Two to Top Group C

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by VCFan, May 19, 2008.

1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyone can send 100 balls over the net. If you're not hitting the target, you're not going to score. Henry has been a ghost, Anelka isn't really an all star, Benzema is still young and inexperienced...Gomis might be a surprise. The mid will carry France as it has in the past.

2. ILCT

ILCT New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    the dutch play good ball but defensively they're a tragedy and they have about as much mental toughness as a kleenex. they'll be lucky if they collect 2 points in the group.

3. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We seemed to have plenty of "mental toughness" in '88, when we won the Euro

4. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    So the '88 team is gonna play this tournament?

5. ILCT

ILCT New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    what a convincing argument. 1 title in almost a 100 years is definitely indicative of a team who knows how to win :rolleyes:

6. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We are only a country of 15 million people, if anything we over-achieve
    given our size.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You're right. If I were Italy I'd field a B-team, why waste energy on that bunch of losers.

8. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    At least they aren't declaring teams should be "terrified" of them like the Dutch are...

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Oh FFS. A Canadian of Dutch descent told you that almost a year ago, get over it. We've a pretty balanced view of things overall on the Dutch board as you should know, the actual Dutch posters in any case, and you seem to conveniently forget that we all cordially congratulated the Romanians after their win in the qualifiers. On that note, the actual Romanian posters don't seem to have a problem with the Dutch which is kind of hilarious: overseas Holland supporters and overseas Romania supporters and overseas Italy supporters are slagging each other off while actual citizens of said countries typically hold much more realistic views.

10. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    :rolleyes:

You still haven't provided the proof of what Piturca said BTW

And cordially congratulated my ass. Most of you were too busy trying to blame the result on the pitch conditions.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You know why Sneijder said that don't you? Who actually told him that the Italians are afraid of the Dutch? Think Real Madrid team mate, currently injured. Sportweek copied this story from VI

http://www.vi.nl/Achtergronden/Colu...rlandEuropeesKampioen,WaaromEigenlijkNiet.htm

The full quote went like this: "I told Cannavaro we were the underdogs but he wouldn't have it, he said they were more afraid of us than of the French."

I can also provide a billion links to quotes from Dutch players saying that Holland are the underdogs in this group, let me know if you want me to post them.

And finally: oh no we weren't, not the Dutch-based posters. The Romanian posters actually called complimented us on our behaviour after the loss. You can look it up if you want.

12. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    That doesn't equate to being "terrified." Or was that lost in translation?

So you don't count the non-Dutch based posters as Dutch fans? What if you were posting from England? Would you feel that you shouldn't be counted in the group of Oranje fans?

13. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It's what your bullshit link added to it, dumbass :rolleyes:

Sneijder never used the word terrified.

You're right. Have some glue and a 10 cent hooker.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    As you yourself constantly prove, overseas fans have this habit of unrealistically bigging up 'their own' national team. I'm of course happy that Holland has fans outside the Netherlands but there is no way for them to be as well informed on the status of Dutch football today as Dutch people are.

15. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    That's a dumb statement to make. Maybe 5-10 years ago that's maybe a valid argument but with the way technology is today it's very likely that some dedicated fans outside the country are more informed than fans in the country.

Hell, all but 2 of about 25 posters on another Romanian forum aren't in Romania. We do a pretty decent job of staying informed.

O, and btw I went back and read the Romania-Oranje thread from the Romania win. I counted 2 "Holland based" posters complaining of the pitch and weather and you yourself didn't even "cordially congratulate" us. You said "we were the luckier of the 2 sides." :rolleyes:

16. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Spectacular post.

Way to really prove my point. :)

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    And this is Romania bashing how exactly? If I remember correctly it was you who came to the Dutch board trying to wind people up.

And I'm sorry but I can't stand overseas fans pretending that they represent the views of people who actually live in the country.

18. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Calling the stadium "a peasants barn" isn't exactly a compliment.

I've posted in the Dutch forums on many occasions before that. Our sides have played each other 4 times in the last 3 years or so, it's not like I'm a stranger to posting in your forum on matchday.

The last part of your post is just ignorant. So you're saying you discount the views of anyone not living in the country they're posting about? That disqualifies over half your board in that case.

19. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What makes you think your point is relevant. This is the Euros thread, whatcha doing here anyway?

Instead of making a point, try taking one. Don't tell us what one of our boys is saying in the media :rolleyes:

20. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Kind of like the Dutch posters fabricating quotes of our coach? :rolleyes:

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes I do. Most of the information you overseas fans get is second hand - you base your opinions on match highlights and written match reports, and tend to rate only those players who are in the big leagues simply because that's what the international media show and report on - no fault of your own but fact all the same. Example: I've been telling the overseas Dutch posters for two years that Engelaar is class, and as prove directed them to Dutch footballer of the year rankings, but they never believed me. One of them even asked me who the tall bloke at a Holland training was - they didn't recognise him. And you know why? Because they have minimal access to live Twente games. Yet now that they've seen him play 3 friendlies for Holland, they all rate him of a sudden. And I'm supposed to take them seriously when they, for example, tell me Seedorf belongs in Oranje? Do me a favour. There's also no way of knowing for overseas fans what the undercurrents in the country of the national team they support are. All of the subtle hints dropped in random Dutch interviews on radio and television and in magazines pass them by. No fault of their own, but fact all the same.

Are you the one who pretends to speak Dutch?

22. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You'd have to take that up with whoever did that.

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Isn't it funny how you immediately assume that Sneijder was correctly quoted whilst assuming that Piturca wasn't?

24. Nickless

Nickless New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Pff...what's this al about? Why don't we stop with throwing dirt at each other and start talking about football..And we can discuss al we want, about how good the defence of Italy is, the thoughness of the French, the opportunistic approach of football of the Dutch, or the "I will fight for my country" mentality of the Romanians (Also with good football ;))...But I all want to remind you on a quote of Gary Lineker:

"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end the Germans win."

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004