Post-match: TWO EPISODES UNTIL SEASON FINALE. MLS MATCHDAY 32 CREW VS PINK COWS SAT OCT 1 7:30PM (NYRB)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Sep 24, 2022.

?

RESULT?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2022.
  1. Crew win by 2 or more aka Caleb Porter Master Class

8.5%
  2. Crew win by 1

12.8%
  3. Draw (CANADIAN WIN)

34.0%
  4. Crew lose by 1

19.1%
  5. Crew lose by 2 or more aka Coachbot 9000 disaster class

2.1%
  6. MY HOPES ARE DASHED. END IT ALREADY - DAVID KERR

8.5%
  7. reverse tie. Crew score winning goal in 75th min or later and win - Worth 3 points

14.9%
  1. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Farsi saved a goal and set up one too. Capys saving porter's butt

Tobias C, TrueCrew and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Masterclass from Porter. He realized that even the Crew can't blow a lead if they wait until the third minute of stoppage time to take the lead in the first place. o_O

Tobias C, DAFCrew, Minnman and 8 others repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal #1: I can't believe the poise from Etienne to let that ball go across his body before striking it. In that space, in that situation, with that time and score, and the fact that he had just choked one away, it would have been only natural to try to force a shot on the first touch. That was straight class.

Goal #2: Brilliant touch by LZ to put JRR in on goal. Rowe forced a pretty tough save, and Etienne just needed to finish his run and Donovan-vs-Algeria that thing home.

NY's goal: Hey, that's a hell of a strike. But from 30 yards out, is it really asking too much to have a goalie who makes an attempt at a save? Whether he picks it up late or not? I took a lot of shit on social media a couple weeks ago for criticizing Room for not going for the shot in the Portland game. Well, here we go again.

redi44crew, TracieB, TrueCrew and 6 others repped this.
  4. FootyHooligan32

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 26, 2022
    Remember when y’all were downplaying Crew 2 players’ contributions in MLS? Well two Capys just created the goals to give us the win. All the more reason for Courtois in.

Tobias C, ColumbusFTW, Kyle Crew and 3 others repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TyphonInc, Tobias C, Jaybir and 8 others repped this.
  6. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walk-off victory!

Guardians rubbing off on the Crew?

7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of us who missed the match.

I forgot they played until my brother texted me asking if I was watching after Etienne's second goal. lol

Tobias C repped this.
  8. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I learned that lesson tonight.

GoCrew1996 repped this.
  9. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was such a crazy match. Cucho, LZ, and Mensah not starting when we needed 3 points. Lethargic offense, chaotic defense, too many lateral and backpasses for most of the match. It felt like it was going to be another tie. LZ and Etienne come on and both looked crappy for their first few minutes. Then NYRB scores. I lost it and started writing off the Crew's playoff chances, railing about this crappy season, calling for Porter to be immediately fired, and I even told my friends that if Etienne was back next season, I was done with season tickets. Suddenly 2 quick goals from Etienne, and one of the greatest comebacks in Crew history. God, I love this team. With two away matches to close out the season, and a tight Eastern Conf. race for the playoff positions, we still might not make it. The first tie-breaker for playoff positions is total number of wins per match. A couple of those 15 ties may come back to bite us in the ass. The euphoria after tonight's match felt really good after what we have been through during this bizarre and thoroughly frustrating season.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were behind the goal in on MY's first. That goal is 100% on Nagbe. Not only does he lollygag out there to close the shooter down, he also manages to screen Room.

I was talking to my friend to bitch about the close out, but all I got out was "Damnit Darlington...." before the shot went in.

Plus, they had nearly scored from that same spot on another clearance in the first half.

Anywho, great comeback. Most satifying win at the new digs, regular season, without doubt. Only other one that comes close is the Cup win.

Grouchy and zman31 repped this.
  11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a guy sliding in front of him, from our view, at least. He had to get it airborne.

12. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why would you taunt the soccer gods thusly

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a glorious Sunday morning.

Jaybir, speedye1, Ball Kicker and 7 others repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the ball popped out to the guy that scored, I had a bad feeling and told Mrs. KG that just before he hit it.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  15. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1000% this.
    I was right in line with the play and was stunned how both Artur and Nagbe just turned around and watched. Zero effort made on closing out the shooter.
    Room gets .01% of the blame for the goal. It was well taken and he was blocked.

16. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the disaster of a game up until the 80min I was counting how many players could have been playing in what would be their last home game:
    Williams
    Santos
    Artur
    Hurtado
    Then in the possible category:
    Room
    Milos
    Plus you have the bench players who were brought in and can’t get close to touching the field:
    Yeboah and James I
    Bottom line, massive roster overhaul coming soon!

NUFC Fan repped this.
  17. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Artur , Santos , Milos & Room will all be back unless they are out of contract there is no way they aren’t here next year. I like all 4 of them but Room is overpaid but that’s better than a even worse GK

Ball Kicker repped this.
  18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe we got a Reverse Crew!

What an incredible way to likely finish the home Crew season.

Please watch this replay again folks. That was indeed a brilliant touch from Lucas to find Russell-Rowe.

chr1st, DAFCrew and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farsi & JRR were also big last night.

FWIW, both by chance and as a result of some good play, we may not have to play everyone 90 mins 3 times in 8 days.

CF: Cucho is rested and JRR showed he can help us.

Att mid: Molino is back and playing decently and Pedro is also contributing as a MF. Etienne & Diaz also there, of course.

CM: Nagbe, Moreis, & Artur. Plus a oittle Igbekeme.

FB: Moreira, Pedro, & Farsi. With Sands not a horrific option.

Though all these guys will not be options vs Charlotte. As a reminder, you have to go with the lineup/roster you had for the game.

Columbus: Room; Moreira, Mensah, Williams, Santos; Morris, Nagbe; Diaz, LZ, Etienne; Cucho.

Bench: Bush; Sands; Degenek, Anibaba; Hairston; Igbekeme; Molino, Yeboah; Hurtado.

I think everyone is good to go save for Mensah. No Artur, JRR, or Farsi for us as they were not on the gameday roster for the original.

Charlotte will still be missing captain Christian Fuchs, who was suspended for the original match.

Anyone know anything on Mensah's prognosis?

hangthadj and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  21. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ah, such a beautiful Sunday morning after such an unlikely comeback. While I am thrilled for Etienne, I was somewhat incredulous during the second half about his not coming on much sooner. He was the most obvious catalyst on the bench, after Lucas, and especially against a side that had him playing USL matches when he was clearly worthy of first team minutes.

And, yes, I'll take those Grouchy points, thanks!

hangthadj and zman31 repped this.
  22. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i too get grouchy points

23. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #223 Bill Archer, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Was Degenek wearing the armband last night? He was the one who orchestrated the post game huddle and was the only one who spoke.

He has come on strong over the past couple of months and is clearly now a team leader. Not long ago people were saying he was another Bez Bust (TM) but I think it just took him a bit to get acclimated to MLS.

I'm sold on Milos.

24. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm just now recovering from an incredible night and thought I would finally share.

Wow. I don't know what it is about this club, but I'm dumbfounded by the incredible, bizarre situations and circumstances that have surrounded us from the beginning, both good and bad. What an insane wild ride it has been. One thing has been consistent, there is an enduring undercurrent of persevering through darkness, no matter how bleak things look.

So last night I'm sitting in our seats, down 1-0 to one of the better teams in the league, without our striker and CB, 'round about the 80th minute or so, and I start constructing Porter's eulogy in my head. Being an optimist I begin embracing the new era that this disaster will no doubt bring on. "Good. I'm glad. Things had to break completely if we are ever going to fix it. The season will wrap up early and I'll get about my other fall activities."

Then. Wait. "That's great work up the right side!" Santos is through! THE KID WITH THE CHEST! Then the longest millisecond I can remember, my heart lodges in my throat, as Derrick calmly waits a full hour and a half I think, before putting it away. My partially constructed venomous sermon instantly disintegrated and I bask in exuberance. I wait too long for these moments and I savored fully.

Then, a few minutes later. BAM. No way! The KIDS no less! Farsi and JRR have been extraordinary cavalry.

I had already lost my voice booing the ref earlier in the game (I was not conspicuous btw, great crowd!) But somehow, I managed one of the loudest, longest guttural sounds I think I've ever made.

I will say this. If we make the playoffs, and I believe we will, the teams at the top who draw us will not receive their just reward for a hard fought season. We are a team who has yet to hit its stride and the talent is sufficient, that if inspired, can beat anybody.

Amazing and thrilling bit of history last night that adds to the club's lore. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

POdinCowtown, Tobias C, zman31 and 9 others repped this.
  25. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nagbe wore the armband.

I too am sold on Milos

TracieB, TRUJDUB21 and Bill Archer repped this.