Turn the page (Game 2 analysis)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Vistula, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    We're down 2-0 and it's half-time of a 180-minute game. If it was 2-0 at halftime of a 90-minute game, you would not turn off your set. We need the first goal.

Then, game on.

I want Gaven, Lisi, Amado, Clint, Woly and Magee all on the field to start. Yes, I'm crazy. But we're down two. Tell Lisi to run until his legs fall off.
    3-2-2-1-2
    Walker
    Leitch, Pope, Jolley
    Ricardo, Lisi
    Gaven, Amado
    Mathis
    Woly, Magee

Doesn't look good, but my set's on. One more miracle. A Mathis hat trick and we go to Chicago with a new spirit.

2. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    That's the spirit, Vistula! A willing foe and sea room...arrrrrrrh!

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Your giving the Rev wing mids way to much room to operate. Ralston is homing saying prayers for that line up.

It's a fight to the finish, and I don't want our flanks exposed for kidney punches.

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Your giving the Rev wing mids way to much room to operate. Ralston is homing saying prayers for that line up.

It's a fight to the finish, and I don't want our flanks exposed for kidney punches.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shutdown Cancela and Noonan and you will have a very good chance. I would also try and isolate Heaps and take the play right at him. He has been playing better as of late but he is terrible against someone who has dribbling skills and not afraid to make runs at defenders

6. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    id take that line-up. im not much of a defensive analyst but i definitely want those particular strikers and mids on the field.

they really need to go all out w/an offensive barrage. winning 1-0 is the exact same thing as losing 0-12. so this is no time to be conservative. just attack like mad.
    i seriously wouldn't be surprised if we pull it off.

7. sweeper5

sweeper5 New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    With the season riding on Sunday's game and needing to win by at least 2 goals, the team must take risks. Recommended formula:

3 backs: Pope, Jolley, Leich
    3 central midfielders: Guevara, Lisi, Clark
    4 forwards: Woly (up high); Mathis (recessed); and the kids on the wings (Magee, Gaven)

The Metros must play with their back line up as high as possible and force NE to play long balls over the top rather than possession thru the midfield. This will have the added benefit of minimizing the amount of defensive chasing by the midfielders and forwards so they can use more energy to attack. The NE forwards are not very fast and should not be able to outrun Pope if we play up high. It's a little risky, but we must force a wide open attacking game to win by 2 goals or more. It could be a very exciting game.

8. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    4 forwards? Normally I would say you're fcukin nuts for even thinking about this. I wouldn't even do this on the easy level of the FIFA video game.., playing as ManU.
    But it could work! This is possibly the last game of the year, we have to win by three, and Bradley likes all of his players to be able to play some defense.
    This is crazy enough to work.

9. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

This game is either going to be very exciting or very ugly. It just depends on who can get the first goal.

NE would have to be nuts to go into a defensive shell from the start since one goal for them would likely put the series out of reach and they don't defend that well anyway. So it appears the Metro will get their chances, just like last game.

With a little luck, and god knows after hitting the woodwork twice last week they deserve it, the Metro will be playing in the conference championship.

10. soccerdad

soccerdad Member

Dec 27, 1998
    montclair nj
    Realistic best scenario is be up by one at the half, win by two, and take our chances in OT/shootout.

On that basis I keep the line up and formation pretty basic unless Revs score first or we need to score two in the final 30. Only then would I go to the "bombs away". Don't want to get caught short on counterattacks - can't let Revs score first. If we're up two after 70 I'd put in Ritchie.