Trying to improve soccer skills fast.

Discussion in 'Player' started by SoccerDudePike, Oct 21, 2004.

1. SoccerDudePike

SoccerDudePike New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    I used to be pretty involved in soccer about three years ago when I was 11 or so. I wasn't the best player, however, there were some coaches who offered me to be on their travel team. I refused because I have other obligations on weekends. I haven't been active at all in soccer in the last 3 years, but now that I'm in 9th grade I have an urge to try to make the JV team next year. I've got a year or so to get back in the game and get good again, but do you think that is enough time to make up for 3 years? I'm pretty busy now, so playing with some friends in non-competitive games is the most I can really do.

2. OWkEaNe

OWkEaNe New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    NY
    yes if you want to play, go for it, otherwise you will regret it. whats the worst that can happen? you could get cut big deal you are back at square one.

3. yourself

yourself New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Tucson
    Try to find a weekly pickup game or two and get out there as much as you can. If the people are way better than you then don't get discouraged, you will get much better in a couple weeks. If they are a lot worse than you, then try using only your left foot or try to work on something your bad at.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I'd try to juggle the ball for a few hours every day and run a whole bunch of 400 yard/meter dashes. The former will get you a better touch on the ball, the latter will do wonders for your conditioning.

5. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    You sound like a pretty intelligent guy, and form that reason I'm assuming you have a decent enough grasp of the game that you probably don't need to completly bowl people over in order to make the JV team...work on your fitness first and your skills second. If you're really not confident in your skills, and you're doing OK in the fitness department, you need to work on touch, and passing. Work on kicking in non-standard situations... while the ball is going away from you, from odd angles on the run, etc etc. Things you come across all the time in games but rarely in practices.

--edit: I just re-read your message... you have a YEAR to practice? Work on everything. Skills of course, and fitness as well. If you have a good grasp of the game in general, as I suspect, you won't have a problem adjusting from the 11 year old level to the teens, where you are now. The skill level difference probably isn't THAT great.

Play as much pickup as you can.