Twellman: OUT FOR THE SEASON?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by onefineesq, Oct 9, 2003.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. My sympathy to TT and Revs fans.

I better get him off my fantasy team. :(

3. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I might have missed it, but did they say how or when this happened?

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have no idea how it happened. I wish i did. although i'm not a doctor, i DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express lately, and know that stress fractures don't require a hard knock of any sort. well, i'm not happy to see any player injured, but the dynamics of Columbus/DC/New England for the last playoff position have certainly changed.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hopin' the DragonTurf in Dallas didn't have anything to do with it.

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had 3 stress farctures.

Typically, they are a hairline fracture running the length of the bone. They are often hard to diagnose because they do not always show up on x-rays because the fracture lines are so thin.

They pain is not overwhelming until something breaks - so often you can ignore it, play through until something breaks. Which is what happened to me in college. Then it takes much longer to heal than getting it diagnosed early and staying off it for 4 weeks or so.

That's what I know. Or I think I know.

Bad news for Revs fans and people who like goals.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, i guess it would be prudent to be checking the Crew and Revs boards. I'm sure that they will have quite contrasting ideas on the timeliness of this news as it relates to their squads. this might also mean that the rumored US friendly in December is offlimits to TT as well?!

8. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article didn't say but it looks like it happened in Dallas on Sunday. He came out of the game around the 70 minute mark IIRC, limped to the bench and put a huge bag of ice on his foot. At the time I thought he tweaked something just after Noonan's goal but the announcers seemed to think it happened after Twellman's first goal. I don't know if the turf would've had anything to do with it but it looks like it happened there. Of course as Northside pointed out he could of fractured it earlier and the game was just the final straw.

9. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Northside Rovers: That sounds like me in high school. I fractured my foot (4th metatarsel) for the first time playing indoor soccer on astroturf, which I had casted for three weeks. I still had a lot of pain, and fractured my foot a second time at Indiana Univ. soccer camp when our group practiced on the football stadium astroturf because it had rained.

However, rather than miss my senior year of high school soccer, I played the entire season with the fracture. When the season ended, the fracture had grown to almost a complete break, and the edges had rounded off. I had two choices: Surgery to pack the fracture with hip bone, or a new magnetic coil therapy (first used on Michael Jordan for one of his fractures!) that put a very powerful magnetic around my cast for 4 months. The theory is (don't quote me on this, I'm not a doctro) that it attracts calcium to the site and opens up the blood vessels to allow the healing process to accelerate. After 4 months, my foot was as good as new.

Fake grass, no matter whether it is astroturf, safeplay or field turf, sucks...

10. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did. Hard to blame it totally on the turf since stress fractures can occur on natural grass as well.

The fracture happened when he landed on his left foot after scoring his first goal agains Dallas last weekend. He immediately went to the bench with a pained look on his face - it was really weird to see this reaction after he scored, actually. He stayed in the game and even scored a second goal.

11. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't going to participate anyway since he's getting married around this time, but he was penciled in for the camp in January prior to the first qualifier. This may be in some doubt now depending on how quickly he is training again. From what I have witnessed, he heals fast. My guess is that he starts running on it again by Thanksgiving.

12. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Given how injuries have happened to some other players at key times, it probably involved walking the dog or dropping a can of shaving cream on his foot. :)

13. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Exactly. Cuz without him the Revs get none. =-)

14. Scorcho

Scorcho New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Portland, ME
    Revs offense is just fine

I think you're confusing Twellman and the Revs with Ruiz and the Galaxy.

Twellman=15 goals Rest of Revs=32 goals
    Ruiz=14 goals Rest of Galaxy=16 goals

Take into account that SIX!! of Ruiz's 14 goals were penalties, and you have one sorry looking LA team.

As for the Revs, their success for the rest of the season will depend on their defense. If it holds, their offense will be more than sufficient, even without TnT.

15. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    from today's herald

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, like the time when Twellman was injured and the rest of the Revs managed to put 5 of them past that fat-assed, um, I mean big-boned keeper of yours...

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious -- How Chris Brown's health these days?

18. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003