TV Money: MLS vs Liga MX

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by John L, Oct 24, 2016.

1. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Just wondering about the level of talent, money and resources between MLS and Liga MX.

I assume Liga MX has more than MLS, but why?

Liga MX must get TV money within Mexico, but it also has broadcasting networks televising games in the US (Univision, Unimas, etc). These might be mostly or totally in Spanish, but they still broadcast in the US, and bring in US dollars.

My underlying question is are there any broadcasts of MLS games in Mexico on Mexican broadcasting networks? Is MLS getting any Mexican pesos?

2. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    #2 chungachanga, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    From what I've read, 30-60 mil payrolls are normal for Mexico's above average clubs.

Re TV contracts, Chivas used to make 50ish mil a year from TV, 16 mil of that from Univision for USA broadcasts. This year Chivas launched their own TV channel and stopped selling to broadcasters in Mexico, so those numbers will change.

Mexican clubs sign their own TV deals, similar to Portugal, or Spain in the past. A popular club like Chivas or Tigres can make a lot more than a small club.

As to why, it's just a more popular league. It's older, it's the dominant league in Mexico and popular among Mexican immigrants and their kids in the US.

Plus they have promotion / relegation and don't have salary cap. :ninja:

I don't know if MLS is broadcast in Mexico, but it's probably covered by MP Silva contract. MLS has sold international rights to MP Silva, who re-sell those rights to foreign TV channels. It could be broadcast in Mexico on some channel, but I can't imagine it being very popular...
    In general, MLS is a cheap filler content in other countries TV. It's in summer, when there's not much on TV, and MLS has good looking stadiums, good crowds, good TV production, so it has its niche, but it won't be a very lucrative niche.

Edit: found an article in google with TV figures for USA broadcasts:
    Chivas at 16 mil
    America 15
    Cruz Azul 11
    Pumas 10
    Toluca 8 etc
    https://www.portada-online.com/2016...ccer-clubs-get-paid-for-u-s-broadcast-rights/

I was surprised that Tigres make only 3 mil in the US, I would've guessed they'd be near the top.

Unak78 and jayd8888 repped this.
  3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Fox Sports Latin America shows MLS games and is available in Mexico via a couple of different cable and satellite channels. As chungachanga says, MP Silva, is actually paying for the MLS rights and the re-selling them to various broadcasters. So MLS isn't directly getting money from that Fox Sports Latin America deal but eventually the league will wind up with money coming from Mexico.

John L repped this.
  4. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    MP & Silva no longer hold MLS's international broadcasting rights. IMG is the current rights holder.
    http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conte...er-partner-img-market-media-rights-until-2022

John L repped this.
  5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    thanks for the input

6. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    You kinda get an idea if you live here in Texas or in Cali and see which team jerseys Mexican American immigrants tend to wear. I do see alot of Tigres kits on par with Pumas, Cruz Azul, and America. Surprisingly I rarely see Chivas kit tops here in Texas, and I've never seen Pachuca, Santos, or Toluca kits. I'd imagine that So-Cal is starting to see quite a few TJ kits, but you'd have to ask someone from there since I haven't been back to Cali since my days in the military.

John L and chungachanga repped this.
  7. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #7 Don Boppero 3000, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Talent wise top lig mx teams just have more resources to obtain the talent.

Rayados and Tigres as of the last few years having been splurging on another level pushing what Liga MX can be. Meanwhile the usual suspects are spending at the their usual pace Chivas America.

US most viewed soccer league week in week out is Liga MX and just speaking in terms of entertainment its got lots of quality attacking football. In comparison to MLS its just more lively and the attacking play is more cohesive and purposeful.

MLS is building and expanding so thats to be expected as the expansion is out pacing the available talent. More Govinco and Gio type signings should be the direction. Also someone has to do something about Chicago Fire. That shit is depressing when you think about the buzz of the 90s Fire teams. I was always down for a bus ride loaded with brews from the globe to watch a game. Now i dont.

