Twitter-mania

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by Aveirenses, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Honestly, I hate twitter, I think it's the most useless thing to be conceived using the internet. I mean what the hell kind of a point can you make in 140 characters?

Facebook > Twitter

The only interesting thing about twitter is that celbs use it on a normal basis. Freddy Adu has one, btw.

2. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Good for viral publicity. And that's all really.

I often underrate mankind for its stupidity. I've seen so many bad/absurd internet ideas becoming successful that I fear my rationality won't have a saying in the market.

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't have an account nor do I want one. But I friend showed me the other day how basic it is, and somewhat useless from a normal person point of view. With that said, whoever owns the site, should definitely cash in now and sell it for million and million and million of dollars.

4. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Twitter is a growing phenomenon. It is pretty much a social networking, useful for small businesses and texting or sending messages to clients. Most celebs post personal stuff which is weird.... I prefer it over Myspace though.

Also, it was named 2009 top tech trends of 2009 by CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/12/30/best.tech.trends.2009/

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think twitter is pretty pathetic. Especially the people that spend their entire day "following" hundreds of other people 97% of which they don't know.

Some chick asked me to follow her on twitter, I told her to follow me into hell first.

But here is the height of stupidity on the part of the celebs that twitter. Many have Myspace sites as well that can garner some revenue. Why not just make your own damn web site put up a twitter like section where you post w/e daily and put ads everywhere and make money off the idiots that need to know everything about you 24/7

In short twitter is stupid the people that use it are either under a delusion that people care about what they just ate or are actually dumb enough to want to know what someone else just ate. Which Muppet are you?

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Legend!

7. umdemelo

umdemelo Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Charm City
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's funny. :D

I have to say that I only partly agree with your feelings on twitter. Anyone who uses Twitter to follow celebrities is wasting their time and not doing justice to what Twitter can do for them. IMO to really harness twitter's power you have to be laser focused on who you follow and who follows you. It's not like facebook where you can be following people you went to high school but haven't seen in years without any problems. I only follow my close social and family circle on twitter (and vice/versa) and a few establishments and organizations I use regularly and for that Twitter is amazing. My general rule for people is if I don't hang out with them live I don't follow them on twitter. No long distance allowed. Let me use a few real examples of how useful twitter can be.

1) I unexpectedly got 3 free tickets from a guy at work to see the Orioles last summer (good seats on the 3rd base line). I put out a tweet seeing who wants to go. All my close friends get it either on their computers as a widget alert or as texts to their cells. Within an hour the two extras are spoken for plans are made and i didn't have to go around calling or texting everyone one by one trying to convince people to go.

2) This local bar I like is on Twitter (I go reasonably often) they send out a tweet that not only only will they be doing a surprise $1.50 Stella on thursday but burgers are also going to be half price. I send out a tweet to my friends and by the end of the afternoon we've got a group going for cheap beer and burgers at a place we love after work.

3) Last real example. I follow Benfica on twitter, at first it was useless since they'd send out a tweet about something 2 days after every other media outlet had reported it but they're getting faster and more reliable with the news and mark my words time is coming when you'll be able to get injury reports, player transfers, and club news direct from the source in almost real time. Benfica signs a player withing the hour the tweet will come, Cardozo pulls a hamstring, the tweet will be out within 30 minutes of the medical confirmation. If there's going to be a discount on the online store it's announced or if there is a special event at the club (since I'm not in lisbon this doesn't really help me).

Don't use Twitter to follow celebrities and people you don't see on a regular basis and you will see how helpfull it can be. Also for bars, restaurants, clubs or whatever you actually go to Tweets can let you in on specials, live acts, cheap tickets, etc.

8. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I never thought of it in this manner. Interesting.

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I like how umdemelo rolls on twitter. But for me none of my friends have it save for a couple of chicks that use it to suck up to celebrities so I personally have no use for it.

10. umdemelo

umdemelo Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Charm City
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree in a situation like that it's useless.

11. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Who the hell goes on twitter to pick up chicks?? I see the occasional flirting, but thats beyond pathetic.

IMO, I think twitter is good for a networking stand point. I use it to stay in touch with fellow co-workers and such, but I understand your point. The problem I have is people like Perez Hilton are scum bags because he trashes them on his blog, then has a convo with them on twitter like they're friends.

Use it at your own discretion -- its useful.

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I never said my friends had it to pick up chicks I said NONE of my friends EXCEPT a couple of 18-19 year old girls I know have it, mostly to suck up to Celebrities.

13. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    True. But I don't mind twitter, I think its convenient. MySpace is a thing of the past, a FB is good, but way to intrusive.

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  15. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I met Quentin Tarantino while at a film screening last year via twitter info.(No, I don't work for the paparazzi).

[​IMG]

Hope to see him next month when I leave for L.A.

16. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Which one are you?

17. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He's the one on the left of your screen.

18. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Facebook and Twitter are the tools of the governemnt

they use it to track you down, keep your information

i had mine permanently deleted.

they sell ur info to corporations, and the US governemnt spies on it. Ok maybe you will say you dont have anything to hide, but it doesnt matter its the principle of it. you may not have something to hide but this will just lead to fiurther and further violations of human privacy. its like Big Brother straight out of George Orwell's 1984 novel.

before you know it privacy will be completely dead. and with it freedom and liberty.

F*CK the NEW WORLD ORDER.

19. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  20. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Did you see what John McCain twitted to Snooki(Jersey Shore)?

Here:
    Thank gawd this guy isn't in office:rolleyes:

Z-Man, I know what you mean. F*CK Justin Bieber! I'm ashamed he's from Toronto. I'd like to kick his puny ass and feed him to chop shop in Dundas.

Frank is a cool guy! He reps Jersey city like the situation reps his abs.... the dude is a legend!

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  22. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo's is fake, hence the lacking of a verification sticker.

Besides, are we really believing that Ronaldo would take sponsorship from WorldSoccerShop when he has Nike endorsing him? On top of the fact that WorldSoccerShop is a nobody in Europe, Nike's contract would prevent him from having any affiliation with WSS.

23. abnormal

abnormal Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That other Ronaldo account= fake

http://twitter.com/Cristiano This one is a verified account, just started recently- already an appearance by Ochocinco (who apparently is celebstalking a bunch of World Cup stars on twitter)

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That guy is a fame whore. But, yeah, thats his official account and it is verified.