Twellman is taking no prisoners

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Bruce S, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He really has started to think his shit doesn't stink and he doesn't always seem to backup his statements with actual analysis.

He's still better than Balboa and Harkes, though that bar was set pretty low, but he has certainly lost the likability factor he had when he first got behind the mic.

Tom Collingsworth and ImaPuppy repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This thread has made me feel old. AL & TT are tame when compared to the analysts in other countries, where they even fight on TV (and I don't mean verbal fights).

[​IMG]

3. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow

How incredibly shocking that an American whines and complains about announcing

That's the first time that this has ever happened in the last five minutes

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Well, when the complaints are valid, what exactly do you expect?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your opinion does not equate to fact.

When asked to present examples . . . you did nothing . . . translation, not validated

Irony, ladies and gentlemen.

6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm not going through a game to bookmark clips for someone just because they disagree with my opinion (which has been backed by multiple people on this thread btw). I don't care to do so. If he wants to go find examples of what I or others have talked about, he is free to do so but I'm not going to hold his or your hand through it. Valid in the context I've written it equates to reasonable, not validated by me having to go through and point out specific examples to those who aren't paying attention or disagree. If you disagree, that's fine, I have no qualms with that. However, you're the one defending your opposing view weakly.

I've seen you post in threads concerning commentating and all you seem to do is defend all of them to the death. You believe I have my agenda, and you certainly have one of your own.

Also, I'm not sure you've ever constructively added to a single conversation on these boards since I've been reading them...so I consider your opinion entirely unimportant and irrelevant.

7. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL

Too bad you can't recall what Twellman said that is so bad but can give examples of your opinions of my posts.

And the reason I defend announcers is that most of the "complaints" are nothing more than whining backed up by other whiners.

Anyone you name as a replacement for an announcer will have ten times the amount complaining about the replacement than supporting him.

It never ends.

And good job resurrecting a thread that has nothing to do with announcing. Can't start your own thread?

8. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the thing. Lots of people have confirmed his impression. Why won't any of us try to find examples? Because he annoyed us *that* much.
    You don't agree? No sweat. It's obviously a very subjective thing... but informally, so far, the consensus seems to be with this opinion.
    But, to each his/her/its own :whistling:

9. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scrappy wasn't asking for a clip, he was asking for an example to which he replied "too many to count".

He digs up a decade old thread because he is so upset about a particular announcer but can't point to a comment or a phrase that upset him so much?

10. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Twellman does have a tendancy to talk over the other announcer when he's adament about something, which is how he seems to feel about most of his opinions. That said, Ian Darke seems like a grown up who can handle an opinionated ex-jock. I prefer Twellman to Harkes, who was the last ex-US player to compliment Darke. Personally I don't much care for announcers who are overly critical, like Harkes. I'd had enough "lazy Jozy" and "Dempsey needs to keep it simple" rants by the time Harkes had left. I mean I get it. Harkes played simple balls and ran all over the pitch when he played. Had he the talent of either Jozy or Clint he might have approched the game differently.

In any case, I'd love to see Donovan in that role ten years from now. He seems like someone who would have a lot of US soccer insight without the huge ego that detracts in guys like Twellman, Wynalda or Harkes. He also isn't as likely to be the kind of ridiculous homer that Lalas and Balboa are/were.

11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember how horrible Bob Ley was (is) and then ESPN decided to go with this guy named Ian Darke.

I have no complaints about Ian Darke at all. In fact, if Twellman keeps this crap up, the only announcing he'll be doing is through the drive-up speaker at McDonalds.

12. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...I just...it's like you...hold on. Let me try flipping this on you so you can see what I'm having to respond to....

*pretend this is my response*
    Well, I woke up to "this many people" agreeing with me, and when I watched the game there were "too many instances to count" of Twellman and Darke having jolly good time together. Looks like I'm clearly right, and if you disagree with me that's fine. But I'm obviously right because a couple of people on the internet see that I'm right and in my head I just KNOW that Twellman is a good analyst even though I can't provide you with a single shred of evidence with 2 hours of game at my disposal.

*end scene*

Is that helpful? Something tells me you still won't get my point.

13. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this were the case, then why wouldn't you just mute the game?

14. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian Darke is fine, and a muted game is creepy, and the game is interesting enough to power through. It's like a good dish with something unpleasant in it. You might be hungry enough to power through, but you don't want to order it again.

15. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What it sounds like you're describing is a second announcer you don't like; not one that annoys you *that* much.

And I agree a muted game on with nothing else would be awful, but you could put on your own background noise

win-win

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The mexican announcer was far better. taylor is a joke.

17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    At least twellman isent as bad as harkes on the jones vs. Bradley issue. It got annoying hearing harkes say how a 5-yard back pass from jones was horrible for the team and is a horrible player and a backpass from bradley was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    At least twellman isent as bad as harkes on the jones vs. Bradley issue. It got annoying hearing harkes say how a 5-yard back pass from jones was horrible for the team and is a horrible player and a backpass from bradley was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

19. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember specifically, but there was really uncalled for dig Twellman said to Moreno. It was so bad that Moreno called him out on it live. I remember just shaking my head in embarrassment for everyone involved.

20. TroyandAbed

TroyandAbed Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Who was that guy that was ADAMANT that there was NO WAY we would make it out of our group in '02, so Arena needed to essentially take a U-23 team to get them experience so we could do well in '06? That guy was terrible.

RE: Twellman being insufferable. Someone complained that he was cynical. I have no problem with cynical. The thing that irritates the ever-loving-crap out of me about Twellman is this: He is one of those people who makes the most mundane and obvious conclusions using tone, word choice, and general hyperbole, that makes me think that he believes he arrived at said conclusions by using advanced reasoning and deductive powers. I find myself constantly thinking (and often saying) Dude, SHUT UP ALREADY!!!

Beirut repped this.
  21. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you're over-analyzing this. And I say that as someone who is constantly accused of over-analyzing things. :cool:

22. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    something along the lines of "that was clearly a dive. alejandro, you should know."

ImaPuppy, orcrist and neems repped this.
  23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    LOL.

I can honestly say I don't remember anything that was said.

I was to interested in the game to care about any clown in the booth.

As long as Seamus Malin is dead and buried I am happy.

24. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it very telling that three people repped a post in this thread that is wrong.

"That would be a tough penalty call if you ask me"
    "Shocked you find that a forward falling over is a foul" When Moreno replied with "Well, that was a low blow", I felt he over reacted in a sensitive way. Don't forget that Moreno himself admitted during the broadcast that he was known to embellish.
    Later, when Moreno was pointing out Bradley's push of Hernandez
    "Yeah but this is at slow-mo right now. The referee is seeing that at full speed"
    "No penalty for me"

Still not sure what everybody is complaining about

25. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Clearly not. It isn't just what is said but his tone that makes the difference.