TV Coverage in the US

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by mach4, Dec 14, 2005.

1. mach4

mach4 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    I know it's a little early but I'm wondering if I'll be able to get every match live on TV? What channels do I need? This will be my first WC in the US and I hoping the coverage is not like the Olympics where everything was delayed for prime time.

2. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC... all live and in HD.
    The regular (non-HD) versions of those stations are on pretty much every basic cable package.

Should be the same setup as it was with the France cup. All of the Big matches (and those involving the USA) should be on ABC.

3. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    Ya, I know in canada all the games are being televised live on tsn/sportsnet, and tsn gets its feed from espn, so the games will be on. Thank God we dont have to wait until 3am to watch the games this time, theyll all be during the day, and maybe some in the late morning.

4. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    sadly the middle of the night worked better for me. No way I'm going to be able to get the day off work for every game...

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Yep, I liked the middle of the night games for that exact reason. It also felt like being a member of some strange cult getting up in the middle of the night to watch games - it was fun.

6. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any weekend matches involving the US should be on ABC but weekday matches during the day will probably be on ESPN or ESPN2.

7. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i already can't watch the italy game(wedding) and ghana game(work) because of the european time difference as opposed to middle of the night games which were much more convenient in 2002. This is torture, especially this far ahead of time. At least I have some consolation that I have faith that we will qualify and then I can watch the second round game against Brazil or Australia(yes i think they will go through)

8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    IIRC, General Hospital was pre-empted because of the Germany Game in 98. I think that was the only weekday game though. (I just know that I saw all three games that year and didnt have cable)

9. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i remember reading somewhere that FIFA requires all the USA games to be carried on terrestrial tv. i could be wrong

10. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    It's your life, and I don't know you, but there is no way I would ever let work keep me from watching the USA in the World Cup. At least since this is the USA, you might actually be able to get home and watch a tape of the game without anyone telling you what happened.

11. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cancel the wedding.

:)

One of my best friends is getting married in Colorado this summer. I expect to be in the wedding party. I told him if his wedding conflicted with the World Cup I wouldn't attend. It's all about priorities.

12. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Please don't spout such nonsense. Did you watch the Canadian coverage in 2002?

TSN and CBC pulled their feeds from ITV and BBC, NOT from ESPN. That's the advantage of having a Canadian DBS here in America. I can enjoy the British commentary instead of Jack and Ty...

And 2006 is the first time SportsNet carries the World Cup. Before that, Euro 00, WC 02 and Euro 04 were all properties of TSN, with British commentaries. I sure know, because I acquired a Canadian DBS in early 2000 MAINLY FOR THE EURO 00 coverage on TSN...

13. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    I'm marrying a girl with good priorities. The World Cup is our honeymoon. :)

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Well at least we know one American will have a chance of scoring over there.. :)

15. Manoro3

Manoro3 Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Los Ángeles
    Yeah middle of the night games were cool because they didn't conflict with anything but I missed more games than I wanted to inadvertently falling asleep. A lull in the action like a set piece or something was usually enough to knock me over the brink of unconsciousness.

16. aila76

aila76 Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Auburn, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally, it's just not as fun at 9am (if you're even able to watch live then - most people are at work then of course)...

17. TundraEagle

TundraEagle New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    I've put my Christmas list on hold to research a new system to best enjoy next summer's WC. If anyone has some good ideas I'd appreciate any sites or links to good information. Since major channels are carrying the games I suppose digital cable is the best provider. But what are the better HD screens and recorders (I'd like to start recording to DVDs instead of VCR). Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

18. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i would say get satellite instead of digital cable. not a lot of cable outlets are carrying ESPN2HD, and directv does carry it, as well as setanta sports, goltv in english and spanish, fox soccer channel, and fox sports en español

19. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just know that I had to get cable in '02 in order to watch the US games.

20. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    This will be the first world cup that I have an actual job, and I can't take multiple days off. I will really need to learn how to use the timer on my dvdr

21. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    I'm jealous. Getting married on June 10 - wanted May because of the cup but it just wasn't happening. And Germany isn't either. At least I will get the 12 hour time difference for our honeymoon (Hawaii) and I let him know in no uncertain terms I will be watching the games at night.

22. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all of the eligible men out there, couldn't you have fallen in love with the right priorities.

;)

23. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    LOL I thought I did! He plays soccer and watches games with me but at the end of the day he's not as psychotic as I am.

To those that mentioned loving the night games, I am right there with you. I fondly remember coming home from work, taking a 2-3 hour nap, waking up and driving 1 hour into NYC for the games, coming home and going right back to work. I did feel like I was part of some strange, private cult, and actually enjoyed my fellow workers thinking I was crazy. :)

24. Futballer

Futballer New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Canada
    Yeah games in the middle of the night are better. It's going to be hard to get time off work.....

25. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    I would say that all USA games wil be on either ABC or ESPN. The Final Match will be on ABC as well.