Tulsa World article without MLS typos...

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by USRufnex, Aug 31, 2002.

1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Once again, to access the article at www.tulsaworld.com, it'll cost ya' so here are some unbiased highlights...

City needs stadium to get rolling in soccer

by Randy Krehbiel, World Staff Writer

--Mayor Bill LaFortune is pushing an effort to build an arena and find local investors.

"A suitable stadium - or lack thereof - seems to be the biggest obstacle to a Tulsa entry in Major League Soccer."
    "The same shortcoming that cost the city a founding MLS franchise eight years ago emerged as the overriding question Thursday as city and league officials met with potential investors in a proposed expansion team."

Article mentions a visit by LaFortune to Miller Park in Milwaukee "which has a lightweight retractable roof..."

The article mentions the usual MLS requirements: 20-25,000 seat stadiums with grass fields "generally about 120 yards long and 75 yards wide."

"LaFortune said he was confident that local investors can be found, and that the league's requirement that 7,500 season tickets be sold in advance can also be met."

"MLS president Mark Abbott said the league planned to grow eventually to 16 teams from the current 10, addiing the first 2 expansion franchises in 2004 or 2005."

Once again, officials refused to compare Tulsa with other interested cities (incl. OKC). The article ended with some explanination of single-entity.

QUOTES FROM Mayor LaFortune:

"The real challenge is a commitment to build a soccer-specific stadium that can also be used for many other things. I believe Tulsans are ready to do something like this. This is the best opportunity we have to become a major league city."

"Tulsa needs to decide if we want this for our own quality of life."

QUOTES FROM MLS President Mark Abbott:

"What we like about Tulsa is that it is a community that has a vision for growth."

"We are also very impressed with the strength of the soccer commumnity here. Third, we are ooking for a mix of market sizes, and Tulsa fits into that."

oh, and one more quote I almost forgot about from the article: "... a stadium site near downtown Tulsa is favored, but LaFortune said other sites were under consideration."

Boo-yah right back at ya benine... local politics pure and simple... that stadium's just as likely to be built at the fairgrounds as the Brady district...

Next few weeks: Dueling feasability studies in Edmond and Tulsa...

NEWS AT 11... :)

2. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Okay, I had a couple of typos... but I'm happy that Krehbiel's article didn't--not a single mentioning of "MSL" or "the MLS"... like the last article(s) which had MSL half the time and "the MLS" the other half... kudos...

3. Laramie4OKC

Laramie4OKC New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Let's not get on that level!

The worst thing that can happend to Oklahoma City and Tulsa is that this MLS competition turns into a dueling match.

I already see that the volcanoes under these two cities are ready to erupt on this board alone and I wouldn't want to have to choose between the two.

I have faith in Tulsa because it is a beautiful city that has had a lasting impression on me when I lived there. There is no comparing Oklahoma City and Tulsa when it comes to a cosmopolitan atsmophere; however, that attitude Tulsans possessed is what returned me to Oklahoma City.

The MLS representative saw a Tulsa plan with vision; while you're talking vision, I hate to remind you, Oklahoma City is living it:

[​IMG]

The newly completed NHL-NBA quality Ford Center (foreground) which seats 19,675 for basketball and 18,174 for hockey has 60 luxury suites and 3,380 club seats is poised to take Oklahoma City to the next level in indoor sports.

Oklahoma City continues her face lift with overwhelming voters support which has triggered private development like this city has never seen.

[​IMG]
    Oklahoma City's Bricktown Canal with r/l Bricktown 54 Club (Clock Tower) and SBC Bricktown Ball Park in the background is spawning with future development prospects.

Bricktown Enterntainment District's sprawl has been a result of Oklahoma City voters massive support of city initiatives over the last 10 years resulting in $1.2 billion in voter approved projects and the domino effect puts additional private investments projected to exceed $2 billion by 2006 as this city begins its boom.

If and when MLS comes to Oklahoma, it will have my support. I just hope this phase of MLS expansion doesn't leave Oklahoma City and Tulsa too beaten up for one to support the other.

