Turn off scores on NWSL site?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FanOfFutbol, Aug 11, 2018.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Does anyone know how to turn off the scores on the NWSL site or how to access the full replays without seeing the scores?

I have been unable to access and watch full replays of any matches since Go90 went the way of the Dodo without seeing the score of that match before starting it.

I use a standard Windows 10 computer to watch much of the soccer that I find interesting.

Any suggestions, ideas or directions will be much appreciated.

2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone can figure it out, I'd say ask Gilmoy .

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There does not seem to be a way to jump directly to a game video only.
    This work-around will be goofy as heck :p

1. Have a sheet of opaque paper in hand.
    2. Surf to NWSL page. As it loads, hold paper over screen, leaving about a 1" gap from top of monitor visible.
    3. The clickable scores banner is at the top. Lower paper until you just first see the red "Final" words at the banner. These will be toward the left side, since the scores banner usually shows a mix of past games and future games.

Directly below the "Final" word is the score. Don't peek! :laugh:

4. The rightmost score with a red "Final" will be the most recent game. Click your mouse under that. Use paper to block off the entire page as it loads. Also, make your browser window short enough that it's only about 1/2 the height of the video window.

5. On the game page, the final score is displayed in two places:
    a) in huge font, just above where the video will load
    b) in bold small font, below the video, as the title of the recap article
    You avoid (b) by making your browser window short.
    You block (a) with your paper.

Without peeking, click in the scroll bar until the (a) block fully scrolls off the top of the screen. You can do this before the video loads, but then use your paper to block off (b) as it scrolls up.

6. When the video loads, it inserts itself between (a) and (b). Click full-screen.

You are now in the video, without having seen the score :thumbsup:

Now, this method fails if you want to look up a particular old match amidst a block of old matches, because then you don't know which red "Final" is yours.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While what you suggest would work and with a good deal of luck it would probably avoid seeing the score it is MUCH too involved and problematical to make it a reliable workaround.

I really think that if the NWSL wants itself taken seriously and they want to build a really good fan base they do not need to overlook this basic functionality.

I cannot watch the vast majority of matches live so I need to, if I want to watch any matches except for those on Lifetime, watch the matches delayed. Seeing the score ruins any suspense that could exist so that means I have to try some kludge of a workaround like you suggest and that is pretty much to me unacceptable.

I would like to watch the NWSL but I find it hard to do so with the current poorly designed website as the only way to watch the matches delayed.

There is a LOT of competing soccer available and I find it very hard to believe that the NWSL does not want to build their fan base in areas where they do not actually have teams.

I believe they need to go back to having feeds on YouTube, that actually worked quite well and it never showed spoilers like the site does, if they are unable or unwilling to fix their site.

blissett repped this.
  5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another option is to recruit another human who can use the NWSL webpage link to start the game for you. The other human will see the result, while doing this, but you won't. Then you can watch. Of course, that can be a pain too, but seems better (if there's a willing human) than Gilmoy's work around.

Otherwise, the NWSL does have a big problem.

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not really work and play well with others, particularly humans, they are so ... human. :D:ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

I thought about having my dog do it but he keeps bringing up reruns of Lassie and Rin-Tin-Tin instead of doing as I want.

You're correct the NWSL does have a problem but it should not be hard at all to fix it if they have an even half way decent web developer.

blissett and cpthomas repped this.
  7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I think the problem is with people who want to watch sports without seeing scores.

:whistling:

Were you able to watch, say, the World Cup or March madness without seeing scores?

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Most decidedly I was able to watch the World Cup without ever seeing a score before I watched it and I watched every match after it was played.

More than that I can watch MLS, NHL, MLB, NCAA soccer, Bundesliga, Premiere League, English Championship, La Liga, USL and many many more from a number of different sources without ever seeing even one score prior to watching. In fact the NWSL is the ONLY site with full game streaming videos that I have an interest in that does not either not show the scores or provide a way to turn them off.

Even when they used You Tube or Go90 you could watch every NWSL game without ever seeing the score.

Spoilers are a huge turnoff for me and many others and a very good way to alienate many potential fans and showing scores on the only way to view matches serves as quite "in your face" spoilers.

It is a very amateurish way to try to present your product and due to that it makes the NWSL look like it is run by people with no desire to actually develop women's soccer.

blissett repped this.
  9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #9 Cliveworshipper, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    You got results.

When Spain and Portugal were playing at the same time in the Third group stage game, the Spain match announcers not only gave scores, they told you who would go through if the games ended at that stage.

At one point they told you that the Spain goal was being VARed in the 92nd minute that the same thing was happening another score in the Portugal Iran game. Then they told you at the end of the game that Spain won the Group which told you that Iran and Portugal must have tied because a win by either would have meant Spain couldn’t have won the group. Not only that, but it told you Portugal and Iran scored less than three goals and Iran didn’t win because of the second tiebreaker being goals scored. In that case Spain would not have gone to the knockout stage.

You can hear some of that in the Fox highlights videos. Listen at 4:45 , for instance where they announce a Portugal-Iran score.and at about 6:45 when they announce the the Iran- Portugal score again.

They also told you about the VAR in the Portugal game that was going on at the same time as the VAR on Spain’s second goal. That isn’t in this highlight, but it is in others.

10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    understandable risk in those circumstances.

but if i chose the spain game as the most intriguing game to watch, the announcers of that game didn't (of course couldn't) display or declare the result, dissipating my interest, before the game even started.

that's what we talking about.

...and it's not an unheard of thing to turn off scores on a sports web page.

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I usually put my hand over part of my eyes or try to cross my eyes into a blur until I can just see the part where you click the video. :). Not kidding.

cpthomas, blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    And if you're stoned, you can't read the score anyways.
    So that's another strategy. :D

blissett repped this.
  13. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm nearsighted so I just take off my glasses when I go on the NWSL website to click on games.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I guess these are all very precious pieces of advice! :laugh:

15. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I use a userScript that I made and Tampermonkey (it is an extension/add-on for Chrome and Firefox). You have to look away for a few seconds while the page loads (or don't look at the scores at the top), since that data gets pulled in after the page loads, so it takes a sec for the scores to get cleared out of that.

Code:
    // ==UserScript==
    // @name        Hide NWSL Scores
    // @namespace   HNS
    // @description Hides the scores shown on the NWSL website
    // @include     /^https?://www\.nwslsoccer\.com/.*$/
    // @require     https://gist.github.com/raw/2625891/waitForKeyElements.js
    // @version     1
    // @grant       none
    // ==/UserScript==

function actionFunction() {
      $('#scorebar-wrap').find('.score').each(function() {
          $(this).css('display', 'none');
      });
    }

$('body').find('.score').each(function() {
      $(this).css('display', 'none');
    });

$('.game-details-tabs').css('display', 'none');
    $('#game-details').css('display', 'none');

waitForKeyElements ("#scorebar-wrap .slick-track", actionFunction);

sitruc, cpthomas, FanOfFutbol and 3 others repped this.
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    @holden Thank you very very much. It works flawlessly for me on FireFox.

Now I can view NWSL videos without jumping through hoops or having the results spoiled by knowing the results before watching.

Again thank you.

blissett repped this.