Post-match: Tummy Rumble in the Bronx - Crew @ NYCFC - Match 15 - 6/14/24 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Jun 11, 2024.

Tags:
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 6/11/24 match vs NYCFC?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2024.
  1. Win by two or more goals

18.8%
  2. Win by one goal

27.1%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

22.9%
  4. Lose by one goal

16.7%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

2.1%
  6. Mucho Cucho — Cucho scores 2+ goals (worth 2 points!!)

10.4%
  7. "Don't drink the water.” - Christian Ramirez

2.1%
  1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It was Bob's debut after Nee's long delayed firing. There was a bus trip to the game, which turned into the doubleheader under card for Real and Chivas. Real had several Ballon D'Or winners on the field plus Raul, Beckham, Casillas, Raul, etc. Figo and fat Ronaldo were good but Zidane was dominant.

GoCrew1996 repped this.
  2. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I got to meet Roberto Carlos at the Nike store because he was there the day before just shopping for himself. Nobody even knew who he was except me. I have a picture in my parents house somewhere. He was built like a tiny brick shit house

CrewDuff, TrueCrew, POdinCowtown and 2 others repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Cucho there reminds me of one of my favorite sports descriptions, said years ago by a truly gifted writer describing Manny Ramirez taking the field:

"The effortless trot of the elite athlete"

They sort of resemble us in the same way that a chimpanzee does, but we're simply not the same species.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #280 KCbus, Jun 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    As long as I’m advancing unpopular opinions here, let me use last night’s second half as a chance to pitch what some people will call a Pandora’s Box idea: The stadium clock should stop for certain types of stoppages.

I’m not trying to radically alter the sport here. I’m not saying referees shouldn’t continue to control stoppage time for injury, substitutions, general foot-dragging or cards. Nor am I saying the clock should stop every time the ball goes out of play.

But if there’s a VAR check where the referee goes to the monitor, the stadium clock should stop as soon as the ref draws the imaginary TV in the air. And restarts once he blows the whistle with his decision. If it’s a day where there are pre-planned water breaks, there’s no point in continuing to run the clock while they’re happening.

The amount of stoppage time that is being added these days renders the actual clock almost meaningless. The whole point of having a visible clock is to know what stage of the match you’re in. It also makes stat-keeping much more representative of reality in terms of how many minutes players log, or what time of matches big events occur. Hearing about stoppage time winners is a lot less impressive when stoppage time is 15% of the damn game now.

Plus, even though I think last night’s 14 was shocking, I do think it was relatively accurate. It just didn’t seem like it at first because by the time we hit 90, the first VAR delay was so long ago, a lot of people had probably forgotten about it. But those big numbers increase the likelihood that major events occur in stoppage time, which enables complaints and controversy which can easily be avoided.

It’s not like there isn’t some basis for this. If a match goes for five minutes, and then gets delayed by a thunderstorm for two hours, we don’t come back with 125:00 showing and a 4th official announces 40 minutes of stoppage time.

TRUJDUB21, Kryptonite, TyphonInc and 2 others repped this.
  6. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Watched the first half. Rossi and Arfsten, while not notching a goal, were very very good for the team, holding the ball and drawing players toward them. Arfsten was a perfect choice for a narrow and short field. Yaw would have been struggling to have an effect on the game.

TrueCrew repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the *real* Yankee Stadium. Heck, it's not even on the same spot.

eboe and CybrSlydr repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's right next door. The House That Ruth Built is long gone.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The f**k do I care? I’m a Mets fan. :)

10. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Haha yall ain’t done nothing since 86 what a horrible franchise.

11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the h3ll is wrong with you? How did that happen?

CybrSlydr and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LI transplant. Lived there until I was 8. It's also why I have roots (faded) in Islander Nation, and why I'm embarrassed by the Jets.

13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I learned long ago that the New York teams that rhyme—Mets, Jets, and Nets—all have consistent histories of suckitude.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's The House Next Door to the House That Ruth Built.

Bill Archer repped this.
  15. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rugby does this with their running clock. Major disruptions -- injury, VAR, and other what have yous -- will result in the official saying game clock paused. It gives people a good chance to reset, make sure they conduct a good review, or solicit a good explanation for a call.

16. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Houses That the Georges Built.

LaMacchia repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch a lot of rugby. Well, I watch what little of it shows up on my TV package. And they do it well. But that honestly isn't why I'm proposing what I am. Although maybe it's subconsciously influencing me.

When the concept of stoppage time was first introduced (whenever the hell that was), it was understood that every once in a while there would be a catastrophic event or a physical issue with the playing surface that would result in a long stoppage, and you'd get a big number. (Although showing the number is actually a relatively new concept as well, that only started in the mid-90s, if I'm not mistaken.) Fine. But the sport has evolved to the point where some matches have built-in stoppages (water breaks), and they never could have imagined that TV would be so important to the sport that we would actually have four-minute delays while we examined film. So many things about the game have evolved over the years; we can't figure out how to accurately portray time?

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. If the clock says 88:02, but the refs are looking at adding 10 minutes, is it closer to the 89th or the 79th?

Stop it for water breaks and VAR. Considering "official time is kept on the referee's wristwatch" then why not stop the scoreboard clock?

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruth’s Neighbor’s House?

LaMacchia repped this.
  20. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only problem with that explanatory theory is those names don't rhyme with "Metrostars" / "Red Bulls."
    ;)

TKyle repped this.
  21. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They still didn't do anything, Bill Buckner did it all for them. ;):ROFLMAO:

kgilbert78, TRUJDUB21 and Robbo Crewfan repped this.