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i don't know if i have ever heard that 7500 season ticket requirement before

5. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    I was confused about that too. I don't think anyone in OKC/Edmond has mentioned a requirement like that.

I found it interesting that the article implies that the only thing that kept Tulsa from getting a charter franchise for 1996 was the stadium issues... didn't realize T-Town was THAT close the first time around.

I DO know that part of that original proposal included a BIG number of guaranteed season ticket holders-- rumored to be the same kinds of numbers Columbus offered... I think maybe MLS wants to make sure Tulsa commits to the same kinds of offers that made the city a contender for a franchise the first time around.

After all, MLS needed to be in some of the largest markets (NYC, LA, Chicago) whether any effort was made for a season ticket drive. I'd guess in a small/midsize city like Tulsa, up front season ticket commitments would be a MUST to show league officials they could guarantee fan support.

6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: Let's not get on that level!

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i wonder how each city would potentially deal with supporter sections

8. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, Segroves could be a one-man supporter section in Edmond... seemed like there were quite a few younger curious parties at the meeting Tuesday... I could definitely see a "college crowd" turn into a supporter section at a new Wantland Stadium on campus in Edmond.

Tulsa had the South EndZone "Pepper Patch" for NASL games but it wasn't the same type of "supporter section" you think of in Chicago and DC... those were the days of Crazy George beating his drums and aerosol horns... even "the wave" was too much to ask...

Both cities will rely on alot of parents bringing their kids and the contingent of youth teams with their coaches... each city has a decent hispanic population, but I don't know how many or even if they'd identify with the new team...

Don't think there'll be Ultras in Tulsa or Edmond but between all the bigsoccer posters here I think somebody's very likely to start one (hint, hint)...

9. Laramie4OKC

Laramie4OKC New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Re: Re: Let's not get on that level!

10. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree that at some point, Tulsa and Mayor Savage gave up on MLS. That downtown track/aquatic thingy posing as a bond issue speaks volumes.

But I'd betcha a shiny new Indiana quarter that MLS officials contacted Tulsa during that first expansion to see if Tulsa could come to MLS's terms (truth is... nobody knows anything one way or the other)...

Once again, somewhere between speculous rumor and the unknown lies THE TRUTH...

Hypothesis: Lamar Hunt comes to Tulsa to see the TU/SMU football game (Hunt's an SMU alum). Upon catching the local news at his hotel, he notices that Mayor Susan Savage is retiring... "hmmmm, he thinks," twisting his Snidley Whiplash/Frito Bandito mustache "...a new Tulsa mayor? Spendid! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!" So, in April/May, MLS officials come to court Tulsa, hoping the new administration will be more open to the possibility of financing a stadium, esp. in the wake of possible renewed interest after the World Cup. OKC Express Sports Prez Brad Lund (who used to work in the Roughnecks office back in the day) finds out about this, discusses the possibilities with Bob Funk and convinces the MLS official to come to OKC and gives him the prerequisite tour of bricktown. He notifies the media, leaves a message on Mayor Humphries voicemail and PRESTO! OKC's a prime candidate for expansion... yes, folks, that's what I mean when I say "Johnny-come-lately"... anyways, after running into a predictable roadblock at City Hall, Brad comes across the Edmond possiblities. UCO and Edmond Public Schools want to expand Wantland Stadium to 15,000 ANYWAY!

So, while Tulsa officials wine and dine with Hunt in Columbus, Lund is negotiating with the UCO Prez, Edmond Chamber of Commerce, the mayor and other city officials. Suddenly Tulsa officials realize they need to "get on the stick" sooner rather than later...

LARAMIE: For the last time, LaFortune sounds much more like he was actually sold on the idea of getting an MLS team than trying to "outdo" OKC... GET OVER IT!... I haven't heard anyone from Tulsa suggesting that Brad Lund was jealous and trying to "outdo" Tulsa by co-opting/derailing its possible bid... I will take what both parties say at face value for now...

sometimes a duck is just a duck, ya know...

