Twellman is taking no prisoners

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Bruce S, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I don't totally disagree. I am excited about those guys but they should get the call when they can produce big in MLS. As for Buddle, I like him so I say call him too!
    The comparison with Lassiter is unfair. First of all, MLS was a MUCH weaker league when he was scoring a lot. Second, the amazing thing about TT is his efficiency. The sucker doesn't miss many chances. Lassiter was a 1 trick pony and needed many chances per goal. Lassiter needed through balls or you get nothing. TT is good on through balls, good on crosses , good shooting in front of the defense. I think he is closer to Joe-Max or Mathis in his game and more like Joe-Max in his attitude.

2. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Now he's taking no prisoners in the booth...someone put me out of my misery!

edit: epic bump.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean you don't dig on the terrific crossfire between Lalas and Twellman!

ImaPuppy repped this.
  4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He went from only mildly annoying to a sarcastic, smug twat in the span of like 2 months. Unbearable at this point. He essentially insults Darke. I feel bad for the old man.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does that in real life too.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  6. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is far from a bump. You have exhumed a corpse. You have disturbed the peace of the dead. May Raptor Jesus have mercy on your soul.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is easter weekend.

May Twellman rise........

8. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might write a letter complaining to ESPN. It's not usually my style, but Twellman has to go! At least Wynalda used to hit kids in the face with a ball (poor Australia):

9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will have to say it was really interesting reading posts from 2002.

"I hope Twellman takes McBride's spot in 2006."

10. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

It's impressive that eleven-year-old threads are still around to bump.

OWN(yewu)ED, Sandon Mibut and ImaPuppy repped this.
  11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, do you think we should start Gaetjens in the June Qualifiers?

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yes it is.

You're not going to find many older than this, since "The Great BigSoccer Crash of 2002" wiped out everything from the very beginning up through the summer of that year (including everything from our great 2002 World Cup quarter-final run :( ).

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is 11 years old, Goodness.

14. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When? And how does he insult him? The two clearly have good chemistry from where I'm sitting.

And if that's how you describe Twellman, then do you even have words for Wynalda?

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I liked him as a player (hence starting this thread), but can't stomach him as an announcer.

Tom Collingsworth, orcrist and ImaPuppy repped this.
  16. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Could someone give me an example? I see this tossed around like Altidore's poor work ethic, but I don't know what you're referring to. Is this a case of you disagreeing with him once and assuming he's an imbecile much like most of you do with people on this board?

17. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah really ticks me off I can't bump the original one of these...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/the-princess-bride-usmnt-thread-the-sequel.356108/

But this 2006 version has to do...

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    People aren't responding for 2 reasons:

1. Its so obvious
    2. There are too many examples

Just pay attention to the guy's content and tone recently. He's become cynical, sarcastic, aggressive, and a jerk. He had these awful little passive-aggressive dick measuring contests with Moreno during the Mexico game and neither of them would just let the game breathe. After they were done, instead of it being a pleasant silence, it was uncomfortable. He's simply unprofessional.

As for how I'd describe Wynalda...I'd say he's sometimes misguided, but he's mostly just brutally honest. I actually like him.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  19. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize the ENTIRE game is still available on espn3.com, right? If there are "too many examples", find me one. Find me two. Show me what's "so obvious." Apparently I'm lofting you a softball here, so go ahead and knock it out of the park for me.

I just watched the highlights again to see if I missed anything, and no it's not a great sample size, but it's nothing like what you and a couple of others seem to think it is.

And you think Twellman is whiny but Wynalda is brutally honest? I don't know why one gets the benefit of the doubt while the other doesn't.

20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Are you seriously asking me to go through the game, and find specific things that Twellman says to appease you? I've already given you my opinion on it and what to listen for, its up to you to find it if you want.

If you can't tell the differences between Twellman and Wynalda's commentary, then I'm sorry about that too but I'm not going to go through videos and find examples of that either.

You either see the differences, or you don't.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ImaPuppy, just how did you find this thread? Dude, you need a hobby.:D

I agree though, Twellman has acted arrogantly and condescending lately and does come across as unprofessional. Not sure where his arrogance comes from. He wasn't that good. And I say that referring to a world wide scale. Maca is much more accomplished as a striker yet never comes across half as arrogantly as Twellman. Maca and Darke work well. I actually can't remember a snide remark by Maca towards Darke, yet Twellman does it multiple times per half.

22. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm just calling your bluff about there being too many instances to count.

23. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman sucks. He's like one of those throwball players in high school who thinks he's all that and just makes you want to punch him. Then you find out he's just a little bitch.

24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Tell you what, I'll make a compilation just for you with analysis. :rolleyes:

Do you really think this many people are agreeing with me and echoing my statements with no evidence? Is this just group-think? If you disagree, that's fine...but there's a reason I bumped this thread, and there's a reason people clearly agree with me.

I just looked for the oldest Twellman thread I could find, and this one seemed bump-worthy. :D

25. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Let me add one more thing. When Twellman was one of the first of the "new guard" getting into commentating, I was really excited his first couple games because he brought a reasonable and knowledgeable opinion to the table. I made a post about it at the time and was very complimentary. I bring this up because you likely think I have some sort of vendetta against the guy but that simply isn't true. However, he's transitioned from the commentator I've described in this post, to the commentator I described when I bumped this thread. There is no bluff, the "chemistry" that used to exist between Twellman and Darke is being tested from my view (and apparently the view of others, except for you) and there is too much uncomfortable dead air going on in the last few games they've covered.

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.