Turning Your Back on 6/25

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ggayle, Jun 19, 2005.

1. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You become emotionally attached to a place, to a team, to a fan base, to an organization." When asked when he would return from Germany, he said, "I would almost promise that I'll be back at some point. I would say 100 percent but you never know what can happen with injuries and whatnot. But I would promise that I will be back and I want to be back. This is ultimately where I think I want to be, where I can be with my family and this is where I want to raise a family as well, so at some point I'll definitely be back."

-Landon Donovan referring to San Jose in a media conference call 11/23/04 announcing his move to Bayer Leverkusen

"While we are disappointed in Landon's decision, we recognize his right and moreover his ability to dictate the course of his career. Based on Landon's own comments and actions at the end of last season, we don't think anyone could have predicted that his return to the German Bundesliga would only last three months. At the time, we wished him well in Europe and immediately set about the task of building an improved Earthquakes team.

We would love nothing more than to have Landon back in an Earthquakes uniform, but evidently this is not what he wants. It is clear that his desire, from a personal and professional standpoint, is to play in Los Angeles. While that may be a decision that is difficult for many to accept, given Landon's association with our team, it is nonetheless the reality. We have moved on from Landon Donovan and we are excited to kick off what we feel is going to be a successful 2005 season and one that lives up to the standards that our fans have come to expect and deserve."

-former Quakes President and General Manager Alexi Lalas’ official statement on Landon’s move to the Galaxy.

Landon has turned his back on us. Join the Club Quake board by turning your back on him
    when he’s announced during line-ups before the match versus the LA Galaxy on June 25th.

2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll do this for sure, but I do it for the whole LA team anyway. I think it would say more if he were just skipped over in announcements altogether.....forgotten.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG woud never allow that. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Why not just boo so loudly that no-one can hear his name??

5. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel sorry for the announcer.... I bet he wants so badly not to have to say his name.... ;)

6. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some complex organisms actually have the ability to do both. :)

7. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and silence... so quiet the crickets could be chirping...

The booing commences at the start of the official's whistle...

8. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just "forget?" Could they prove otherwise? Or how about a little technical glitch...some strategically placed static or feedback? I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I just would like it to be an extremely obvious snub somehow.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with silence from us would be that the only thing that'll then be heard is the wild cheers from the visiting Fallacians. So basically, all Judas would hear is cheering. :(

No, we need the entire stadium (minus the Fallacy section) to loudly and thoroughly boo him.

-G

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's hard to forget the best player in the league.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, except that I don't want that to cost the announcer his job (or even get him reprimanded).

And AEG officials will be paying attention to that.

-G

12. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Did anyone see a brief spot on FSC this weekend with Donovan? I think it was an interview inserted at halftime of the FSC MLS game, but I don't remember for sure. It was a very short interview, Donovan was asked about how he was feeling about returning to San Jose. He said something that sounded kind of contradictory....something like "I'm excited about it and kind of nervous"....and then he said something like "But it will definitely be hard, and I'm not looking forward to it. I just want to get it over with".

These weren't his exact words, but it struck me, he definitely said he was not looking forward to it and would just as soon it be over......could be a good sign that he will be more worried about what we will be doing than what he should be doing!

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With that in mind, the best solution is for all of us to turn our backs and to boo loudly. That way, we'll clearly show our feelings toward him and drown out the cheering Fallacians at the same time.

-G

14. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Maybe some enterprising Cal students can replicate their prank at the 1997 (or was it 1999?) Big Game. Tapping into the PA system and ragging on Stanford during the game. At Stanford Stadium.

I still wonder how they did that.

15. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I CANT WAIT!!! I'll be doing that from PA! :D

16. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Good plan. I'd love to take part in this if only I could make the game. Ugh, the first game I miss of the season is the most anticipated. Anyways, boo loud!!! LD will not feel welcome back at Spartan and hopefully this will affect him in his game.

GO QUAKES!!!

17. quakesfan2003

quakesfan2003 New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Brentwood, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm cheering. Period.

I appreciate everything he has done for the Quakes and US soccer in general. There are some things you don't forget. When I started following soccer in 2002 during the World Cup, I'll always remember that header he scored against Mexico. It was the first full soccer game I watched from kickoff to final whistle, since the US lost to Brazil on the 4th of July in 1994.

