Twellman is taking no prisoners

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Bruce S, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Klose is an interesting example -- he looks awfully good against competition that can't mark well, but is much less effective against tougher defenses. To be honest, I would be surprised, despite his relative youth, to see him in another world cup.

Batistuta is another interesting example -- he didn't look very effective in this world cup, now did he? He wasn't the only problem for the Argentines, but he certainly was A problem, being more a poacher than a complete player at the international level.

Your characterization of Vieri I would dispute. He is very active both on and off the ball, and doesn't stand around and wait for the game to come to him.

2. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be 19 in June of 2006. Bruce, cap me now!

3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    "Your characterization of Vieri I would dispute. He is very active both on and off the ball, and doesn't stand around and wait for the game to come to him."

No, but he is certainly pretty exclusively a scorer and rarely ever gets anything accomplished outside the box.

And, no Bati didn't have a good cup, which extends to the whole Argentina team. But, he's been a great goal poacher for years. In my opinion, he was just a bit past his prime at this cup. He has certainly had success over the last several years and I refuse to believe that the game changed so much during the month of the world cup that a guy who was a star suddenly became obsolete in a matter of days.

I agree that Klose is an interesting case, with his exploits early and his lack of production as time went along. I'm not ready to hand him the German crown just yet as I'm sure he'll face many challengers by 2006, where the Germans WILL win the cup once again. Still, I figure we'll see him again in 2006. He's young, finishes well, and if for nothing other than his height and power in the air will be valuable for a team like Germany.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Re: Twellman is taking no prisoners

the answer is decaf.

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make some excellent points. TT being good with his head, playing defense, and high workrate. You're right, Waldo is not a good comparison. In fact, TT sounds more like a McBride on paper. Maybe sort of a combination. TT does have some speed, though he's not a burner. He's definitely not slow.

6. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Nobody, I really think we witnessed some very important changes in the international game over the last cycle -- and particularly in forward play.

Sure, there may be "poachers" in the traditional sense who make a impact from time to time in the international game.

But I would argue that to build your team around such players, or to ignore more complete players at the forward position in exchange for such one-dimensional players, will put your team at a handicap.

Again, look at what Big Phil did in this cup. High pressure defense all over the field, even from the forward positions. No rest for the weary.

Big Phil, coaching a team where aesthetics were considered not much less important that winning, understood THIS, and moreover, ACTED on it even as the public and press were pressuing him to do EXACTLY the opposite. In retrospect, it's pretty remarkable. There's a guy who has some serious intestinal fortitude to go along with his insight.

With McBride -- in many ways the protypical international forward, believe it or not -- Arena got it right as well.

As I mentioned earlier -- and this thread is about Twellman after all -- TT understands this VERY well. He ain't no dummy, this kid. He is preparing himself for the future where the complete game is the game that will be required. HE knows poaching goals is not enough, and he is working to assure Bruce Arena KNOWS he knows it.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Mario, I like McBride a lot. I think he is way under-rated by many on these boards, but TT is and will be a better finisher than McBride. TT has, in his first year in MLS, scored far more than BM ever has. Will that translate at the international level? I would be very surprised if it doesn't, because he had lots of GOOD goals. A few cheesy ones, but some excellent ones as well.

8. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Twellman has 20 goals at this point.

The MLS Strikeforce?

DMB: 3
    McBride: 5
    Mathis: 4
    Landon: 7
    Wolff: 5

Total: 24 for the strikeforce.

9. angstchild

angstchild New Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Tracy, CA
    That does it! The Strikeforce needs a facelift. DMB is out of the strikeforce and Twellman should be inserted in his place. Then it will be:

DMB: 3
    MLS Strikeforce: 41

Either that or the new Strikeforce should be:
    Twellman, Cunningham, Razov, Kreis, and Faria.

Old Strikeforce: 24
    New and Improved Strikeforce: 71

10. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda.....

11. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 6, 2001
    New England
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I digress:

Is Faria eligible to play for the US? Are only Americans allowed on the "Strike Force"?

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    No and yes. Haven't you heard? The mission was clear.

13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No argument from me. I wasn't comparing their qualities levels, but their styles. Nevertheless, McBride has a lot of international success, but has been less of a factor in MLS. A lot of this has been down to just plain old missing games (injuries, callups, Preston duty).

14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt that TT has earned his first callup. Nelson should get one too. And Razov, Kreis, and Ralston should also get another look.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think Nelson is not American. I think he is New Zealand.
    Ralston is playing some excellent soccer- he is mini-Figo!

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Dude, I thought Nelson broke up years ago?:

[​IMG]

But then, their bastard step brother Geoff Aunger did play for the Canadian National Team:

[​IMG]

All I need is your love and affection...

The Magpie

17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    An aging thread...but what has struck me about TnT is his anticipation, strength to the ball, quick first step and a palpable need to score. He absolutely does remind me of JMM, but a bit stronger both physically and mentally in driving to the goal.

The goal I love is the bicycle kick he scored a bit back. He was moving toward the goal at about the six yard box as someone shot and it deflected off the post in the time it took to bounce back toward him, he had turned and bicycled. There was no thinking that was a part of his reaction, it was pure reaction that was beautiful to watch.

Plus...he does exhibit that selfishness that any good scorer needs, but he is also able to keep his teammates happy with him. That says something as well...just ask Mama-poos teammates.

He deserves a shot. I look forward to seeing him play with the USMNT.

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    I'd have to say he's considerably more stronger than JMM, and not just because he outweighs him by 20 lbs.

19. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    wasnt the strikeforce used to promote mls by showing its american world cup attackers?

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I consider this accepting the responsibility of being the goal scorer. It is a tough job, and we have many good players, who I won't mention, who don't really accept that job. I have to say that Twellman's mental game is his biggest attribute. His physical prowess is very good, but nothing unbelieveable. But his mental game gets an A+- he is ALWAYS on the look-out for that half chance that can win the game.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    TT is 22, the other guys are much older. BA must give minutes to the young guys.

22. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I think giving more playing time, Edson Buddle is the better player...His size is something we need if McBride leaves... then there's E Johnson and Quaranta.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Edson Buddle, about 10 goals in his career? Johnson, zero? Quaranta, maybe 5? Twellman has 22 in one season, a season that he wasn't even in a starting role. You can talk all the potential you want, I will take someone who has shown that he can do the job. The other guys may get there, they may not.

24. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17 starts, 12 goals (1 year younger than Twellman)

4 starts, 3 goals (4 years younger than Twellman)

21 starts, 8 goals (4.5 years younger than Twellman)

Roy Lassiter is the exact reason why this thought process is not with out flaws. Goals in MLS (or any league on the planet) do not directly translate into international success.

I do agree that Taylor has done more than enough to get a few call ups and some good minutes to see if his sniper skills can translate to the bigger stage.

In terms of the players you mentioned, I can understand comparing Twellman to Buddle, but I don't understand comparing Santino or Eddie to Taylor. Are you telling me that you knew 4 years ago how good Twellman was going to be?

Andy

25. Rev79

Rev79 New Member

Aug 17, 1999
    As opposed to New England??? That's hardly an excuse.

Fernando_Bayern_BR repped this.