Kik Pierie at Excelsior (olf Ajax)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2014.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Pierie starts today for Twente at Groningen, Twente already up 0-2 after 22'.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Groningen pulls one back, just after HT, now 1-2.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Finished Groningen 2-2 Twente - an unsatisfying result for Twente, obviously. Pierie played from start to finish.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I watched this game this morning to watch Kik play. He is ok, still a young player. He is good with the ball and stepping into midfield to win the ball. He will pass through lines and is graceful and smooth with the ball at his left foot.

He was clearly beaten on the second goal when his man ran onto a cross in front of him. Wasn’t blameless on the first, either. Not imposing physically, and struggled on one or two plays when real defensive actions were required.

Hopefully he gets bigger and grows with experience. God knows we could use left footed center backs who can play left back in a pinch.

m vann, Eleven Bravo and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]starts

edcrocker and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. Watched the match and it was an uneventfull match. Not much difficulties to solve for Kik. He had one vital block for a shot at the goal though.
    He played well in a match fc Twente dominated for most of the time. In about (my visual observation, not scientifical) 60% of the cases fc Twente won back the ball within 5-15 seconds.

Rahbiefowlah, edcrocker and EXALIFTIN repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I caught about 30 minutes in between other games. Pierie’s man scored the first after the keeper parried a cross in his path, and Kik was very easily pulled out of position on the second.

Same kind of thing, pretty good on the ball, looks to initiate the attack with his passing, some good positives there. Focus and positional awareness in defending not yet a strength.

largegarlic and edcrocker repped this.
  12. [​IMG]
    Donyell Malen ontsnapt aan een tackle van Kik Pierie. © Pro Shots / Thomas Bakker

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Seems a likeable kid.

he’s seeing the light that his international future isn’t with the oranje. The twente loan seems to be working out ok. Would like him to be in the March camp.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sort of seems like it. And that would be fantastic news for us... for both left back and center back (note that we don’t have many great young center backs). Also, he has been doing incredibly well in the Eredivisie. He would be a major asset.

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is becoming an almost expected occurrence.

19. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I don’t keep up with their national team much, but are they really that deep at center back? At 20, he’s still very young for that position, and it seems difficult to say what his ceiling is right now.

with the US, he’s not passing brooks before brooks ages out, and McKenzie is a pretty good left-footed center back as well. I’d love to have Pierie, but more for depth and competition purposes, as I don’t think he’s even a lock for the 23.

If I’m him and I really want to play for them, I wait 2-3 more years to see what things look like then.

20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Hard to guess what things look in 2-3 years, but talking of the late 2022 him going to Qatar is the thing.

21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s very possible that he waits for them...

But 2 things:

#1 He should be a lock for our 23. Just for the fact that he’s an adequate left back and center back. From a roster flexibility situation, that would allow us to bring one extra midfielder or forward if we needed. He should walk into the left back spot - either as the starter or sub. And he’s arguably having the best year for a center back in our playing pool outside of John Brooks... he’s winning team of the week honors regularly now. I’d be shocked if Ajax didn’t pick him back up.

#2 Holland is stacked at center back and it would be hell to crack through. Let’s remember that they have the two best defenders in the world: Van Dijk and de Ligt. Yes, Van Dijk is old and injured now -
    but Botman is a damn good defender, and the same age as Pierie. Then, once you get past them, there’s a very good class of veteran center backs: De Vrij, Van Dijk, Ake, Blind, and Veltman. After them, the next generation of Fosu-Mensah (RB, CDM), Teze, Hoogma, Schuurs, Timber. There’s still Knoester, Obispo, Bazoer, Pinas, Van Hecke, Hendriks, and Doeki. And they have Rensch and Bogarde rising up the ranks. So, Pierie faces tough competition. And he runs into similar problems at left back. In reality, he’s going to have to get back into Ajax’s first team, start, and be a key player, to get into the rotation. Is that possible? Sure. But that’s not happening today or tomorrow.

22. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    H
    Thanks, but I strongly disagree on him being any sort of lock for the 23. At LCB, brooks has the starting role pretty much locked up for the next two years. It would seem to me that Pierie is in contention with McKenzie for the backup spot, and I would say they both have a good shot. Pierie’s ability to play left back is very helpful, but I wouldn’t want to have only one backup combined at LB and LCB, so he would most likely be in contention for the backup LB spot if we take 4 other CBs as well. I would personally only want to take him for that if he is better at LB than everyone else but Robinson, which is possible, but not certain.

I think a lot depends on which is more important to him, a chance to play early, or a chance to play for the Dutch. If he commits to the US and shows moderate development over his career, I think it’s safe to believe that he could be an improved Tim Ream (who has 41 caps), but I would not say he’s a lock to be called in for major tournaments in case he becomes a good starter for an above average team in a top league, like brooks. And if he reaches that level, he will be getting called into the Netherlands (though perhaps not for major tournaments).

I would love to have Pierie as brooks could get injured, and competition will be very useful for everyone, but thankfully we are getting to a place where we don’t need to take drastic measures to lock up dual nationals. Even Musah, who would be a huge pickup, isn’t a lock for the starting 11.

frankburgers repped this.
  23. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New to this conversation. What is the drastic measure you reference being considered to kick up this player?

24. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I’m not saying that berhalter is using drastic measures to recruit him, I was more referring to Klinsmann’s recruitment of the German Americans, who he gave easier paths to playing time to. And I don’t think Klinsmann was wrong given the state of the talent pool at the time. But I think Berhalter can simply let guys like Musah, Alvarez, and possibly Pierie come into camp to see what the atmosphere is like and where they might fit in, and let them decide. We will be okay without any one player, and giving guys undeserved playing time would/will piss off very talented players in the squad.

largegarlic repped this.
  25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough... we all have our convictions. I mean, I could be hyping him up, he commits and he turns out to be a dud at the international level. Or, he could be a hit. I predict that he’s going to do well - but that’s just my prediction. And I really like him for that back up left back spot. Essentially, he kicks Vines off the roster, although Vines could prove to keep his spot.

theboogeyman repped this.