TV Deals

Discussion in 'Mexico: Clubs' started by Panfilo, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    WTF TV DEALS CHANGE

Telemundo Boots Premiere Mexican Soccer Into U.S.

Under the terms of the deal, Telemundo will have exclusive U.S. rights to air the matches from Sept. 29 through Dec. 31, 2008. Telemundo will broadcast all soccer matches played at the home stadiums of six of Mexico's premiere teams--UNAM, Atlante, Tigres, Monterrey, Toluca and Atlas.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content...broadcast/e3ia0dd3fad69143d619c92e7a71fc5bc4c

Short term deal?

Did Univision piss off Televisa?

So now Telemundo has: Chivas, Pumas, Atlante, Tigres, Monterrey, Toluca, and Atlas home games

Univision has: America, Necaxa, San Luis home games

Azteca America has: Cruz Azul, Santos, Tecos, Morelia, Puebla, Jaguares, Indios, and Pachuca home games

Espn Deportes/Fox has: one game a week. A simulcast of an Azteca game.

2. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn
    Pretty odd for the contract to start right in the middle of September just when Apertura is halfway through and Univision has already carried some of the transmissions. This gives a huge blow to Univision as they are heavily dependent among MFL and will affect deeply their 3 main channels. Also a lot of their programs like the boisterous dreadful show Republica Deportiva as they will not be showing a lot of the games anymore.

This is nothing new as both medias have had it share of disputes in court. Thing swill only get worse for Univision as they are dependent on Televisa.

Will feel odd to watch more MFL games on Telemundo now. Especially Unam which were always broadcasted on Univision on Sundays during half day at CU. Things will juts keep getting worse for Univision as Telemundo is buidling relationships with Televisa and already carrying soem of their novelas and shows.

3. wpuig02

wpuig02 New Member

May 27, 2007
    HoUsToN, TeXaS
    kool i was already fed up with pablo ramirez always promoting his stupid mls now he can have more time to narrate the crappy games.

4. furiaroja

furiaroja New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    It's funny that the 3 teams own by televisa are the only ones that univision networks will show their home games.

To me that's great news less Pablo Ramirez. Maybe it's a test to see if they get more viewers in Telemundo which I guess they get.

5. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Televisa is exerting their power.

There must have been a disagreement over something and Televisa is using this as a "we don't actually own you anymore, but we can take you down if we wanted to" sort of thing.

Univision will cave in my opinion they know that they depend on Televisa for most of their programming and futbol after novelas is the most important thing they got.

Come next torneo I think they will go back. Seriously if they would have wanted to cut all ties with Univision they would have put America, Necaxa, and San Luis in the deal and made it a long term commitment to Telemundo.

6. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Univision only has one game this week. :D

7. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Telemundo already has one point in my book.... THEY televise a game from the beginning.... not like Univision that starts transmitting games 3-5 minutes after the start

8. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
    This is great news! I'm no fan of Telemundo but the less football on the Univisión networks the better. Too bad it's only a short term deal.

Now if only Azteca América could hand over their Mexican football coverage to a more competent network as well, that would be brilliant.

9. AMEPUNKANIST

AMEPUNKANIST Member+

Dec 16, 2003
    Club:
    America Propria
    Once they get the concept of having score and time at same time on the screen, they will be solid gold in the my book.

10. destruktion

destruktion BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 30, 2006
    Woodland,CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Telemundo needs a crisper broadcast the image is not that great.
    I wonder which spanish national network will go fullblown HD. Maybe 10 years at this rate. When im able to watch FMF matches in HD I will be blown away.

11. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    A big [​IMG] @ Univision.

12. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    no more Jesus Ramirez?

Meh

13. Serg33

Serg33 Member+

Jul 11, 2007
    As long as we got the mex footie on the "regular" channels than I'm good.

14. Chivas100

Chivas100 New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Chicago
    so everyone enjoys the argentine accent then?

15. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    no! screw cantor

16. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eh, its better than the old favorites:

"Hablame Jesus!"

"Toritooooooooo"

"Poste!!! Palo!!! (followed by more annoying crap)"

17. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    dude that stuff is jaming

I especially like the, "ahora que se quita el hombre con la player Tundra"

18. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    Chucho Ramirez?

When it comes to play-by-play, commenting or talking about football?
    YES

19. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn
    Very pleased with Telemundo getting the gig from Televisa

Good to see Sammie back in the air as a commentator and better yet replacing Alejandro Blanco in the fmf games. I much rather listen to Cantor than Jesus Ramirez

-Its refreshing not to see every 2 minutes a new advertisement pop up then Ramirez making nonsensical analogy.
    - games start off right on kick off
    - on the field commentator at times depending on game

Only defect they need to show the scoreboard the whole game

20. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Blanco was on vacation. He is not bad either beats the Univision bozos.

Whats going to happen during the week though? Will they replace their novelas for their games.

and on the last day of the torneo? When teams play at the same time, where would they put the rest of the games.

Mun2?

21. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    They haven't done that in the last couple seasons, no?

22. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I don't mind Pablo Ramirez. I think he just needs a better partner.

Pablo knows a lot about the league, the history, and knows the tactical side of it... which is odd considering Bracamontes is a coach and sometimes he says stupid shit.

23. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    I've never been a big fan of Pablo Ramirez. I don't mind Cantor so much, but I do prerfer him to la Torre. I think Ramirez breaks the cardinal rule of announcers by making fun of people's names. We all know about Simao, but Scocco, I could not deal with.

But Alejandro Blanco, IMHO, is worthless. He brings nothing to the table. His commentary is awful. He has no idea what is happening on the pitch, and his opinions are usually dead wrong. God forbid I miss the highball sloshing, pompous Norberto Longo.

24. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    He is horrible when it comes to play by play. If he provided commentary he wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Personally, I think Orvañanos is gifted at play by play. Granted, its not the content of what he says, but the way he expresses himself. Raul excells where Ramirez fails.

25. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Really? To each his own I guess. I can't stand that old drunken fool.