TV Coverage in the US

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by mach4, Dec 14, 2005.

1. humanoide

humanoide New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    An alternative for those of us who can't take days off during WC...stream live TV from home to your work PC. The requirements are: 1. A 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 (or equivalent) PC at home; 2. A video card; 3. Orb.

Of these three requirements, the home PC is the expensive one (assuming you don't own one already). The video card should be around $100, and Orb is free. For more information look into www.orb.com.

I've already set up the system and it works great. I can even get live TV on my cell. My first test was streaming the draw at work.

2. TundraEagle

TundraEagle New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    Was re-reading the press release and WC 06 is to be carried live on ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, and ABC HD. My comcast lists these as different channels from the regular programming. Does that mean I have to get digital service to watch the games or is it also broadcast on the regular stations?

3. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I cant answer your question, but where is this press release your talking aobut. I must be blind. I have been trying to find the t.v listings for the world cup, but I could not find anything.

4. westsidepunk

westsidepunk Member

May 31, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    You do not have to get digital service to watch the games. They will all be broadcast on standard definition ABC, ESPN and ESPN2. However, if you have a high definition tv and want take advantage of it, you will need to sign up for the HD channels.

5. TundraEagle

TundraEagle New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    soccertv.com in the espn section dtd 17 Aug. I haven't seen a specific tv schedule yet either.

thanks westsidepunk. I haven't switched to HD yet and was just concerned it would only be broadcast on channels I don't have.

6. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i'll miss the middle of the night games too. that was an amazing summer. waking up at 4am to see us wallop portugal. waking up the neighbors. ahhh.

7. ftbl1415

ftbl1415 New Member

Mar 3, 2006
  8. toon_soldier_86

toon_soldier_86 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    THE BAY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    i work at night so ill be ok!

late night/morrnig games are fun thou:D

9. fighton2000

fighton2000 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    I lived in Ko-reatown (Los Angeles) during the last world cup and those night games made-it the funnest summer since 84'!!!!
    Every night people were up partying between the mexicans, koreans, americans, japanese, africans and euros no -one slept the entire cup!!
    Big 20ft screens on wilshire and viewing parties at Staples !!
    I love L.A.!
    The drums the trumpets the booze!!
    !stupid european time difference no one wants to party at 10 am!

10. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch

same----USA game days I will be nowhere near work-----I'll probably watch the US-Czech game at a Czech bar here in Denver, unless a miracle happens and I can somehow go to this sucker

11. rednwhite

rednwhite New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Sunderland, England
    Is the World Cup really that big in North America? I've always had the impression that the USA and Canada generally didn't care. But going back to the 2002 World Cup, that was hell because all of the England games were on at around 10am, and back then I was at school doing my exams.

I will always remember that world cup for the France defeat to Senegal on the first day, it was such a shock. And couldn't believe the USA - Portugal result either.

12. Neutral Fan

Neutral Fan New Member

Dec 27, 2000

13. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    HERE IS an updated broadcast information from ABC and ESPN coverage, March 15,2006.

ABC, ESPN to broadcast all World Cup games liveAssociated Press

BRISTOL, Conn. -- ABC will televise 12 of the 64 games at this year's World Cup, including the final on July 9 and the first-round matchup between the United States and Italy on June 17.

All of ABC's broadcasts from the tournament in Germany will be on Saturdays and Sundays. ESPN will broadcast 21 games and ESPN2 will televise 31 at the tournament, which starts on June 9.

Because of the six-hour time difference between Germany and ET, games start at 9 a.m., 10 a.m., 11 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. on the East Coast of the United States. All of the ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 broadcasts will be live.

At the last World Cup in Europe, played in France in 1998, ABC broadcast 14 games, ESPN 27 and ESPN2 23.

The 2002 World Cup was played in Japan and South Korea, where there was a 13-hour time difference with the U.S. East Coast. ABC televised just one game live -- the final. ESPN broadcast 16 games live and ESPN2 41, with six games shown only on a delayed broadcast.

All games will be available on high definition -- all though not all cable systems carry HDTV.

Univision has the U.S. Spanish-language broadcast rights.

14. TriaktivTLE00

TriaktivTLE00 Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    All US MNT matches are WILL be on ABC Sports, most likely

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close, but....

6/12 USA Czeck ESPN2 and ESPN2HD-720p Noon
    6/17 USA Italy ABC and ABCHD-720p 2:30pm, I think kickoff is 3pm
    6/22 USA Ghana ESPN and ESPNHD-720p 10am

16. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to worldcup2006ontv.com:

Mon, 12 June 12:00 PM - USA vs. Czech Rep - ESPN2, Univision
    Sat, 17 June 3:00 PM - Italy vs. USA - ABC, Univision
    Thu, 22 June 10:00 AM - Ghana vs. USA - ESPN, Univision

17. usfooty7

usfooty7 New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks like I'm getting HD then too! LOL thanks everybody. I'm wondering also if there will be any big outdoor screens in DC perhaps? I lived with my mother in NJ the past two world cups and watched on the family room floor on a 19"...

18. toon_soldier_86

toon_soldier_86 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    THE BAY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    go hang out in a circut city or best buy, they have some decent tv's:D

19. AMAPO

AMAPO Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Krypton City
    Club:
    Laredo Heat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahaha yeah I'm intrested in this tv give me 90 minutes to decide whether I should buy it or not, I'll call you if I need you, by the way where do you have a snack machines? that usually works for me :D

20. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
  21. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    The TV coverage in the US is better than in Germany itself (where not all games are being shown unless you have a subscription package). Just thought I'd through that out there.

22. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas

You've got to love the ESPN2 newscrawler. That thing puts an added delay on the game and reduces picture quality. And simply annoying and distracting on top of that. Any chance they'll halt it for the HD channel? Since they have their own ESPNNEWS channel, you think they'd use a little discretion...

23. doc1

doc1 New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Setanta USA (12$/month on Directtv) says they will all the games. As I hate ESPN and they have no appreciation for soccer. Pay the 12 bucks and support a real soccer network that promote soccer for the long-term. ESPN cancelled the Milan Barca game and televised Jump Rope- this was the last straw.

24. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    In German.

I'll happily enjoy the games free on ESPN, assuming I'm not working during all of the games.

25. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I WOULD LOVE to catch Champs League games. BUT I like MANY fans of the beautiful game have either school or work during 12noon.