Try Conor Casey as a Defensive Midfielder or a Center Back

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Beppe, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Beppe

Beppe BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 29, 2004
    Milano
    What do you think of the experiment of turning Conor Casey into a "Viera" type of defensive midfielder or a center back? The guy has guts and a good amount of talent but I don't think he is an amazing forward at the highest level. He might be better off doing a "Spector" and converting and using his experience and trying out the devensive midfielder position. It would kind of be a reverse "Julio Babtista" of Sevilla.

2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    We've got plenty of good center backs already and he's nowhere near the runner needed for a central midfield role.

Besides, he's not moving from forward for his club, and while I know some players play some different spots internationally and with clubs, I think club forward, team defensive mid would be pretty bizarre to say the least. It's just not gonna happen.

3. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Actually I think the best position for Casey is left out.

4. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, he could be a great ball boy in away matches...whether the other kids try rushing the game when we are up or delaying it when we are down,CC can always tackle them at knee level for their troubles....

5. tytomkiel

tytomkiel Red Card

Feb 12, 2002
    San Diego, Ca
    Ive been saying it since he was at Portland this guys sucks....leave him off the roster same with that stump Armas

6. WishHoustonHAdATeam

WishHoustonHAdATeam New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Houston Texas
    Finally someone else who thinks Armas lacks quality.....he is terrible

7. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    one of the worst ideas ever. Similar to Brian McBride in terms strengths/weaknesses, but lacks the quality and big game McBride has.

Armas and Sanneh are has-beens. Should never see time in a US jersey again.

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Conor Casey has to be good as he is playing in the Bundesliga.

9. J_Ibarra

J_Ibarra BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 5, 2005
    Olsen - out

Sanneh - out

Casey - Cuba's defense did not help him, they played a solid game until we scored the second goal.

Conrad, Davis and Armas - need to play on a much higher level than they used to, if they want to be on MNT.

10. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Casey's play makes me long for the days of Jovan Kirovski. If you know what I mean.

11. puddleduck

puddleduck Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Providence, RI
    Yeah, cause no one's ever started long obsessive threads about how Armas sucks before ...

12. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Anyone who saw him at Sydney in 2000 knows he sucks. He was god awful in the olympics, almost singlehandedly responsible for us missing out on a medal. Well, maybe that's a stretch, but I've never seen a guy miss as many sitters as he did in the Olympics until I saw Eddie Johnson in the Youth Championships in late '03. Unlike Johnson, Casey has continued to look like, in Galarceps words, "Lurch...". I have no idea why he's sniffed so many opportunities, poor Twellman, he hasn't shined either, but he hasn't looked like Boris Karloff on the ball either. I don't think it's much to ask of Arena, too leave off a guy whose slow, dragging gait would frighten small children into thinking a new remake of the Shelley classic was being made on a local soccer field in Seattle.

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how 'bout conor casey for the injured list with a knee injury.

:(

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC
    that means he is definitely out for next summer. I don't think he could recover from that to be prepared for the World Cup. So that makes selecting the forwards easier.

But I didn't think he was going to make the WC roster either. EJ, Donovan, McBride, Ching & even Beasley are better.

16. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004

They could use him as a watter boy if .... is in good condition and in shape

17. cyn0979

cyn0979 New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Queens, NY
    How about not trying him at all?

18. BG001

BG001 New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They played him as an attacking midfielder at Mainz the last few games at the end of the season..