Turlock Express

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by JDogindy, Feb 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can somebody explain why on Earth Turlock is still in the league? The team cannot compete whatsoever on a financial or competitive level against the rest of the league, plays in a youth sports complex, and is in and of itself an anomaly, location-wise. They wouldn't even fit in MASL 2.

I'm not trying to knock the league for having them, but I am knocking the team for existing, especially considering that their attendance figures do hinder the league somewhat.

2. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Turlock is in the league because of cost containment. They save Tacoma, San Diego, and Ontario travel costs with the division-heavy schedule. Turlock can also make road trips without folding along the way. I don't consider them an anomaly location-wise because there are teams in the same timezone as they are. It's not like they're the Edmonton Drillers in the NPSL.

I would like for there to a fourth team in the Pacific that would be a competitive team, but the reality is that there isn't. And for that, I'm thankful there is Turlock to help the bigger teams in the division.

Turlock is a relic of the rec league era. There are no Turlocks in the other divisions, but those divisions have found teams that can meet a higher standard. If a bubble of teams bursts, you'll probably end up seeing more Turlock-like teams.

SteveCo and kenntomasch repped this.
  3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are still in the league for all those reasons stated above, plus:

They still want to be in the league; and
    The league is not in a position to nudge them down or out just yet

You are trying to come at this from a rational perspective, JDog. Indoor has not operated rationally in many moons

SteveCo repped this.
  4. JmThms

JmThms Member

Jul 6, 2015
    I saw the San Diego game against Turlock the other night. Turlock players do look like the rec players I've played against. I don't think I would feel too out of place playing with those guys.

SteveCo repped this.
  5. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Strictly on appearances alone they have a half dozen guys who are way too fat to be on a professional field.

SteveCo repped this.
  6. JmThms

JmThms Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Yea there was one guy in particular that was too fat. Looks like some of the rec players I play with.

7. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Why does MASL keep Turlock in the league. Is there any value whatsoever to have them?

Are they providing any revenue to the league?

Are they helping this league become relevant?

My Alma Mater which is a small NAIA school in the Midwest has an intramural league that plays more attractive indoor soccer.

WTF???!

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they likely have no procedural way to remove a member who is not delinquent on league fees or has not done anything egregiously against the bylaws.

They could mandate certain standards and stick to them, that oughta do it. But they don't.

SteveCo repped this.
  9. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These days, the words 'standards' and 'indoor soccer' are an oxymoron. The MASL is similar to the NFL in the way they only follow or enforce bylaws or rules when they feel like it, and ignore them when convenient. Agreed that Turlock should not exist in MASL but for everything explained above and previously, they will continue to be the Washington Generals for the western teams. Fortunately there are not as many of these garbage teams in the MASL as there were in 2014.

10. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Oh well, I just hope this league survives and starts to grow. Wouldn’t take a ton of money to get it on track. Just get one of the billionaires to pump some of their pocket change into the league. Maybe 100 million over 5 years to market and shore up the leagues leadership.

SteveCo repped this.
  11. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were a billionaire, I might invest a million dollars in indoor soccer, but I don't think my teacher's salary could support a team. Heck, indoor soccer players probably make more than me!

12. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    They do provide needed revenue to the league and they complete the Pacific Division.

If you've followed the league for the last several years you'll notice the few teams they've added have mostly been duds so it's not like they can be easily upgraded.

13. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1141786515128901633 is not a valid tweet id

Turlock no like me. I no know why.

(Okay, I pointed out how embarrassing a few performances they put on during the season.)

SteveCo repped this.
  14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Derek Huffman claims that is actually worth four blocks.

firesting81, SteveCo and JDogindy repped this.