Twelve years of bad soccer.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tsoccer, Aug 25, 2007.

1. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    And based on the current play of the team I sadly see it straining to get 12 points out of those 8 games. Seeing as how they will probably finish in the bottom half of the playoff draw, a quick exit looks to be on the horizon.

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Clint mathis (part one). Lothar Mattheus.

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I'm speechless.

oops. I get it. Sorry.

4. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buck up, brother! This is our year.

5. smurgai

smurgai Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Raleigh
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude - I understand the own goal was bad, too much pace on the pass, Mr pants judging it wrong, whatever, this stuff happens (maybe not like this, but you win some and you loose some). We are not going down cuz we had a couple of bad games. Angel and Joze still played well. We kept Shalari (sp) at bay most of the game. . we had shots on the goal, we controlled the ball a lot more than the revs I think. .

We are doing a lot better than we have done in the past few years. . . don't give up hope yet.

We will make it to the playoffs and we will put a good fight for the cup. . Its not over till its over. .

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JPP?, Rico? Howard?

7. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pathetic. Not the team, but some of the "fans".

A week ago, we were swimming in threads about the best game in MLS history. Now, we've thrown everything away and have had 12 years of bad soccer.

Well, I've had a few years of some of the best times in my life as a Metro/Red Bull fan. I've enjoyed just about every game I've been to, regardless of outcome. Sure, there have been some disappointments, but they make the victories all the better.

I'm really sorry for anyone who holds the team up to super-hero status, looking for their own self value via association with a sports team. Unfortunately, I think that happens all too much on these boards.

8. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Forget it, he's rolling...

9. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right! Let me recommend this book, as it documents exactly what you're talking about:

[​IMG]

After I read it, I really, really felt sorry for the author.

Me too!

10. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an excellent post.
    Mediocrity rules and we'd best get used to it, fellas and gals. Not much is going to change as long as ours is the number five sport in a four-sport country. There's precious little to drive it forward.

11. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: After 12 seasons of following this team, don't you think that most of us are used to it already??? :( Lucky are the ones that have followed this team for only a short time. Those people might believe there is still hope.

Just kidding! Of course there's hope! Mediocrity, shmidiocrity - we're going to win it all this year!

COME ON RED BULL...
    COME ON RED BULL...
    COME ON RED BULL, COME ON RED BULL...

12. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

13. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank ********ing god.

I was beginning to wonder.

14. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

May 14, 2007
    Edison, NJ
    I apologize for my earlier post; of course message boards are for complaints and such, I should have realized that at the time.

All the same, my (hopefully clearer) point is that this isn't some lost cause like LA or Real Salt Lake. The team as of right now is going to the playoffs and I don't think the teams ahead of the Red Bulls (DC, New England, Houston, Chivas USA, FC Dallas) would take these guys lightly. Yes, there are problems - what team doesn't - but there is a hell of a lot of games left for a lot to happen. Yes, it's possible the Red Bulls could crash out of the playoffs altogether - just as it's possible that the Red Bulls will thrive and get real close to a top 4 position or the Red Bulls get real hot going into the playoffs (with a final 4 games of RSL at home, @ Toronto FC, KC Wizards at home, and @ LA Galaxy, it's entirely possible). Things are far from over and I know after two losses to two big rivals, the feeling is horrible; but the Red Bulls are nobody's doormats, unlike, say, LA. Despite a crap-tastic July, the team is still in the running to make some noise; hence, I am confused by the uproar and vitrol. Maybe in October, sure, but not now. It's too soon, I think.

15. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    Optimizer makes a good point. In each of the last two seasons, RB/Metro has come on strong at the end to grab a playoff spot on the last day of the season, and has played surprisingly well in the first round of the playoffs, holding their own until late in the second match against--I hate to say it--superior opposition.

We're better this year than in either of the previous two years, and if we can put together a late surge, the gap in quality between RBNY and NE or DCU has narrowed to the degree that a RB team playing well could definitely surprise either one of them.

16. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, there's no crying in Double Secret Probation :D

17. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England have been a pain in everyone's ass for, like, seven years now. What can you do?

18. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In order :

Wrong - KC collapsed both years. Especially 2005. RB/Metro was mediocre as usual.

Not from what I have seen this year over two legs or in their place.

19. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    I have to disagree (but I would, wouldn't I?). RBNY won when they had to in each of the last two years. Had KC been just a little better, would we have still qualified for the playoffs? Nope, but RB/Metro still won the games to get their foot in the door.

The Red Bulls are a team with as many or more problems than everybody else in the league. But we can also play JPA and Jozy up front, and if Mathis can rise to the occasion (he did for Colorado in the first round last year)...

... well, maybe I'm just prone to getting my hopes up. But I'll believe that they can pull the upset off, until they show they can't. :)

20. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Amen to that. I've been far more disappointed by the supporters than I have the team over the past dozen years.