It's also INTERESTING to note that Tulsa may have been 6 months ahead at some point earlier due to previous interest... the above news article states that the stadium issue was the only reason Tulsa was not awarded one of the original franchises in MLS (can OKC say the same?). Tulsa officials have quoted the $30 mil for Columbus Crew Stadium... someone asked at the end of the meeting in Edmond about a guess as to the possible cost of the new stadium... that question was completely sidestepped...

...DAMMIT, I've only been in OKC a couple of months since moving from Tulsa and I misplaced my "HIGH SOCIETY GLAMOUR!" Can someone tell me where I left it?... "...where, o where r-u too-naaht?... why did you leave me here all uh-lone?" (bigsoccer note: this is an obscure reference to "Hee-haw")

By the way, I really don't give a rat's ass about the Ford Center... a proposed MLS team wouldn't play there... in fact, once again, we are stuck talking about OKC on a Tulsa message thread about a team that will play 20 miles north of OKC in Edmond.... guess what? if a stadium was proposed for Broken Arrow, I don't think benine would still be posting pix of the Brady district (well, we can't REALLY be sure of that, can we?)...

Gee, maybe the Houston, Seattle, Detroit threads could use some good pix of downtown OKC... oh, but you've saved your best for Tulsa... isn't that special...

And that "attitude" isn't just Tulsa's... unlike the streets in downtown Tulsa and OKC... IT RUNS BOTH WAYS!... if I'd a-heard one more friggin' fair-weather Sooner redneck on Fri. afternoon's "Sports Animal" call for Tulsa Univ to go to Div I-AA and predict a 34-0 halftime score, I woulda checked myself into the local VOMITARIUM here... (I got better when it was only 3-0 at half)...

Hmmm... as for the rhinestone/diamond comparison, I've never heard Tulsa compared to the entire state of Texas before... I thought Texas was a "whole 'nuther country"... and who needs Rhinestones anyway when you know we sh** gold!

11. Laramie4OKC

Laramie4OKC New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Oklahoma City, OK
    USRufnex:

USRufnex:

You are hilarious!

I must admit that if Tulsa is doing a lot of behind the scenes and closed door activity that's great!

I'm probably not aware of how this whole situation came about and it may very well be that Oklahoma City did come on the scene lately. It didn't appear to me that way at first; however, you've been following this situation probably a lot longer than I have.

If that's that case, I hope Tulsa gets an MLS franchise. I know they were one of the original cities to apply and MLS basically opted for the larger markets.

[​IMG]

Tulsa will definitely get my support!

12. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    Re: USRufnex:

the onlly thing that i say in this moment is: OKclahoma State definitely get my support...

13. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm leaning my Support towards Boise City, Oklahoma..

They need to take the Sport to the farthest reaches of the Oklahoma Panhandle.

14. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    where??????

15. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Boise City, OK... population 1509
    Guymon, OK... population 10459

...Guymon's pop. based on figures from the 2000 census... Boise City's based on 1990 census since everybody here in Guymon knows Boise City's about 10 years behind the times... traditionally, Boise City has always regarded itself as the more "cosmopolitan" of the 2 cities :)

MLS NEEDS TO BE IN GUYMON... MOVE SAN JOSE NOW...

16. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    hehehehehe

17. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    KOTV Channel 6 site

3 articles come up when you do a search using "MLS" or "soccer" as a keyword on:

www.kotv.com

8/30- Tulsa officials to scout stadium sites

8/28- Oklahoma has a good chance of landing professional soccer team
    the same Edmond story from ap and the Daily Oklahoman

8/27- Tulsa working on a soccer win for the city

This is a FREE site with no need to register!

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Re: Re: KOTV Channel 6 site

Tulsa counts Texans as "immigrants." Where as Texas categorizes those who move to Tulsa as "traitors."

19. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    More FRONT PAGE news...

More stuff today:

Tulsa World
    9/4/02

A study eyed for soccer

by Curtis Killman

"The City Council is considering allocation of up to $100,000 for a study on the feasibility of locating a Major Leaue Soccer franchise in Tulsa."

This would be done by a Dallas-based group and may be financed by the 1985 Sales Tax Economic Development Fund, a fund that would have to be repaid if a stadium is not built in an "economically depressed" area...
    $900,000 in this fund but it must be spent "on projects that would target downtown" "... or land north of Admiral Boulevard and portions of west Tulsa."