Yeah they show MLS games in México but its not much of a thing. MLB NFL garner more attention and ppl have favorite teams.

pichichi2010, SixKick, jayd8888 and 2 others repped this.
  8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Thank you, Unak & Don

Don Boppero 3000 repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the only English games for liga MX un the USA are the Telemundo games.

ESPN tried a few years ago but they gave up after 1 semester due to the shit ratings.

Liga MX should keep trying for that, English language soccer is competitive with so many leagues available now in days.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Here in Chicago it is Mostly Chivas and America with some Morelia in the Burbs.

11. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Has there ever been surveys or studies on whether Liga MX is popular beyond those with Mexican roots? I am curious to know if soccer fans in Central America also watch Liga MX.

MLS is broadcasted in Europe, is Liga MX as well?

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have only seen articles in Spanish, BeIn sports arabic seems to show some liga MX in N. Africa and the M.E.

http://www.futbolsapiens.com/actualidad/la-final-de-la-liga-mx-transmitida-en-varios-paises/

I remember seeing an article with a map but I can't find it.

Remember each mx team sells its right separately so even if some games are shown it will probably be a handful of teams.

John L repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My daughter's BFF is El Salvadoran, and her dad HATES HATES HATES Mexican soccer. My sense from him is that all his Salvie friends agree.

Dunno how Hondos, Guats, etc feel.

sitruc repped this.
  14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks for all the replies. Living in DC, I know quite a number of Salvadorans & Bolivians. A lot less love for Mexicans than us Gringos would normally assume. I didn't realize until a post by ceezmad that Mexican teams have their own separate TV contracts probably within Mexico. MLS is very different and more like the other US/Canada leagues which have league-wide contracts. The separate TV contracts in Mexico also shows up in Spain. OTOH the EPL has a (very rich) TV contract. Which is why the Championship League playoffs at the end are so intensely contested.

A possible conclusion is that some Mexican teams are quite a bit richer than most MLS counterparts. And thus find it easier to sign talent from outside of North America.

15. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Spanish clubs don't have separate TV contracts anymore. But I think John has me on ignore, hehe (oh well, can't be liked by everybody).

16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Yes, thats a recent change in Spain. A reason why payrolls for even the modest mid-table clubs jumped up.

And I can't really imagine MLS games getting picked up in Mexico for any real $$ through a third party vendor - "
    I don't know if MLS is broadcast in Mexico, but it's probably covered by MP Silva contract. MLS has sold international rights to MP Silva, who re-sell those rights to foreign TV channels. It could be broadcast in Mexico on some channel, but I can't imagine it being very popular...
    In general, MLS is a cheap filler content in other countries TV. It's in summer, when there's not much on TV, and MLS has good looking stadiums, good crowds, good TV production, so it has its niche, but it won't be a very lucrative niche.
    "

17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a lot of Chivas shirts when I lived in LA, but very few in Northern California. In Sacramento, I mostly see America, Cruz Azul, Atlas, and Santos Laguna. I occasionally see Tigres, Pumas, and Tijuana.

The only Pachuca kit I've ever seen in person was being worn by a non-Mexican, and had Jose Francisco Torres's name on it.

Unak78 and chungachanga repped this.
  18. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Yep, I don't think it's "real $$" if you mean tens of millions and such. Like I said, it's cheap filler.

The old MP Silva contract used to pay MLS just a few mil a year (for ALL foreign countries). At least, those used to be bigsoccer's educated guesstimations years ago, the exact amount was never confirmed.

As people corrected me above, there's a new contract with IMG now. I've never seen any numbers or guesstimations on that one. It's also a more complicated contract in that it includes national teams. I'm sure it's bigger than MP Silva deal, but I doubt we are talking 8 digits a year here.

PS: So just curious, I was on ignore until now? :p (No big deal anyway haha)

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States