Tulsa vs. OKC

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by Nacional Tijuana, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been to OK in my life, but my uncle went to TU, and I know that's where the Roughnecks wwere from. I'm just curious about the candidacy of OK. Seems like there has been no news regarding an MLS franchise here. I'm just curious, does the bigger OKC have a case for a franchise, or is this effort completely centered around Tulsa?

2. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    From what I understand there was a group in Tulsa and on in OKC both looking to bring MLS to Oklahoma. I think but I could be mistaken, that the group from Tulsa now owns DC United and the group from OKC was Express Sports which shifted its interest to the NBA. As of now I dont believe there is a serious push for an MLS team from any potential ownership groups.
    I think either city could support a MLS team, I know if a team was given to OKC I would go down there for matches and I expect that if Tulsa got a team people from the OKC area would come up here as well.
    As far as Tulsa is concerned I believe that it depends on what happens with the Drillers (the minor league baseball team). right now there is a battle between Jenks (a suburb) of Tulsa and Downtown Tulsa for a new ballpark. I predict that whoever dosnt get the Drillers will then try to get an MLS side.

Thus to sum things up there are three potential plans that could turn into a bid for an MLS club:

1- Downtown Tulsa if Jenks gets the Drillers

2- Tulsa landing if that group still goes through with its river development plan after the failed tax and;

3- Jenks, if Tulsa comes up with a plan to keep the Drillers in Tulsa either in downtown or along the river.

3. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was some talk a few years ago about pursuing an MLS franchise in the OKC area. It centered around Wantland Stadium, on the campus of UCO in Edmond. The stadium went through an initial phase of renovation which included:
    1. Putting down SportTurf
    2. Increasing the seating capacity
    3. Major renovation to the sound/video system.
    4. Major expansion of the Pressbox

There WERE plans to have a 2nd phase of expansion which would increase the capacity to over 20K IF an MLS team were procured. Obviously they haven't gone ahead with that.
    There were a couple of very well attended exhibition games over the last few years at Wantland. BUT, this past year there was an exhibition game, but it was held at the OU Women's Soccer stadium!?!? Not sure why it wasn't in Edmond.

4. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game in Norman was there for the Saturn Cup. It was a seperate exhibition thing. The first Saturn Cup was in 2005 inside Moore Stadium. Not sure if it will keep being an annual thing.

However, on the MLS in Edmond thing, an ownership group didn't materialize because the league was losing too much money at the time. Some people have since talked about a USL team as an alternative, but right now it's just that.

5. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to have a USL team in OKC. I used to go to the Oklahoma City Slickers games. We haven't had anything here since then. It was always fun, especially when the Slickers played the Roughnecks. Bring on the USL!!!

6. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard more talk about putting a teams in both OKC and Tulsa. Apparently the league is looking at them for USL1. Likely, one would get USL-1 then the other would get PDL unless both sites can get solid ownership. I think they both could support it.