$100,000 goes to Tulsa Metro Chamber of Commerce... Dallas group (CSL) already did "recent soccer-related feasability studies" in "Kansas City, MO.; McKinney, TX; and Winston-Salem, N.C."

"...the study will take about 60 days to complete."

"City officials have already identified two downtown sites as potential locations for a stadium."

"Councilor Bill Christiansen said he was 'not completely sold' on the notion of building a stadium downtown. The stadium could be better used if located in other areas, possibly south Tulsa, Christiansen said."

Yesterday, I heard the very end of a radio interview with Mayor LaFortune who likes the idea of a retractable roof for the stadium and the idea of making sure it is multi-purpose.

Already the usual suspects are "chiming in" on pg. A2's CALL THE EDITOR

"Good roads first; then soccer"

"I do not want a soccer stadiu for Tulsa before Tulsa gives me decent roads to drive on. This is ridiculous. Their priorities are screwed up. How can you get industry and people to come here when the roads are like washboards? This city has really gone downhill since I came here 28 years ago."

"Opposes tax for soccer"

"No new taxes for this soccer stadium."

GONNA BE AN INTERESTING NEXT 60 DAYS!

20. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: Re: KOTV Channel 6 site

21. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    ... forgot one...
    only able to preview it since I couldn't find Monday's paper...

Tulsa World Editorial
    9/2/02

Tulsa surely needs "something"

"Hopefully, Oklahoma City will not beat us to the punch getting a Major League Soccer team. The best way for the state to get two major league teams would be for Tulsa to get the soccer team, and Oklahoma City to get either NBA or NHL. It seems MLS would preer Tulsa, because of the past..."

--remainder of article will, of course, cost you $5 at www.tulsaworld.com

The clock is ticking on PUT UP OR SHUT UP TIME...

22. Laramie4OKC

Laramie4OKC New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Build a stadium:

It would definitely be to Tulsa's advantage not to divulge an ownership group until they can get the stadium on the ballot and past the voters.

Express Sports has taken their plans to the media, Tulsa is working undercover. Tulsa just may get there first.

Does anyone know whatever happened to the 66,000-seat Oklahoma Dome that was proposed for Tulsa when the old United States (high school) Football League flew over the cuckos nest (Skelly Stadium).

And in all fairness, does anyone know whatever happened to the 75,000-seat Okladome that was proposed for Oklahoma City back in the early 80s.

Mayor LaFortune and the family name is one that is very prominent in Tulsa and with a lot of credibility, much like former Mayor Norick in Oklahoma City who was to be one of the potential owners of an NHL expansion franchise. He was able to get an NHL quality arena past the voters in 1993 and later revealed his part interest in being a future NHL group owner. Is Mayor LaFortune or his family planning on being an MLS investor(?), because if he is, it definitely won't fly past skeptical Tulsa voters.

You would think that a high tech white collar Tulsa would have approved a penny sales tax by now. I know there's got to be some new money circulating in T-Town.

In the last 10 years, Oklahoma City has approved $325 million for MAPS; $200 million in bonds for infrastructure; $240 million in bonds for police, fire, streets and parks, $500 million sales tax MAPS for KIDS and $200 million property tax bonds in MAPS for KIDS that's a $1.4 billion in tax increases over a 10 year period. Come on Tulsa, are you penny pitchers going to continue to put up with your big ugly low blue collar class sister (Oklahoma City) kicking your a$$? A penny can make you and certainly is not going to break you!

An Ode to Tulsa voters

A sales tax voters will cast?
    A penny that Tulsans will trash?
    A LaFortune to few
    Any ole tax will do
    You can bet that this vote won't pass!

Putting all kidding aside, Tulsa will pass its next MAPS (bundled projects) style project and this would be the time to include an MLS stadium.

Tulsa has a chance to again go one up on Oklahoma City in sports.

You are correct, an MLS franchise for Tulsa would be great, because eventually OKC will be courting the NHL or NBA.