But the 2003 season, the season I started following the Quakes on a regular basis, will always be memorable for me. The trip to MLS Cup 2003 was planned in July (tickets purchased), with a pipe dream that the Quakes would be one of the finalists. After the wild LA series, and the KC game, it was destined to be their season. The moment that sticks out most to me was not the two goals he scored in the Final, but the OT goal he scored to put the Quakes in it. Ekelund fed him the ball and it seemed like three players were hanging on him, and he still buried it past Meola. After he scored, bedlam ensued at Spartan, and Landon sprinted down the field with the hand/arm motion as to say "Follow me to LA, I will lead us to the promise land" as his fellow teammates tackled him in celebration.

It's kind of symbolic because it was his team. He was the leader. Countless times he carried the Quakes on his back when all looked hopeless. I'm sorry, but if you boo LD, you are booing the brightest period (thus far) of this franchise's existance. With out Landon, the Quakes are still the bottom-dwelling Clash they once were.

Think about it.

18. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    He's still a traitor and i'm going to boo.

19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Narcissus did a lot for this team. But there were many, many games where he was nearly invisible on the pitch. There were plenty of times that he did not give his all.

Wade Barrett has had some bad games this year, and in the past too. But everytime he steps on the field, Wade does his level best. He plays hard every second that he's on the pitch. Same for DeRo. Same for Ching. Same for Mullan. Hell, same for Doyle! Agoos played hurt for us, so did Dayak. Even Burns really hated to lose and threw chairs in the locker room after losses and cursed his teammates for not trying harder. Narcissus never did anything like that.

Narcissus was hot and cold. Sure I expect down days, but he often lacked the fire in the belly. That dramatic come back against the evil, cheating, water-stealers? Narcissus was depressed after their second goal. Thought it was over. But Jamil Walker told him "Pick your head up, we can score five on these guys." and then Jamil ignited the come back. Jamil, not freaking Narcissus.

Yeah, SissyBoy played some great games, the last minute hold and flick to Manny for the winning goal against Tampa Bay!! Wow! And he torched many other teams along the way. But every word that comes out of his mouth convinces me that everything in his life is about him, not his team, not his country, not even his family. He's selfish.

Screw SissyBoy!!
    GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

20. quakesfan2003

quakesfan2003 New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Brentwood, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you're telling me that if you had a chance to play very close to your home, and be with family and friends, you would turn it down? It's not like he's on the Galaxy forever. Who knows what might happen in the future? Sheesh, he's 23...

21. acreach

acreach New Member

Oct 25, 2001
    I've been thinking about how I was going to handle the return of Donovan for this game and here is where my thoughts ended up:

-I am actually not that pissed that LD decided to go to LA, given the chance to play at home, live with his girlfriend, and play in front of family is obviously an important thing for him. Given the choice, I would have made the same decision.

-I AM pissed at the league because I don't think we got ample compensation for losing him. If we would have received Eddie Johnson or someone of that level, no harm, no foul.

-I think LD was a wuss for leaving Leverkusen after 10 weeks

-Don't forget, he (with help from others) turned the Quakes into winners.

-He is a huge component in our national team and has produced for the Nats at a pretty solid level.

-On a personal level, he is a pretty nice guy.

So, with all of that, I am going to cheer for him when he is announced (to show my appreciation for his skill, his time in SJ, and his future with the Nats), and then boo the crap out of him everytime he touches the ball.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong!

Granted, the team was usually that much better with him, but the Yallop-era Quakes were far better than the bottom-dwelling Clash ever were even during his absences with the National Team.

-G

23. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No we're not. We're in 3rd and we'd be but a few points our of second if not for an incompetent AR robbing us of 2 of our points. Landon said San Jose are idiots and went to play with our rivals. Live in the past if you want, but Landon's a Laxative now. Think about living in the present.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just explain to your neighbors that you aren't booing them. ;)

-G

25. quakesfan2003

quakesfan2003 New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Brentwood, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon came in the same season with Frank. He was the Yallop era. Let's face it, the team was built around him.