tv coverage for 08 campaign

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by blank25, Jan 28, 2008.

1. blank25

blank25 Member

May 18, 2002
    bergen county
    When will tv coverage be announced? Will MSG send the announcers to away games this year? If anyone has the the answer clue me in?

2. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    MSG signed a two year deal to broadcast the games. This is the 2nd of the two year deal. So as of right now they will be the clubs home based broadcaster. As of away matches I would have to assume that they will be on the road this time, because when the contract was signed it was a very short ammount of time between the broadcasting contract and the start of the 2007 season. They had to chop off pre-game, weekly show & staying in the studios of MSG for road matches. Now that they have enough time to sell ads and to get new or re-up with old ones, I would like to think they will go on the road, but we will have to wait and see.

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I don't think road coverage had anything to do with time necessary for preparations. Otherwise, they could have easily changed course mid-season last year and sent a broadcast team to away games with pre-game reports and highlight shows and everything. MSG agreed to do the bare minimum when MLS games turned from a time buy to a rights fees situation, and the bare minimum is what I think we'll be stuck with for another season.

4. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to agree with Roehl; not sending the broadcasters on the road was all about the $ and (presumably) nothing's changed in that regard.

I thought it was a crappy, money-grubbing idea; but it worked out better last season, IMHO, than I would ever have imagined :eek:

5. MT323

MT323 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    NYC'burbs/Cincinnati
    This is somewhat in the same vein of this conversation, but when does MLS generally release the full season schedule for all games? I'm just anxious to see when all the teams are playing and when the Red Bulls are coming out to Columbus so I can go to that game in some Red Bull regalia.

6. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    I don't really care too much if the announcers go on the road or not at this point. My main concern is that every game be on TV live, or at the very least, one or two on tape delay.

They can keep their pre-game shows and highlights and whatever else, just show me the game.

I'll get all my other info online, so I dont need no extras....

7. MasterShake

MasterShake New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY Ukraine
    Im with metro1026 on this one.

I dont even care if there is commentary, just show me the game when I am NOT at the game and I'll be okay.

8. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    When the broadcasts went from time buys to out of pocket expense for MSG, they probably took one look at the near invisible ratings and figured cut the loses where they could. Announcers actually being at the game doesn't matter to me because after the first few minutes I tend to tune them out anyways. I rarely watched the pre-game show or the MSG Soccer Report so I didn't really miss them last year.

9. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Once they turned MSR into "the-guy-from-Survivor show" I stopped looking for it.

MSG didn't even have playoff coverage last year (maybe one or two tape delay viewings), so if all the other stuff doesn't bother fans, missing out on the end of the season should.