Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Non-invasive means like laparoscopic. No open incision just a hole or two. Faster recovery, maybe less thorough examination of the damage.

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame his physical therapists. He should have been fully healed. Too soon maybe, but probably poor rehab. I've had some bad hamstring tears, but it never took more than 3 months to heal. Crazy. I think we have to be prepared that he may never be the same player again.

3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, it looks worse than that.

Wrong initial diagnosis which led to incorrect initial procedure.

Rehab looks like it wasn’t well done, thru no fault of Tyler.

Then the green light to return obviously well before his hamstring was healed.

In a previous career I was a strength and conditioning coach and dealt with a lot of rehab. This is the first time I’ve heard of an athlete across any sport have a procedure, take half a yr to rehab, play 20 mins then immediately need another surgery and another almost half yr rehab.

I've seen a surgically repaired ACL torn again but that's different.

4. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Confirmed by the manager:

Winoman repped this.
  5. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
  6. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse?

I am ducking now ....

ChicagoVT, Gorky and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  7. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Bournemouth won today?

mattjens and twoolley repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler will miss yet another entire year of soccer. Brutal.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The concern is that if he comes back at the end of February or March AND Bournemouth go down (a realistic chance), can Adams run away from another relegation?

I don’t see another team spending much on him until he shows he can stay healthy. But would there be options for loans w/ options? What would Bournemouth want?

The odds favor Adams being stuck going down with the ship

ChicagoVT, usnroach and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Given his history, it would probably be better for him to walk away from another relegation. Have to protect those hamstrings. I haven't really seen a positive impact on his game since he went to Europe. He could play in MLS on a fat contract, have access to the best sports medicine folks in the world, and still be the same Tyler Adams he's always been when he plays for the USMNT.

11. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Something to think about, for sure. It's all about the bottom line. he's a warrior. he'll be back to prove a point. I just hope he is healthy. If not to play, just to live.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I have to agree with Joe Lowery. It probably would have been better for Adams (health-wise) to be a rotational player at RB Leipzig than try to make it as a starter in England. But I am sure wants a big role.

usnroach repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The concern is that hamstring surgeries at that age usually mean the guy won't ever reach his potential.

It's time to start thinking about moving on, by the time he's back to match ready they'll be in the Championship.

14. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue that that Tyler Adams (the MLS version) isn't quite good enough for the USMNT, and by the time that guy gets back to his best, there will already by another 3/4 Young Guys™ who can largely do what he does on D, and provide more than what he has up until the last 6 months or so he had pre-injury on O. He was a Kante in the making but now who knows. The poor man's Kante gave up the ghost and took the big money in Saudi Arabia ironically enough.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Bournemouth are actually not doing too badly re: relegation.

ChrisSSBB and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler is out for the season?

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the original estimate was Feb or March. Hopefully they are still in it by then. But I would also like an update.

usnroach repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Poor rehab protocols are said to have killed Ansu Fati's career.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hamstrings are tricky. Depending on how much reconstruction needs to be done, you cut through a LOT of nerves - and muscle. Getting everything firing again and breaking up the interior scar tissue can be a slow process that never really gets back to close to the original form.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't disagree with the idea of returning to MLS, but I think it's kind of counter to what we hear to suggest MLS has access to better sports med. The best sports med will flow to money, and the Prem has a lot of it.
    OTOH, this sounds nasty and there's not certainty that he will ever return to what he was, is there?

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Given the amount of money in American sports (NFL, NBA, NHL, etc.) an MLS team would have access to the best sports medicine on the planet. OTOH, medical knowledge is widely shared internationally, so an EPL team will have access to sports medicine that's unlikely to be very far behind and will have far more experience in adapting American techniques to the peculiarities of soccer injuries.

IMO it's a crapshoot, one where I fear @Suyuntuy is far more likely than not to be correct.

tomásbernal and mschofield repped this.
  23. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    From watching Bournemouth I see 2 positives for Tyler.

1) the team is gelling and is looking like they will get away from relegation.

2) one thing Bournemouth does feel like they're missing is a defensive minded midfielder so I think when healthy Tyler will get integrated very quickly

ChicagoVT and gomichigan24 repped this.
  24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm thinking that we're hearing a lot of players these days show up in MLS and say, "It's amazing, it's really simiilar the facilities/methods/whatever we had in the Prem/Bund.Liga etc." they aren't saying, this blows away what we've seen.
    I would also note that there are flights between Euro cities hosting rich clubs and US cities housing medical care experts. There are a lot of really expert Euro docs. I had my knee done by the guy who does a lot of the 1Bund players. but I've known people who've headed back to the US for very major surgery, and it's quite possible.
    This injury sucks.

25. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Tyler can clearly hack it in the best leagues in the world. Injuries are the only thing holding him back. Some of the recent posts seem like people don't believe that, which blows my mind. He is a great player with some really really bad luck in regards to injury.

tomásbernal repped this.