dervos and gomichigan24 repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's culture. That you always think it's the best league in the world, that you agree with them that the most important thing in a soccer career is making 50 million instead of just 20 million, and that it's the most followed league in the US, are just corollaries.

The root of it all is the shared culture. Reason why in most of Latin America La Liga is considered the best (even now, when they are not --on the other hand, Anglo people in the US considered the EPL the best even when none of their clubs were making semis in the Champions), and in Argentina Serie A is always seen as a candidate to the best.

The root of our perception of the world is our culture. And you only get it when you grow up in several different ones.

russ, usnroach and Winoman repped this.
  24. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t say I always thought it was the best league in the world, but it definitely is at current. Something the financial disparities driven by the pandemic has only exacerbated. La Liga in particular has a ton of financial issues right now.

I think that if I were a professional soccer player I’d care about making 50 million in my career versus 20 million. I think that most people would.

But all those factors are also my it’s appealing to our players/fanbase. But I personally don’t feel every player should go to the EPL. But I can see why so many of them want to. I don’t think Tyler Adams should go to Leeds for instance.

25. nthemsum

nthemsum Member

Jan 14, 2006
    boise,id
    Leeds fans think they need a more holding-defensive midfield paring with Phillips. One who can play deeper and help the back line get the ball forward. Phillips played that role when he came back from injury but his real talent is his passing and transitional opportunistic play. If Leeds hang on to Phillips, I think a player like Adams would thrive in that DM role. Plus, he is more suited to that role than what Tedesco wants out of him in the double pivot.