Tulio and Nakazawa?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by ecuafutbolfreak, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Hey guys. First, I am a huge fan of Japan futbol. The best in Asia no doubt and if they can keep the stars healthy and they keep progressing, they have potential to be dark horses at the next world cup no doubt about it.

But my question is in regards to the former central pairing of Tulio and Nakazawa. These guys were rocks for Japan at South Africa. I was wondering if anyone can answer if we will ever see these guys back in the national team?

2. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    Probably not, Zaccheroni hasn't been calling them and it doesn't seems like he will do it at all.

3. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Maybe Tulio as one of the OA-players in the Olympic squad.

4. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I hope that both of these two great defenders will be in NT for the Olympic Games.. they deserve it!

5. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Member

May 2, 2011
    USA_Nago-Shi
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yoshida and Konno are good defenders(Yoshida is SLOWLY getting better) but, they can't lock down even mediocre strikers or guys with height. Tim Cahill was giving our defense fits during the asian cup and he was banged up. Imagine when we have to play a well rounded team with genuine striking options, a good European team(Holland, Russia, France, Italy, etc.) that is physical. I jsut don't see any of those guys locking the top or even mid level attacking options down. Nakazawa and Tulio are just what we need, 2 big, tall, and nasty defenders that can inflict fear and a toll on those that enter the box.

6. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Member

May 2, 2011
    USA_Nago-Shi
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yoshida and Konno are good defenders(Yoshida is SLOWLY getting better) but, they can't lock down even mediocre strikers or guys with height. Tim Cahill was giving our defense fits during the asian cup and he was banged up. Imagine when we have to play a well rounded team with genuine striking options, a good European team(Holland, Russia, France, Italy, etc.) that is physical. I jsut don't see any of those guys locking the top or even mid level attacking options down. Nakazawa and Tulio are just what we need, 2 big, tall, and nasty defenders that can inflict fear and a toll on those that enter the box.

7. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Another very poor display by the two defenders. I´m not talking about konno´s goal or any other effort but the defensive ones.

Way too slow to closing the gap on the tajik players... terrible job clearing the ball from the area... running to cover the same spot at the same time... well, even the commentators were getting tired of saying the same thing again and again... "too slow".. "too much space". this is the very basics of football defending and they are doing a terrible job.

What impress me the most is that we have an italian coach who is complacent with this!!

8. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Good to see people not overreacting.

9. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Hi guys. I'll take our ecuadorean friend's premise and apply it to a furthermore unlikely call-up (yet still wanted to read your general take on it):

I read pre-worldcup that he was hoping to be at South Africa but, as we know, didn't make it. 32 now, 34 by the time the World Cup takes place. I have watched S-pulse all season long, but do you reckon he is not fit enough, nowadays? Not even as an experienced backup, considering he could play anywhere in the midfield?

I understand the need to nurture new talents but I don't understand cutting players legs as soon as they reach 31 (although Endo is stil a regular and Nakamura K. played today).

So... will Ono ever get called-up again?

Thank you.

10. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Nakazawa and Ono will never be called up again. I think Tulio will be starting in Brazil next to Konno.

11. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    It depends on which tactics Japan takes.
    They were very successful in the South Africa WC, because Japan fought all games defensively.

If we play aggressively, I mean, if we have large space behind the back line, I'm really scared of using such slow runners as Tulio and Nakazawa, because while they are very strong when facing forward, very weak when running toward their own goal.

12. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I really appreciate your answers. Yet, I was searching more for a short story long, i.e., if Zaccheroni was ever questioned about it, or simply why you think he doesn't fit or why such return just wouldn't be adequate.

Once again, thank you.

13. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ono? There's no word about Zac ever mentioned him. Last time he was called up was 2008, he's 32, and while he's probably the best player Japan ever had in terms of technical abilities (imo), after winning the UEFA Cup with Feyenoord, is so injury-prone that it probably makes no sense to build a NT-team around him (he never played a central role in the NT when I recall correct). Also consider that midfield is traditionally the department where we have many talents - compared to the CB-positions for instance.

14. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I see. Thank you for your reply sc-f.

Doesn't anyone want to weigh in? Or is that it?

I appreciate it.

15. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Haha we can only pray to god for this.

16. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    To add to what sc-f said, in my opinion, Ono is still a great footballer but no longer a great player...if that makes any sense.

17. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Thank you for the answers.

nsato, I think I know what you mean. Care to elaborate further, though?

18. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hmm it's difficult to explain but i'll try.

I still think he's fantastic with the ball at his feet and still has great vision but he's half the player he can be unless someone gives him the ball perfectly to his feet or someone makes the proper runs for him. I don't think he's that great anymore once you get physical with him and press him hard.

I bet he's unplayable in training because training in Japan is much less physical and pace is also slower than matches unlike in other continents where training can be more intense than the matches.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that he's fantastic by himself, but when other players get involved (both teammates and opponents), he's not as good unless it's in a tight area where you can get out of trouble by technique alone.

Do you know Ienaga? He is another player I would classify as a fantastic footballer but not a great player.

Players like Hasebe and Okazaki are to an extent the opposite. They aren't that great of a footballer but they are great players.

19. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Thank you, nsato

I see how fitness can be a problem. Yet, playing alongside Hasebe and Endo in a 4-3-3, with his experience and intelligence in terms of midfield play, pass interception and overall breaking of opposite play, aside from the capability of turning any recovered ball instantly into a counter-attack or a 1x1 situation... Well, I see, maybe he just isn't physically capable of that anymore.

I reckon it's probably the fear or even certainty he wouldn't be able to commit tactically