Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pay for ESPN TV channels through my cable package, as I suspect an awful lot of people still do, even if that market is shrinking. And when the gradually shift content from TV to streaming, I bet they are not lowering the price that my cable provider has to pay for ESPN channels. Would you agree?

So I feel it's customer unfriendly to move the live sports content to ONLY streaming.

It's a little bit like if other companies with which you do business and to which you pay money, decided to only communicate with you by Facebook or text, when you prefer email or paper mail. I know many of those companies might like to do this, but in general they still allow for different, parallel methods of providing info. Which is the right, fair thing to do.

I know it's not a perfect analogy, but you get the point.

Why can't ESPN broadcast the FA Cup Final on both ESPN TV and ESPN+ streaming?

Those people who pay for ESPN TV like I do could get it that way if they prefer, and other people like cord-cutters could get it by paying for streaming.

To make me pay twice for their product, based on what method I receive it, doesn't seem to me to be customer friendly.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. 10X. Not to mention that there's a tried and true method of recording and maintaining TV content which just doesn't exist in the streaming world. But don't get me started again on that! ;)

You're talking about the UCL Final, which will be aired on CBS SN channel(s)?? Doesn't that go against the premise that @socceraction laid out above?

3. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    4 of 306.

SA

4. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    But the FA Cup was never on the regular TV channels so they really never "moved" anything. But I know what you mean (sports in general).

I completely understand your frustration but to me ESPN+ is just another "channel" on my smart TV. A little bit of pain to switch over compared to regular surfing; hate I have to pay $5.99 basically a la carte for the channel; hate that the recording (replay) isn't immediately there; hate that other streaming services want $5.99, $7.99, $19.99 etc which on their own are great deals but it all adds up. But there is one thing that makes the whole "hate" go away - the content! You don't have to think about "which" Serie A matches will be shown next weekend - they ALL are! Same with Bundesliga next season. FA Cup (later rounds) again, they are ALL there to watch.

I know ESPN+ & CBS All Access & Fanatiz are not "channels" in the traditional sense but believe me, if you can approach them (mentally, I guess) as such, you're life will be a lot less frustrating. It took a while but I honestly don't care where a game is being shown. When I look at a schedule and a match is on ESPN2 or it's on ESPN+ makes absolutely no difference to me. Traditional TV vs streaming debate is just a exercise in futility at this point. Embrace streaming because it is only going to get bigger going forward...sorry.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

5. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Because then people wouldn't subscribe to ESPN+ just for that match. These rights aren't free. People paying for subscriptions covers that cost. And ESPN doesn't feel that the costs associated with broadcasting it on TV are worth it. Broadcasting one match per week of Serie A entices people to subscribe to ESPN+. It's also contractual. I'm sure there's nothing contractual about broadcasting the FA Cup Final, so they won't. You don't make money giving stuff away for free when you can make people pay for it (in this case twice). They're a business, not a charity, and charging people twice is good for the business of television because if you're not happy, then you can cut the cord or cancel your subscription.

It's all a supplement. If you're willing to pay for the supplement, then pay for it. If not, then don't. I don't care about the Champions League, and while I have interest in the Europa League, it's not worth it for me to pay an additional $6+ per month for CBS to watch it, so I won't. If it's something I want to watch, I'll pay for it. If not, I'll check the scores on my phone. It's not the end of my world if I don't watch something.

bigtw64 and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't mind paying for per channel, but I need to pair down my Comcast/xfinity subscription. If it was just me, I might drop cable all together; but family is a factor. I do love the DVR for college football too, but considering the doubt surrounding the college football season, it is probably a good time to drop cable.

7. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Has Univision added any kind of App on Roku or Firestick that can be used to access the Univision Deportes overflow channels? It seems like fubo is the only way to get those channels other than the WWW link, but maybe I'm missing something.

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Try TUDN. I use that on my phone and works fine. Though, I haven’t checked on my smart tv.

9. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazingly, no.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get most of the Univision channels on my cable lineup so I'm not sure why I'd need to watch it via Roku... BUT just for kicks I tried searching Roku apps for TUDN or UniMas... none found. The only thing I found was Telemundo Deportes app, which I then opened but I didn't see any of the UCL/UEL live matches showing up. FWIW.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    From what I hear Univision just does not want to go that streaming device route.

They would rather more people use their own apps and website AND they would rather traditional tv services pick up their xtra channels and zona futbol.

Dish for instance has those channels available as streaming channels on the Hopper receiver. It is convenient to watch them on my TV and not on small devices or PC .

Only down side is that you cannot record the streams and you cannot put them in PIP modes.

12. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Thanks. I was hoping to record CONCACAF games for a friend of mine. I can do that through DTV or through Roku or Firestick but it seems like none of those options exist. I recently changed my DTV package to radically cut down the cost, which was insane. It would cost $20 extra per month to keep the package that has FS2 so that is gone as well, and that's where Fox shows CONCACAF games.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You found Telemundo Deportes because that is owned by NBC, which is a different company than all the Univision channels.

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  14. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’d need to watch it via Roku because Univision has only four linear channels, and chooses to show only 2-3 games per window on those channels, so there are many champions league and Europa league games that are not on your “cable lineup” but are available online on computers, tablets and phones but not connected devices such as the Roku.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #840 NorthBank, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    I don't actually recall what this convo was about, but all I know is that being an Arsenal fan I can generally watch my team on one of the Unimas TV channels. In fact, IIRC they've aired all 7 of our matches, including the one I'm just about to watch. :) YMMV

Edit: Oops, I did my math wrong. All 5 so far, not all 7. Duh.

16. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's wonderful for you, but there are fans of other teams, or general football fans, who have interest in the so-called "overflow" Europa League and Champions League games and would like to watch them easily on an actual TV in Spanish or without paying extra for CBS All Access. Additionally, since Arsenal qualified directly to the group stage (and Univision didn't show any EL qualifiers anyway), there are only six group stage games, and this is only the 5th, I'm not clear how Unimás has aired "all 7" of Arsenal's matches, although as one of the more popular teams in the competition, who have already qualified to the knock-out stage, I'm sure they'll televise at least 8. (Although since the next one will likely be a dead rubber, maybe not.)

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you. A little brain fart had me calculating 7 instead of 5. And if you've followed my postings over the years you'll know I'm all for there being more footy on real TV rather than being syphoned off to digital-only platforms that nickel-and-dime you out of more of your savings, and don't even work half as well as TV+DVR does. But sadly, it's a pipe dream to think we might return to that. I can only hope that the streaming platform folks listen to their customers and look at history and what people liked about the old delivery models and try to replicate that as best they can.

Anyway, I digress. Back to my Arsenal on Unimas which is practically the only place I've seen us win this season. And I am thankful that Unimas thinks we're still worth enough to air every match day. That could go poof in a minute I figure so I'm very grateful. Even if I don't speak a lick of Spanish.

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only perfect clubs in the CL (Barcelona) and EL (Arsenal) have both disappointed domestically. Arsenal is 14th. Barcelona is 7th. They have 1 or 2 games in hand over many clubs, but giving them 2 wins would move them up to 3rd, which is not as good as they expect. Arsenal should win at Dundalk, while Barcelona ends hosting Juventus. Arsenal is more points above third (the top club that gets eliminated) in their EL group than above 18th (the top club that gets relegated) in the EPL.

NorthBank repped this.