Two Mac questions

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Jacen McCullough, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Both dealing with Microsoft Office for Mac.

I have a Macbook pro that I bought last June (love it!). I am having two problems though (user malfunction, not machine malfunction).

1st- I am taking a Latin class at the moment, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to add a macron bar over a letter. I tried Google and got nothing. Can anyone post a step-by-step for how to add a macron bar to a letter?

2nd- I had a curriculum guide that I made on a Windows office suite that I downloaded to my Mac. The curriculum guide is in a set of folders, and all of the materials I need are listed in one word file and linked (so I only have to open the one Word file and then click on the resource that I need). All of the files open and work fine, but none of the links work. I tried to use the guide from a flash drive, and again, none of the links work. When I re-do a link on the Mac, it works, but I have well over 200 linked files that would have to be re-done (which would be a right, time-consuming pain in the ass). Does anyone have any ideas as to how to download the curriculum guide in a way that will keep the links intact and functional?

Thanks!

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apple discussion here on Latin Macrons/apices. There are also symbol palettes (Insert/Symbol) functions in Unicode that allow bars placed over letters to be set up and copied when needed through symbol palette; they are available as pre_build Unicode characters but you may create them inserting the Unicode $0305 just after the letter. Sadly it doesn't apply to all characters. Further step-by-step discussion here on that route.

I would have to see your folder setup to ascertain if the hyperlinks in the MS Word file are correctly defined to target folders upon download; but I do have a workaround that may help. Go back to your parent setup in Windows Office and make sure you're happy with MS Word file with all 200 links to your guide. Then print this MS Word file to a PDF (it will preserve the links exactly as created). Then transfer the curriculum guide to your Mac entire. When you open PDF on the Mac it should work fine.