Tryouts

Discussion in 'Player' started by doctor_mooch, Apr 6, 2011.

1. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Simple question, i have tryouts in about a month and i was wondering what would be the better way to approach it. I play center mid, but i can play holding mid, box to box or attacking. So at the tryouts, do you guys think it would be more beneficial to play holding mid and play simple, like just solid passing, jockeying, etc... box to box where its kinda like iniesta, where he can play the simple passing game, but when space opens up, take the dribble, or attacking and just try to dribble and play killer passes all the time? Like what would you want to see as an assessor? Knowing that defence is sometimes a more difficult position to play, would rather see a player just be a solid holding mid, nothing fancy, just doing his job, or would u rather see a flashy kind of player that can create opportunities. I know in most tryouts, the case is that the flashiest wingers or dribblers usually get noticed first and picked, so what do you guys think i should do?

2. Mike10

Mike10 Red Card

Apr 16, 2010
    Turn up and play your natural game. Be aware it's a try-out but you shouldn't change your game just because it's a try-out.

3. chuckle490

chuckle490 Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Tennessee, United States
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, but don't be afraid to try something out of the ordinary like a long-shot or a backheel. Play it your way with a little added flair.

4. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thanks for the replies. and yes i know that i should be playing my normal game, but what i was wondering, is which sort of position should i play? as i stated before, i can play as an attacking midfield, box to box or holding. So at the tryouts, i will be playing my normal game, but that would be based off the position i take up. like if i decided at the tryouts that i want to show the assesors that i'm a solid and consistant holding mid, i would play my normal game as i would for a holding mid. High work rate, consistant defence, accurate simple passing, good communication, good jockeying etc.... but if i choose to play as more of an attacking midfield in the tryout, my normal game for that position is dynamic breaks/ runs, lots of through balls, lots of one two's on the fast break , and a lot more taking on of defenders. So, although i understand that i should be playing my normal game, my game varies within positions, so which shouuld i take up in the tryouts to beter get the attention of the tryout people

5. Vaporism

Vaporism Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whichever position YOU feel you are best at. Or whatever position you enjoy the most?

6. davoo

davoo Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

This.

Also, it might be worth simply asking your assessor, which style of midfielder he would like to see. There may be a specific tactic or formation the coach/assessor has in mind.

7. Djodjy

Djodjy New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The thing with tryouts is that you have to stand out. Choose the position that you can play best individually because you don't know how good the people who are trying ou with you are. You obviously have to be team player because it's a team sport but you have to want the play, and do good things with the ball. That's not to say go try to dribble the whole opposition but when you have the chance you should show your individual skills. But you must also show your team skill so be careful and keep a balance between the two. The one thing that will stand you out as a midfielder is taking control of the game. You dictate the tempo and if you do good things with ball (that means good plays not just dribbling) your teammates will start giving you the ball and you will stand out because you are always on the play.
    To sum it up, in the midfield you really wanna play like Iniesta (who i hate by the way) controling abd dictating the game but also simple and effective when necessary.

Good luck

8. laure23

laure23 Member

Jun 30, 2010
    This.

One of my buddies likes to play attacking MF but I'm not the only one who sees him as an exceptional defensive midfielder. You seem confident in all MF roles but I'm sure you excel in one role. Your friends will tell you your best position (You may not like what you hear).

Players hate being pigeon holed but alot of them have one position which they excel in.

9. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Defensive midfielders are just as important as ball artists and playmakers. But regardless, you need to really be in shape. Midfielders run an estimated 10 miles per game.