Twellman: MLS and Altidore in discussions.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FoxBoro 143, Jan 7, 2015.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Every time MLS deals with a new high-profile player, it looks like a bigger joke.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many players have come into MLS via the SUM sale proceeds? I think it's just Bradley, Defoe, and Dempsey.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dempsey was the only one of those three who were interested in the league as a whole. TFC went out and got Bradley and Defoe on their own, right?

Point being, at the time, Clint was sui generis. (I think.) If Jozy is "traded" for Defoe, Clint remains that.

But as many have pointed out, MLS needs to simplify the rules. My opinion is just that there are too damn many categories of players and acquisitions.

3. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... And that is the 5 million dollar question.

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The confusing part was that Jones was "willing" to take less money to come to Chicago. When his family lived in LA, there was really no reason for him to take a paycut to come to Chicago. No one is taking a 200k paycut because his flight home is an extra 1 hour and a quarter each way.

Honestly, who takes a paycut. The only reason is if he made a buttload of money in Germany/his wife made a buttload of money. He has 5 kids and he lives in LA. No one is that stupid.

My theory (which some Fire fans agree to) is that our owner was unwilling to pay X amount for Jones, so the league made a face-saving measure after he could not agree to a deal after a month.

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It wasn't the travel distance it was the work conditions. NE has turf but Jones was OK with that if a little extra money was thrown in.

6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one shocked that there are TWO teams willing to pay $5m a year to Jozy? I mean, good for him, but that seems insane to me based on his career of work.

Jsean, dashiel, onefineesq and 6 others repped this.
  7. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still really disappointed about the lack of scrutiny the league got with the DMB to Houston deal. Over on they Dynamo board, our fans were apoplectic that we had to give up Warren Creavalle (not a world class player, but versatile, young, and cheap) to get a top allocation spot from, of all teams, TFC. He's not nearly as high profile as Dempsey or Bradley, but he is a DP. Just ridiculous.

8. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What are you basing this on?

If the players are successful, the TFC fanbase will appreciate them just fine. It doesn't matter if they're American, Canadian, Brazilian, English, Scottish, Ghanaian, Nigerian or whatever. Toronto fans just want to see success, and will be extremely appreciative of any players that help bring that to them.

crazypete13 repped this.
  9. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    you want more transparency and fairness?
    but you're ok with treating Canadian teams like 2nd class citizens?

just how much more benefit would there be if Bradley/Jozy signed for a small market US team vs signing for a Canadian team?

Jsean repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He scored better than 1 in 2 in the Eredivisie, a better league than MLS.

Somewhere along the line, Jozy became very underrated by a certain class of fans.

11. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The argument for US players not going to play for Canada is dumb. There are only 3 Canadian teams, they will be playing almost half of their games in the US. People who will come too see them because of their name will still see them, even if they play for another team.

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

13. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #163 SoCalYid, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    They have more talent but defensively it's no better than MLS top to bottom and it's not as physical. I don't hold MLS defenders in high regard but watching Dutch defending sometimes is comical. It's not that they don't have talented defenders, they do, but tactically in the Netherlands there's a far more open style, for player like Jozy who's athletic and physical he can take advantage of this. MLS clubs are more willing to throw players behind the ball and defend in numbers, even some of the top teams like Seattle got to a semi-final playing this way.

BS is the only place I've seen where people would suggest Jozy is something other than he is to the eye. That's a far more exclusive club than the ones who just think he's overrated. To everyone else he's your typical Dutch league flop. For every Suarez, Bony or Ronaldo there's 2 or 3 players like Kezman, Afonso Alves, Bas Dost, El Hamdaoui, Vleminckx, Finnbogason and now Altidore. So yeah it does look a little silly that two teams are looking to pay him $5m, earning more than players like Keane or formerly Henry.

Saying that I think he'll do fine, If they build a team around him he'll score goals.

pichichi2010 and mbar repped this.
  14. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I looked at it that the owners of the clubs said "we don't think allocating players of a certain stature the way we are doing it now is fair" at the last BOG meeting. So the rules were changed in the offseason so that they would be fair, particularly if the league was going to be aggressive about signing these sorts of players (and we are looking at 3 USMNT signings just right now). It just happens that TFC ends up being the beneficiary of the new "fairer" rule. Course that is me looking at this through non-conspiratorial glasses.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's fair that Lampard can choose NYCFC, Villa can choose NYCFC, Kaka can choose Orlando and Gerrard can choose LAG, all recently, yet Jozy is subjected to an allocation order because he happens to be American, despite Clint being American and bypassing allocation.

If MLS wants fair, scrap the rule altogether.

16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They still won't make the playoffs. MLS desperately wants Toronto to succeed. Lack of transparency and MLS playing favorites pisses people off and doesn't help their image. So much fuel to the fire for those who already shun MLS.

17. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Or, to be more exact, to the parent company that promised to assign his contract rights to MLS . . . eventually.

I'd love to see the parent of Red Bull jump outside the MLS process and sign Jozy to a pre-contract that allows RB to allocate him to NY, Salzburg or Leipzig. With that contact, they call a press conference, state they'll have him in New York for the start of the MLS season, and they tell MLS to screw it's allocation order citing the "Lampard exception."

redinthemorning and looknohands repped this.
  18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I was hoping AEG would do that with Hammarby, but sadly it looks like the Galaxy are out of DP slots, for now.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Seeing as Altidore signed a 4 year deal in 2013.... He can't sign a pre-contract until January 2017.

Otherwise...good plan.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull International (what ever they are called) could buy his card and sign him to a new contract.

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    So Red Bull are going to buy him and then assign him to their NJ branch?

What about if Toronto/MLS and them get into a bidding war? Reports have already indicated that Red Bull don't want to spend the money on him.

Otherwise - Good plan....

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Don't worry, Jurgen. At least he's not coming back to the USA.

24. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
  25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    who cares. We don't have to watch Sunderland any longer.

And Jozy outproduces Defoe in Toronto. Who is better?