Twellman is taking no prisoners

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Bruce S, Sep 8, 2002.

1. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you are quibbling. I see no significant difference in the two wordings.

That said, you think Moreno overreacted? Fine - that delineates where the difference of opinion is here quite succinctly :thumbsup:

2. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

The whiners side with Moreno.

3. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And douches side with Twellman! Glad to know we have that sorted out :cautious:

Justin Z repped this.
  4. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN just needs to swallow their pride and bring back the legend that was Jack Edwards. Heh. Or the Dave O'Brien and Balboa pairing. That was something special. Or imagine Edwards paired with Harkes...

In all seriousness, I'm not the biggest Twellman fan but he's such an improvement over Harkes and Balboa that i'm willing to look at the bright side.

For some reason ESPN loves color commentators that voice their opinion as fact without a lot of evidence to support it. Someone like Brian McBride for FSC would be ideal to compliment Darke imo but ESPN would find someone like McBride too soft-spoken and logical for the position. Kind of like a US version of Shane McManamon, or how Moreno was before he pulled a 180 for the US/Mexico game.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    LOL. Best sentence I've seen yet in thread.

Not hard to be a step up when following those clowns.

6. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong again . . . they side with Harkes or haven't you been paying attention?

7. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is uncomfortable silence becasue Moreno has no sense of timing in the booth. He cuts off points with decalrative sentences that don't allow for any kind of follow up. No flow.. Just 5 seconds of 'topic reset'. Twellman guilty of this also to a lesser extent. I hate 3 man booths.

Worst example:
    Darke: "The referee and the linesman are brothers..."
    Moreno: "Actually, step brothers"
    [crickets]

I also wasnt sure if Moreno was trying to combat Twellman's homerism with a Mexican viewpoint (Yes, I know he's Venezuelan. Thanks though.) A little sloppy. They never let the game breathe.

Twellman is kind of a jerkonce in a while on the podcast. I think hes one of those people who say insulting things that are acutally meant as a friendly jokes, but the tone sounds dick-ish

bigredfutbol, ImaPuppy and orcrist repped this.
  8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    TT didn't exactly distinguish himself as a player either. His whiny, victim act, after he got the contract he whined for from the Revs, when Preston came calling was incredibly dickish.

9. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And your siding with the passive-aggressive stupidity that is Twellman. The Costa Rica match was the worst example. There were people watching with me who don't follow soccer closely and they were asking why he was being such a jerk. Just because you can handle his tendencies - being overly smug, confrontational, and cynical - does not mean it's good for the sport or future audiences. It's great you don't think it's a big deal, but you are clearly not willing to even consider that he's been pretty bad in the last few games.

Justin Z repped this.
  10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the step brother thing was a joke b/c the center ref ignored his bro waving his flag for a penalty call.

Your last part may be closer to the truth--maybe he just can't be sarcastic/joking w/o sounding like a jerk. Except his initial broadcasts he didn't sound so jerk-ish so if this is his "I'm comfortable now" tone, he needs to go back to being nervous.

Neuwerld and neems repped this.
  11. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Of course Darke seems to consistently be a homer for whichever team the US happens to be playing. He was particularly insufferable during the Russia match.

12. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN intentionally avoids good announcers to the point where they went and got Moreno (who apparently used to be good) and demanded he be stupid? Is that what I just read?

This thread is all kinds of ridiculous. But don't bother asking me for examples. I act out of pure emotion and have friends somewhere who agree with me so I'm right.

13. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Soccer is best enjoyed with the mute button activated ! :)
    Who really wants to listen to these people anyway.

14. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    My thoughts exactly. Let me know when someone worth listening to gets on air.

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I would love a "crowd noise only" button on my remote. Watching a game on mute feels strange.

HouseHead78, Cowtown Felipe and ant0n repped this.
  16. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. Likes should be decided by logic. Whoever heard of deciding what you like based on emotion? :laugh:

17. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I literally have no idea what this means in response to what I wrote. Did you quote the wrong post?

18. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    There you go !!!

HouseHead78 repped this.
  19. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't have much of an opinion either way. I think Twellman is a capable color commentator, even though he can be a bit annoying at times. For anyone who watches College Basketball he reminds me of Doug Gottlieb.

20. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem to be upset that people's dislike of Twellman as an announcer cannot be reduced to a logical proof.

21. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Taylor is there to bring us the BigHeaded Man's viewpoint?

22. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda. What I mean by that is that he's kinda arrogant, opinionated and smug but I still think he does okay as the color guy, which is exactly how I feel about Doug Gottlieb. Again I don't really care, if he gets fired I wont be crying or celebrating

ScrappytheSeal4 repped this.
  23. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch on UniMas for that reason. If you don't understand Spanish it's just emotional noise without annoying comments.

24. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am upset that people cannot provide an example of the nonstop whining Twellman provides. No "logical proofs" necessary; hit me with an example. Every highlight video has him providing analysis and having a good time with Darke. So, I want to know what I'm missing.

25. Mestes

Mestes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I originally watched the Spanish language broadcast so this thread offered me a perfect opportunity to re-watch from a different perspective. I didn't hear any insults or whining from Twellman, and I was listening for it. He does have a breathless dogmatism I found irritating, but the words themselves were inoffensive.
    So yeah, I can understand why some people find him hard to listen to, but he didn't say anything I found offensive.

ScrappytheSeal4 repped this.