If Tulsa doesn't beat Oklahoma City to MLSLand; Oklahoma City will mirror Columbus and end up with both MLS and NHL or NBA. Magic owner DeVos, whose family owns the Orlando Magic are getting tired and weary in their efforts to get a facility built in Orlando whose city fathers say they AIN'T building a new arena for the NBA Orlando Magic. The DeVos family was unsuccessful in their efforts a few years ago to get the IHL Kansas City Blades relocated to Oklahoma Cty. The Magic however is a different story.

Edward L. Gaylord has gotten rid of his interest in the NHL Nashville Predators and will be free to purchase the team or any NHL team outright. Why would he want to purchase the Predators? Your guess is a good a mind. You see, the first NHL or NBA team to call Oklahoma City home will be given free rent in a debt free facility.

Now, why can't we build another debt free facility in Bricktown for MLS. All of our sports teams are playing in debt free facilities. If Tulsa doesn't get MLS, Oklahoma City will eventually have a home in Bricktown.

23. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    It's going to be a helluva debate since..

Those anti-tax "roads only" folks will turn the whole bond issue as a referendum on a "stupid soccer stadium" while...

Those in favor will point to Oklahoma City and milk the fact that a team would locate there and never be in Tulsa unless a stadium is built...

The thing I find surprising is how much LaFortune is putting his own administration at stake over this. Of course, after the $100,000 feasblilty study, that could give him an out and say... "just kidding, Tulsa... I never really liked soccer anyway." I just am surprised to see a republican Tulsa mayor stick his neck out so early in his term...

I'm headed out to Chicago tomorrow and will be there the next 2 weeks. You know, mid morning and late afternoon is a good time to try AM740 which gets good reception in OKC... Ehrling's had that morning show forever and Wes Minter had a nice little interview with LaFortune this week... hmmm... "stadium with a retractible roof?"... maybe Tulsans will vote for a roof-only project :)

24. Laramie4OKC

Laramie4OKC New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Be up front with the voters...

If Mayor LaFortune just plain and simple tell the voters what Tulsa needs and without all the hype, Tulsa will vote it in. On the otherhand, Tulsa is the wrong city to be pulling hidden agendas.

Mayor Norick was very successful with Oklahoma City MAPS project by keeping his task force working behind the scenes and stating plain and simply what the city needed.

Mayor LaFortune appear to be headed in the right direction. Mayor Norick of OKC handled the success of MAPS through this process:

EXCERPTS from Oklahoma Today magazine: "City on the Verge--July/August 2000.

Though Norick announced to the public that he had formed the committee, he insisted that none of the meetings be public, a move that instantly fueled outrage and cries of city corruption. "From the very beginning I was criticized for taking this process behind closed doors... ...I knew that a project like MAPS could never be developed in a public forum. We needed to brainstorm without fear that our every word would end up on the front page."

...Later that year, the committee hired Rick Horrow, a Florida-based sonsultant who had advised other cities on the construction of sports, cultural, and convention facilities.

After months of secrecy, Norick finally revealed to the public what the task force had been up to.

Another top priority was to repair the Myriad Convention Center, crucial to the city's tourism business. And in the summer of 1993, threats of moving the '89ers to another city got the ballpark on the list.

For weeks, Norick and other city leaders visited any civic group, any neighborhood meeting, anyone who would listen to his spiel about why Oklahoma City needed MAPS. He didn't have the spark of a visionary, no wild gleam in his eye. Instead, Norick spoke with a matter-of-fact seriousness about MAPS. "We made it very simple," Norick say. "it was either a yes or no for the city's future.

Simplicity worked... ...Oklahoma City voters said yes to the most ambitious public works project in its history.

But by 1998, some voters were ready for open revolt, angry over news that funding for MAPS had ended up $10 million short. City officials floated an idea of extending the sales tax for an additional six months past its December 31,1998 expiration... ...an idea almost nobody supported until opening of baseball season. "When people saw the quality of the ballpark, it changed everything...###

[​IMG]
    Southwestern Bell Bricktown Ballpark, Oklahoma City.

I have a good feeling that Tulsa will pass its bundled projects this time. If you want to build a great MLS stadium; then do so. The voters in Tulsa are ready!